2016 Cup of China Short Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 Cup of China Short Dance

Tallorder

On the Ice
Word from team USA friend in Beijing is that when the Shibs drew #1, they both burst into laughter. They seem in high spirits. Skated with even more verve and power during the practice than they did at SA. It was first time noticing the Blades of Glory voice over during the hip hop transition, and she thinks it's hilariously clever.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
assuming the draw's really random...

From the videos I've seen of a draw, it's literally skaters blindly and manually picking a number out of a bag. I guess the order in which they pick a number goes by world standings?

Word from team USA friend in Beijing is that when the Shibs drew #1, they both burst into laughter. They seem in high spirits. Skated with even more verve and power during the practice than they did at SA. It was first time noticing the Blades of Glory voice over during the hip hop transition, and she thinks it's hilariously clever.

That's great to hear.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
From the videos I've seen of a draw, it's literally skaters blindly and manually picking a number out of a bag. I guess the order in which they pick a number goes by world standings? ...

FWIW, I do not think that the order of picking numbers is by world standings.

IIRC, I had read somewhere that the order of picking numbers is alphabetically by country.
I believe one skater initially picks a number that determines where within the alphabet the order of picking numbers will begin.
(I don't know how that one designated skater is selected.)

ETA, I will come back and flesh out what I wrote above.
I had written something earlier that was not quite right.

At least the probability to skate first at GPF is lower, I guess :(

I don't think so?
If I am not mistaken: The probability of drawing first at a GP is 1/10. And at the GPF will be 1/6.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Last night in Petrov's thread, adelia posted a video of the men's draw at Cup of China. (Unfortunately, the link is not working for me this morning.)
I don't remember the full sequence of what I saw, but am 99% sure that the last five skaters to pick a number were in the following order:
Max Aaron, Ross Miner; Patrick Chan; Boyang Jin, Han Yan.​
At least those five would fit the alphabetical by country format.

From what I saw the order of Mens practice was completely alphabetical, by country then skaters. Patrick drew first for the SP so ended up being first at practice and at the competition.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I don't think so?
If I am not mistaken: The probability of drawing first at a GP is 1/10. And at the GPF will be 1/6.

So they don't skate in reverse order in GPF of qualification to GPF? :scratch2:

Good luck to all tomorrow! Escpecially WeaPo and Natalia&Maks! :cheer:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Another American, Courtney Hicks, drew first for the SP and all American Ladies are in the first group.

SP order is random but a place at the last group for the LP has to be earned.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
From what I saw the order of Mens practice was completely alphabetical, by country then skaters. Patrick drew first for the SP so ended up being first at practice and at the competition.

I deleted some of my original post above, because I found a different link for the video that still works.
Sorry that I originally had not remembered things from the video exactly right.

After re-watching the video and refreshing my memory, here is a corrected version of what I deleted from my original post:

A video of the men's draw at Cup of China:

Patrick Chan seemed to be the skater who picked out of the hat first -- to determine where within the alphabet the order of picking numbers would begin. (At least I think that was why Patrick was at the front of the room near the beginning of the video -- before any other skater.)
Then the order of picking starting positions was:
Kovtun, Petrov, Voronov; Aaron, Miner; Chan; Jin, Yan; Brezina; Samohin​
Which would fit the alphabetical by country format:
Russia, USA, Canada, China; Czech R; Israel​

ETA:
When it was Patrick's turn to draw his starting position, he received a round of applause -- as apparently is customary when someone draws #1 :laugh:.​

Hat tip to adelia, who last night posted in Petrov's thread a link (which no longer works for me) to the video of the men's draw.​

ETA:

And now I see that a YouTube version of the video has been posted in the Men's SP thread, thanks to pherx.

When I watched/listened to the YT version, it was clear that at the beginning of the video, Patrick drew #5 out of the hat; then an official immediately said, "#5 is Russia." And then the draw for starting positions began with Kovtun.​

So they don't skate in reverse order in GPF of qualification to GPF? :scratch2: ...

This season's new rule for the random SP draw applies to the GPF too, AFAIK:

Last edited:

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Geez, the Shibs skate first AGAIN?

ikr uggghhhhhh

Shibs are skating first again? Random draw is not their friend :palmf:
It did not hurt them at Skate America.

