2015-2016 Russian Nationals Ladies SP | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2015-2016 Russian Nationals Ladies SP

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I still think people over exaggerate her 2a. To me this 2a is one of my favorites ever and so well done from entry to exit. It's a perfect use of a jump and choreography that spans a mere 10 seconds and could easily garner decent positive GOE.

https://youtu.be/JsO8AxKQnsE?t=1m1s

Her take off can be sketchy but it's been solid all season and she lands on a running edge better than most ladies. I'm so happy they brought back the backward leg lift into an Ina Bauer right out of the 2a. IIRC during test skates she was doing the Sasha Cohen turn right after the 2a but they dropped the whole thing and then moved the 2a altogether to right before a spin and StSeq.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJTIbRcPCIA&t=62 These ones...

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
And Yulia looks like my sister! She reminds me of her, even in temperament and demeanor from what it seems. So great to see such a new energy and program, and the first time she seems to let her emotions out this way :luv17:

The more she grows the more she reminds me of my younger sister, still very different but an uncanny resemblance at time.

I couldn't belive my eyes when I looked up the result and had to come over here to be sure. Congratulations Yulia!!! What a Christmas triumph.

Edit: After reading the rest of the thread I can't wait to to watch the programs tomorrow after I can watch them on my laptop.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Seeing Julia and Anna skate so well made my day :D. They are both so lovely, nice to see them so confident, when they are on they are fabulous and as deserving of the Euros/Worlds teams/podium here as anyone else IMO. Yay.

FIREBIRD

On the Ice
Just saw the results! So happy for Yulia, Anna, and Elena! All three girls have been going through their own demons but fought through today! :dev2::yahoo:

IlVoloFan

Final Flight
Country
Turkey
Soooo happy for my Elena I love youu :love: By the way in results page I can't see free skating starting order ?? Anyone know it ?

Last edited:

Zhenya is DIVINE

On the Ice
Country
Russia
I hate the per-country rules! Russia deserves 5 or 6 spots for Worlds, at least!

I'll be white-knuckling it for Yulia tomorrow! It feels like Sasha Cohen all over again. :cry: But like Sasha, she is so divine when she is on! I will be shocked if she skates well enough to stay on the podium, but I am putting it out there in the universe because I want that more than anything for her! She is such a sweet young woman and deserves it more than anyone after the last year and a half she has had.

I really hope Zhenya can claim her first of hopefully many National titles. :love:

This competition could also double as a beauty pageant as well! So many of the Russian girls are just gorgeous!! Pogorilaya, Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, Sotskova. Just wow!! :luv17:

Last edited:

FIREBIRD

On the Ice
I am loling at some commentators who are arguing abut the “queen” status. Are you serious? The women gymnast Larisa Latynina won 9 gold medals, 5 silver, and 4 bronze for an overall 18 Olympic medals. The only person to ever beat her medal record was Michael Phelps and that took a long time. Yet, she was never called “queen.” In my opinion, being called queen does not automatically make you more special than everyone else. Even queens get beheaded or dethroned.Just ask Marie Antoinette.:disapp:

Zhenya is DIVINE

On the Ice
Country
Russia
LOL some of the fans get way too defensive about this whole "queen" thing. On another message board, some fan flipped out because someone referred to Liza as "Queen Tukt". I think he's one of those deranged Yuna fans. :disapp:

Bumdid

Record Breaker
Honestly, people should just realize that 'Queen', 'Princess', etc are just funny affectations that we put when we're fan of a skater. Sometimes, there's no bigger meaning attached to it. I think we should put better effort in doing something else than arguing over the use of one word.

Rissa

Record Breaker
I am loling at some commentators who are arguing abut the “queen” status. Are you serious? The women gymnast Larisa Latynina won 9 gold medals, 5 silver, and 4 bronze for an overall 18 Olympic medals. The only person to ever beat her medal record was Michael Phelps and that took a long time. Yet, she was never called “queen.” In my opinion, being called queen does not automatically make you more special than everyone else. Even queens get beheaded or dethroned.Just ask Marie Antoinette.:disapp:

Comparing fan affectations to a historical execution? Someone is really treating this whole queen thing waaaay too seriously. A whole new level of too seriously, actually, lol.

Last edited:

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
Sotnikova needs to tone down her makeup. She's been taking contouring lessons from Kylie Jenner.

Tukt will be back with a vengeance next season (if not tomorrow)

Pogorilaya is too much of a magnificent headcase that even if she makes it to Worlds, she'll probably implode there.

I agree with you on every count. Sotnikova is so pretty! But too much makeup kinda ruins it :(
And Pogorilaya can say goodbye to World's, Euros can be something for her...

