Record Breaker
Just a personal ranking of the top ladies' programs, purely IMO:

Gracie/Adelina
Elena
Mao
Rika
Anna
Ashley
Satoko (beautiful programs that leave me feeling cold, tbh)
Liza

I like intricate, well-executed choreography. And even better if it's full of drama. Even if people don't like the spoken words in Elena's programs--which I could without--there's a LOT in those programs that she really pulls off and she sells it. I like that she's doing dramatic programs this season instead of sticking with the upbeat programs where she could smile. Nothing wrong with Elena's upbeat programs, but she's really showing that she can sell an upbeat performance as well as a more dramatic one.

What about Soyoun Park's Red Violin LP? That one is my personal fave.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I agree about Julia's iSpin (obviously) but I also follow a girl on Instagram who does one just about as well and I have no idea who she is :laugh:

https://instagram.com/p/3DpmYqKQ-Z/
Can anyone identify her for me :slink:

I know her name is Anya Afonya but I don't remember hearing it before.

She might be Afonina Anna, a former skater:) Anyway. she isn't competing now. So basically "Afonya" would typically stand for Afonina, Afanasieva to a less degree. Hope that helped

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not much to add here - I watched most of the top ladies on the B. Eurosport Videos. Why did Nicky and Chris keep saying the Japan Open was not an international competition during Mao's program? Otherwise, I did like their commentary.

Rika was great - I still think her Biellmann is one of the ugliest out there but she really sells that Riverdance and loves the music. Much better than Carmen. I loved Mao even with the mistakes and think she deserved to win here, even with only a 2 point lead. Good for Elena fighting back and sorry for Anna since they were so close. Seems that the Russian ladies are having issues with consistency this season but the fight is there.

Happy that Karen got 5th place again - good for her. I do love her spirals and spins. Her jumps are a bit wild on the landings so she need to work on controlling them with all the speed she gets.

I noticed that many of the ladies had problems with their loop jumps today (pops, falls, etc) - wonder what's in the water in Beijing?

adelia

Record Breaker
I agree about Julia's iSpin (obviously) but I also follow a girl on Instagram who does one just about as well and I have no idea who she is :laugh:

https://instagram.com/p/3DpmYqKQ-Z/
Can anyone identify her for me :slink:

I know her name is Anya Afonya but I don't remember hearing it before.
Her name is Anna Afonkina, a former skater coached by Lutai. Born in Russia but skated for Bulgaria. She used to attend Mishin's summer camps. Retired 1-2 years ago, a very tall girl, much too tall for skating but extremely flexible.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I noticed that many of the ladies had problems with their loop jumps today (pops, falls, etc) - wonder what's in the water in Beijing?

It's not nicknamed Cup of Disaster for nothing. :slink:

This was actually a fairly uneventful event disaster-wise...phew! :laugh2:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Her name is Anna Afonkina, a former skater coached by Lutai. Born in Russia but skated for Bulgaria. She used to attend Mishin's summer camps. Retired 1-2 years ago, a very tall girl, much too tall for skating but extremely flexible.

Oh! I should have read the comments to that video to know her surname:D Афонькина)))Afonkina

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
I have many thoughts after CoC.. it was a very interesting competition. But I think what excites me the most is how this season is shaping up. I am on the edge of my seat, and after Mao's performance, I really feel it's anyone's game! This is exciting stuff! So much better then the utterly boring Russian domination last year.

rain

Record Breaker
Okay, Radionova. I thought she skated that well, for sure. But there are several things about her skating that I just find so distracting, in a detrimental way. First off, ditch the dialogue in the music, now. It's horribly, needlessly distracting. It doesn't work on any level. She also has seemingly permanently hunched shoulders. I can't not see it in everything she does. Next, the flailing dramatic arms need to be given a break, and that program needs to be way less frantic. It races around the rink without choreographically taking a breath. This really lessens any impact of it.

This all sounds like I dislike her, but that's really not the case. I think some of this stuff is really easily fixable and I hope her team does it. I'm just not sure they see some of these things, e.g. the hunched shoulders which have always been a problem and are allowed to continue, years after year.

mary01

Final Flight
minze, Mao's free skate was the worst if comparing with other 1st places. URs problem, bad lutz edge and so on. Same Mao, same problems:shrug:

maybe you should look at the protocols before speaking, like quite a few on this forum, she did not get an edge call, but an !

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What about Soyoun Park's Red Violin LP? That one is my personal fave.

Yes it is nice but she would not be considered probably the top six or even eight. 3 Japanese, 3 Americans and even with Russia struggling a good two or 3 of them before you get to Ms. Park. I think it was the top contenders the rankings were based upon.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
maybe you should look at the protocols before speaking, like quite a few on this forum, she did not get an edge call, but an !

Well to be exact she had an unclear edge call :biggrin:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Weird tech issues for Mao but her skating skills and quality are a class above anyone else competing so...meh.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I like Mao's steps and choreography sequence, still top of the class. :luv17:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia

Whatever. The main point is that she has some work to do before the next start:p

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Rika was the star here at the COC for the ladies. Nicely skated, strong and consistent. I am not totally sold on her version of Riverdance. After seeing on youtube Bourne and Kraatz and even Brown this is down the list a bit. wow it is going be a great battle at Japanese nationals. It is a real reality that Russia might not have any lady on the world podium and only 1 lady in the GP final. That being said skating in ladies well all events might be for one of the first time without clear leaders. On would think Mao would clearly lead the ladies but forget Mao's closes and most dedicated fans she didn't win the fs and when she misses elements and loses her confidence the edges and flow are affected. Of course if she had skated cleanly or at least with out struggles on jumps she has nice flow. But she doesn't have the assurety and confidence and consistency of Yuna who you could count on to get the job done cleanly and effortlessly. Even Mao's preparation for the more difficult elements looks like she is thinking versus say Chan who even when he prepares it looks like part of the program with great flow. I am exaggerating but almost all skaters onbig elements look like they are taking a great big run at it before they jump. Mao has amazing flow and grace when on though. As or comments about her look it is lcear lavender is her fave color. It is pretty but not necessarily ideal or complementary to her Madame butterfly program forget her skin color. I think she likes the color as she has worn it many times but it is a very "cool" color and Madame butterfly has a lot of warmth and drama and highlight pont so a deep crimson or orange or evne pink with a red tone would be better. This lavender is better for ethereal programs for lack of words. That being said it is official It is a dog fight in the ladies three lovely Japanese ladies, two strong looking American princesses with attitude and a dog fight for the third spot and a mess on the Russian team - though a mess a lot of nations would love. Sure Med seems a bit young and untested and everyone else is struggling but their struggling skaters Liza, Rad, Adelina, Alena, Anna let alone Alena and Julia who have all but been forgotten is not a horrible situation comparatively. Interesting the door is open for Mirai to show some 2010 form and win it all - but ice is slippery.

iceberg

On the Ice
Can I just say what a great crowd there was in Cup of China? It felt like watching worlds! [emoji122]

My thoughts:

Elena : Gorgeous supermodelesk girl. Although I still think she needs refinement on her movements and her entrance and landing positions to her jumps, i actually like her kind of programs this season.

Karen : I just recently realized in SA how good she is and her spiral is to die for! However i felt like she also needs more refinement on her over all skating skills. Sometimes she tend to rush her movements and extensions. I can feel a huge potential in her.

Rika : I have to say that lp was awesome! She had really nice flowy entrance to her jumps which looked secured and easy. Nice choreography. I see her as a technical skater as supposed to an artistic skater. She could excel so much in that department.

Anna : I fell in love with her in 2014 worlds. For me her lp then is one of the most unforgettable. This time though I feel sorry for her. she falls so hard from her jumps. I think she hasnt found yet the right jumping technique for her always tends to be off circle. But i love her presentation. She may not be the most flexible but her delivery and interpretation is superb. I feel like shes so alive accross the ice. And for me she has one of the most difficult programs this season. I just love her shes gorgeous and such a fighter!

Mao : I love that the brit commentators compared her to PChan in terms of caliber in skating skills. Its just funny to me until now some people question her superb skating skills. Yes it was a flawed lp in technical aspect but over all i think its still a beautiful program. And I think her pcs should just be high the softness and flowy elegant skating she delivers which is amazing because she generates an amount of speed but still seems so soft and elegant through her edge works. And the only skater i saw the with the same is kostner. Shes the only one i can say who can touch mao in terms of skating skills.

I really enjoyed CoC!

minze

Medalist
can i just say what a great crowd there was in cup of china? It felt like watching worlds! [emoji122]

my thoughts:

Elena : Gorgeous supermodelesk girl. Although i still think she needs refinement on her movements and her entrance and landing positions to her jumps, i actually like her kind of programs this season.

Karen : I just recently realized in sa how good she is and her spiral is to die for! However i felt like she also needs more refinement on her over all skating skills. Sometimes she tend to rush her movements and extensions. I can feel a huge potential in her.

Rika : I have to say that lp was awesome! She had really nice flowy entrance to her jumps which looked secured and easy. Nice choreography. I see her as a technical skater as supposed to an artistic skater. She could excel so much in that department.

Anna : I fell in love with her in 2014 worlds. For me her lp then is one of the most unforgettable. This time though i feel sorry for her. She falls so hard from her jumps. I think she hasnt found yet the right jumping technique for her always tends to be off circle. But i love her presentation. She may not be the most flexible but her delivery and interpretation is superb. I feel like shes so alive accross the ice. And for me she has one of the most difficult programs this season. I just love her shes gorgeous and such a fighter!

mao : I love that the brit commentators compared her to pchan in terms of caliber in skating skills. Its just funny to me until now some people question her superb skating skills. Yes it was a flawed lp in technical aspect but over all i think its still a beautiful program. And i think her pcs should just be high the softness and flowy elegant skating she delivers which is amazing because she generates an amount of speed but still seems so soft and elegant through her edge works. And the only skater i saw the with the same is kostner. Shes the only one i can say who can touch mao in terms of skating skills.

I really enjoyed coc!

this