Then the order of picking starting positions was:
Kovtun, Petrov, Voronov; Aaron, Miner; Chan; Jin, Yan; Brezina; Samohin​
Which would fit the alphabetical by country format:
Russia, USA, Canada, China; Czech R; Israel​
Alphabetical in Chinese? Because it surely is not alphabetical in English (then again, why would it be).

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Alphabetical in Chinese? Because it surely is not alphabetical in English (then again, why would it be).

The first step is to determine where within the (English) alphabet the draw will begin -- as I explained at length above.

In case you have not watched the video for yourself, I will repeat:

Patrick was the first skater to pick a number -- not a number for his starting position, but a number to determine where within the alphabet the draw would begin.

As soon as he drew #5, an official immediately said that #5 was Russia.

Thus the draw for starting positions began with Kovtun of Russia.

The alphabetical order was Russia, USA ... and then (back to the beginning of the English alphabet) Canada, China, Czech R, Israel.

When Canada came up in the alphabetical order, Patrick returned to the front of the room to once again pick a number -- this time, the number that would be his starting position. He drew #1.​

ETA, the official ISU language:

Rule 513
Draws for starting orders

The draw for starting order of the Competitors for each Segment of the event shall be conducted as follows:
1. Short Program/Short Dance or Pattern Dance(s):
a) i) select a Competitor to draw for the ISU Member to start the draw;
ii) draw the starting order of the Competitors proceeding in alphabetical order by ISU Member from the ISU Member drawn to start; ...​

http://static.isu.org/media/1003/20...ce-and-technical-rules-sandp-and-id_final.pdf (see page 81)​

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I actually like random placements like this. It's interesting to compare and contrast and sometimes it has opened my eyes about certain things like levels. I know in ID, which I have trouble judging for myself, watching two teams back to back who are at different skill levels often makes me see that even though I might have enjoyed the lower skilled team skate more then other team is faster, crisper, less hand in hand skating etc. etc.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
The first step is to determine where within the (English) alphabet the draw will begin -- as I explained at length above.

In case you have not watched the video for yourself, I will repeat:

Patrick was the first skater to pick a number -- not a number for his starting position, but a number to determine where within the alphabet the draw would begin.

As soon as he drew #5, an official immediately said that #5 was Russia.

Thus the draw for starting positions began with Kovtun of Russia.

The alphabetical order was Russia, USA ... and then (back to the beginning of the English alphabet) Canada, China, Czech R, Israel.

When Canada came up in the alphabetical order, Patrick returned to the front of the room to once again pick a number -- this time, the number that would be his starting position. He drew #1.​
Thank you, it's clear now. Sorry for not watching the video and not paying very close attention before - just did not have time to do that.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
It will be interesting to see how this competition pans out. I would have the Shibs as favourites, followed by W/P in second and a battle for 3rd between the two Russian couples. It could a critical competition to help establish the pecking order in Russia. I/Z scored very well last week for a routine with low levels, if they get it right it could score well above 100, they may have a slight hold on Russia No. 2 atm.

matcha

Medalist
The good thing for me about the shibs skating first is that it'll be at around 7:30am so I can at least watch them before leaving for work and missing everything else T_T

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hmmm, only five hours till we start! I'm tempted to go to bed now and set an alarm for 2:30AM EST, I have no plans tomorrow and can go back to bed once all the categories are done. :biggrin:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i would do that if 1) i were sleepy now... 2) if i didn't have to work until 8pm tomorrow...
Hmmm, only five hours till we start! I'm tempted to go to bed now and set an alarm for 2:30AM EST, I have no plans tomorrow and can go back to bed once all the categories are done. :biggrin:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh no so you'll miss the whole thing live? :(

COC and NHK are always rough for the North American crowd. I empathize for those of you in Asia and Australia having to stay up late for Skate America and Skate Canada! Now it's our turn.

The things we do for the sport we love.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i just ate a whole bucket of chocolate haagen dasz... OUPS!!!!! so i think i will be up for the first event ;) .. but i will miss men for and pairs
Oh no so you'll miss the whole thing live? :(

COC and NHK are always rough for the North American crowd. I empathize for those of you in Asia and Australia having to stay up late for Skate America and Skate Canada! Now it's our turn.

The things we do for the sport we love.