I'm surprised so many people are underestimating Tsurskaya. For the past few years it's been Russia's top 2 seniors plus the top junior skater on the podium. It was Radionova in 2014, Medvedeva 2015, I think it'll be Tsurskaya this year. And probably next year :)

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
SO PROUD OF YULIA!! Everything about the routine was great except: the spins. They are a mess. So her Layback isn't so bad, but I have to rewatch each spin like 216 times to count each revolution. On the flying camel spin, she's like traveling so much on the donut and then that BEAUTIFUL teardrop position, but she doesn't hold it long enough and then she holds on to her foot as she lets go of it. Her combo spin... ugh, just stick to your old combo man!! It was awesome! Other than that, I loved it!! Perhaps the tano isn't ready yet but...

FIREBIRD

On the Ice
Comparing fan affectations to a historical execution? Someone is really treating this whole queen thing waaaay too seriously. A whole new level of too seriously, actually, lol.

Lol, no I'am not. That was a figure of speech. One day your the "queen" and on top, the next someone comes along and you may find yourself on the bottom as a "pheasant" haha jk :laugh:. And the Antoinette reference was more for flair, then historical purpose. Pages and pages of arguing over weather Evgenia or Elena deserves to be called a "queen" is taking something too seriously. Besides, the perfect nickname for Elena would be Supernova. It's catchy and it rhymes. :p

randomfan

Record Breaker
What a day! So many skaters did well and there were so many to watch.

1. Evgenia: I love how insanely consistent she is! Since we all expect nationals inflation at every national event, I don't mind the high score...at least not that much. Even with the inflation, I'd give her a 76 at the most. I was honestly a bit surprised that the judges didn't have her score higher than Yuna's 80.60 at 2013-2014 nationals, but it's just nationals, so it probably doesn't even matter.
2. Elena: Every competition, she keeps proving me wrong. I was sure that she may struggle a lot this season, but she has been on every podium so far for the competitions she did, so by now it's clear that her growing issues are not bothering her. I preferred Elena's performance over Evgenia's, but 2nd is still solid.
3. Yulia: Best performance of the SP for me. Seems like she's getting back on track! Yulia was absolutely wonderful. She has improved so much, and I really want to see her at Euros and Worlds. I hope she has another great skate!
4. Anna: After NHK, I was worried about her condition. So it was so heartwarming to see her do so good here. I do wish she was a bit closer to the top 3, but she's still in a great position to medal.
5. Polina: She was great as always, but is it just me or did today's performance feel a bit empty? She gave more passion and energy during the JGP series so today's SP felt a bit weak compared to what she did before.
6. Adelina: I have no idea where they got that score from. Yes, nationals inflation is happening but no way did that deserve to be over Maria Sotskova. Adelina was good performance-wise, but she seems to be struggling a lot technically.
EDIT: Oops, I got the order wrong for #7 and #8.
7. Alena: She did so well until the fall. :( Still a pleasant program, but this SP is starting to not be that appealing to me anymore. When I first saw it, I loved it because it was so fun and innovative, but seeing it for a second season is a bit...
8. Maria: She had every right to be ahead of Sotnikova...and I guess Leonova too. Probably skating right after Sotnikova and a bit after Leonova had something to do with it.
9. Elizaveta: The 3A seemed rotated or at least almost rotated. But she still seems to be struggling even with the program change. To be honest, I actually did not mind her Carmina Bunera (is that how you spell it?) program that much. But the reason I was glad to see it go was because 1)The first dress was not appealing at all, while the second dress was completely hideous, and 2)The mood of the program was way too similar to the FS (which I actually preferred over the SP).
12. Serafima: I'm so devastated for her. I thought she deserved at least a slightly higher score than 59.59. Whoever thought of the entry to the axel was clearly not thinking straight though. :(

I'm expecting a (nationals-)world record score tomorrow IF Evgenia goes clean. If she does not, then it will be a pretty interesting result.

Last edited:

Batsuchan

Medalist

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Sotskova was robbed. Very harshly marked on PCS, I would have her in 6th place. Sotnikova was gifted her marks, TES generous and PCS way overmarked, that skate is not competitive at a world level (possibly at Europeans)

Medvedeva deserves her lead, I love that short programme. Radionova came out all guns blaze and give it 100%. Lipnitskaya was fantastic the tano lutz and double axel looked very good. She looked so happy after the skate and very relaxed with Urmanov, a great start to their working relationship. Anna P has definitely a shot at the podium, that was the best she skated this programme all year. Polina T is confirming No. 1 Junior status, the jumps are impressive and I like her style. Disappointing for Liza T but the 3A is not working and it is throwing the rest of the programme off.

A high quality competition. I think 1st and 2nd are gone but 3rd place is wide open.

Last edited: