2017 S.Korea Oly & JGP Selection events | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 S.Korea Oly & JGP Selection events

carotide

Rinkside
Thank you everyone for the updates!!
Does anybody know of protocols are out somewhere?
I always love how Korean competition are judged, that's the proper way to do it. Judges and tech panel are there to tell skaters "This was ok, this you can do better, this was totally wrong, work on it!" and the only way to do it is scoring them according to the handbook, not the "feeling of the day". It may seem harsh, because we're too used to inflation everywhere, but this is actually how you build strong skaters. All my appreciation to Korean judges, really.
Anyways, back to the competition. I enjoyed some programs, I disliked others. It's still early in the season and there's room for adjustments for everyone. For now, Eunsoo seems to be the one who's more ready. She's already well into her programs and skates them with confidence. I am a bit underwhelmed with Young's free, for now it's a bit of a waste of her talent imo. On the other hand, she seems confident with her sp (despite today's mistake) which is good.
Sidenote: I've only watched Ye Lim, Eunsoo and Young's SP and I have to say those steps before 3Lz weren't that much evident.
As I said, there's room for improvement for everyone and hopefully the programs will grow better and better.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Thank you everyone for the updates!!
Does anybody know of protocols are out somewhere?
I always love how Korean competition are judged, that's the proper way to do it. Judges and tech panel are there to tell skaters "This was ok, this you can do better, this was totally wrong, work on it!" and the only way to do it is scoring them according to the handbook, not the "feeling of the day". It may seem harsh, because we're too used to inflation everywhere, but this is actually how you build strong skaters. All my appreciation to Korean judges, really.
you have a point here but there is another question, how does judging in Korean competition affect international judges, if this was another country Yelim's score would have been 70+, not saying that its the right thing to do,
but regardless of judging i am sure skaters know they have to keep improve if they want to be near top :agree:

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Free skating starting orders

JR competition free skating starting orders for tomorrow is up!

Junior Ladies FS
Group1
1 Hyun soo Choi
2 Mi sun Park
3 Bo young Kim
4 Ye eun Seo
5 Ji won Lee
6 Gyohee Jeon

Group2
7 So eun Choi
8 Chae eun Noh
9 Yurim Lee
10 Ji hun To
11 Ji yun Lee
12 Eunbi Ko

Group3
13 Hyun soo Lee
14 Young You
15 Subeen Jeon
16 Yelim Kim
17 Yun kyung Kam
18 Eunsoo Lim

Junior Men FS
Group1
1 Jaeseok Kyeong
2 Sunghoon Park
3 Young hyun Cha
4 Si hyeong Lee
5 Geon hyeong An

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
all those spin levels makes me cringe, those are valuable points :slink: and Yunkyung has the highest TES :clap:

Yep, I noticed that. The step sequences I can understand in a way, but the level 2 spins make me cry a bit. So good job Yunkyung! And she also didn't have any edge calls, unlike some of the other girls.

Edit: I see your back counter 2A. :agree:

Edit 2: Just watched Yelim's SP as well. Those jumps! :yahoo: Loving it.

breadstal

Record Breaker
Yelim and Yunkyung did very well :hap10: Not perfect from Eunsoo and fall from Young but still there are more pros than cons from today for them going into FPs, they still did good overall! I enjoy all four programs, I'm going to watch other programs later. The spins levels though lmao Layback level 2 for Eunsoo and Yelim :laugh: It's just July, so I'm satisfied with how girls performed at the end. Excited for free skates!

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Day1 results & vids

Junior Ladies SP results and vids
Pl. Name Nation SP
1 YELIM KIM KOR 63.95 vid
2 YUNKYUNG KAM KOR 60.77 vid
3 EUNSOO LIM KOR 59.81 vid
4 YOUNG YOU KOR 56.85 vid
5 HYUNSOO LEE KOR 53.27 vid
6 SUBEEN JEON KOR 52.97 vid
7 EUNBI KO KOR 52.67 vid
8 JI YUN LEE KOR 46.73 vid
9 JI HUN TO KOR 45.97 vid
10 SOEUN CHOI KOR 45.45 vid
11 YU RIM LEE KOR 43.69 vid
12 CHAEEUN NOH KOR 43.01 vid
13 HYUNSOO CHOI KOR 41.61 vid
14 JIWON LEE KOR 40.91 vid
15 YEEUN SEO KOR 40.79 vid
16 MISEON PARK KOR 40.14 vid
17 GYO HEE JEON KOR 39.77 vid
18 BOYOUNG KIM KOR 38.07 vid
WD MINSEO YOON KOR

Junior Men SP results and vids
Pl. Name Nation SP
1 SIHYEONG LEE KOR 58.90 vid
2 GEONHYEONG AN KOR 58.13 vid
3 YOUNGHYUN CHA KOR 57.75 vid
4 SUNGHOON PARK KOR 49.45 vid
5 JAESEOK KYEONG KOR 38.21 vid

s_parks

Record Breaker
How many spot does korea have for JGP?

I think they have max 14 spots for both men and ladies? (someone correct me if I'm wrong) For ladies, the top 5 get 2 assignments each and 6th-9th get 1 each. There will be unused spots for junior men as korea requires skaters to be level 7 or 8 to compete for jgp assignments.

Kara

Final Flight
I think they have max 14 spots for both men and ladies? (someone correct me if I'm wrong) For ladies, the top 5 get 2 assignments each and 6th-9th get 1 each. There will be unused spots for junior men as korea requires skaters to be level 7 or 8 to compete for jgp assignments.

Wait, does this mean that the 5 junior male skaters who competed in this competition won't get 2 JGP spots even though there are plenty of spots??:unsure: What a massive waste...:dev2:

Using poor Bing translations on Twitter, I've read some tweets saying that there were some technical issues with music playing and stuff during the junior ladies SP yesterday which was the reason the schedule got delayed so much. This might have contributed to everyone's overall nervousness yesterday? I know I would feel uneasy if I had even the slightest thought in the back of my mind that the music might stop on me in the middle of a routine on top of having to wait even longer to perform.:disapp:

Eunsoo was just so smooth though. The expressions and sassy looks she gives during the start and her step sequence..:drama: I wasn't totally in love with her SP unlike her FP which blew me absolutely away in just 1 practice video, but in competition with her costume, I'm once again overwhelmed by her talent in expression. She can sell me anything.

Yelim!! Her jumps were looking great and I still can't express how much I love the move at the whistle. The sparkles on her costume are also really pretty.:) Her presentation has really improved and she just flew on that rippon lutz!

Yunkyung!! The only one with all lvl 4 spin lvls.:luv17: She's so much faster and has better use of her upper arms in the step sequence than in last year's SP. Her face is as stoic as ever, but I'm actually even more charmed by that.:laugh: The only expression I managed to catch was the small smile she did when she slightly slipped in her step sequence. Sad she's not bringing back her layback from last year, but the one she has now is still the best out of the top 4 girls IMO. Also, I love the front and back of her costume, but are those gaps on the sides really necessary?:noshake: Like from a fashion standpoint.

I'm sure Young is the most disappointed right now because she said her goal was to go clean.:( I still think the program itself is choreographed really well though I wish she'd stretch out her arms more. Of course it's not even the beginning of the season so she has plenty of time to improve and when she does, it'll be glorious. I remember having the same issue with her SP last year and by the end those concerns were gone.:clap:

The lost spin levels kill me the most because those are a lot of points they're giving away. I looked at JWC's protocols again and what really set Zagitova apart tech-wise was her levels and how high the GOEs she received on everything, not just jumps.:/ But once again I'm just prematurely panicking when the season hasn't even officially started yet.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Wait, does this mean that the 5 junior male skaters who competed in this competition won't get 2 JGP spots even though there are plenty of spots??:unsure: What a massive waste...:dev2:

Huh? I'm sure the jr men competing all get spots. Unless I got the rules wrong for them and ksu is even more demented than I thought.

s_parks

Record Breaker
So according to korean tweets, the rink sucks, including a leaking roof. Wonderful...

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Now there are junior ladies fs going on.
After second group, top 3 of total score is
Ji hun To 141.56
Eunbi Ko 141.15
Ji yun Lee 129.46

been qualified to JGP!! Congratulation:thumbsup:

Now final group just started warm up. Go girls!!!:luv17:

Kara

Final Flight
Huh? I'm sure the jr men competing all get spots. Unless I got the rules wrong for them and ksu is even more demented than I thought.

Oh I wouldn't know for sure! I was just asking because I can't read Korean well at all. Glad they all do though.

So according to korean tweets, the rink sucks, including a leaking roof. Wonderful...

:palmf: Now this is just embarrassing. This is what the state they let skaters practice in and hold OLYMPIC qualifying events in?:frown: