2015 Glacier Falls Summer Classic, July 30-Aug. 2, Anaheim, CA | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2015 Glacier Falls Summer Classic, July 30-Aug. 2, Anaheim, CA

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Does anyone know where else Jason is competing for the rest of 2015/2016? Does he have any more competitions that will be on the West Coast?

He's slated for:
GP Japan: NHK Trophy
GP U.S.: Skate America (Milwaukee)
Nationals: St. Paul

And presumably,
4CC: Taipei
Worlds: Boston.

He may also compete in Nebelhorn in Germany.

I doubt he will have any other performances on the West Coast after this weekend. The closest *might* be if he competes at the U.S. International Classic in a couple months, which is usually held at Salt Lake City.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
He's slated for:
GP Japan: NHK Trophy
GP U.S.: Skate America (Milwaukee)
Nationals: St. Paul

And presumably,
4CC: Taipei
Worlds: Boston.

He may also compete in Nebelhorn in Germany.

I doubt he will have any other performances on the West Coast after this weekend. The closest *might* be if he competes at the U.S. International Classic in a couple months, which is usually held at Salt Lake City.

There is also the possibility of the Challenge Cup team event, which Spokane (Wash.) is a candidate city. That wouldn't be until April, a few weeks after Worlds.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
One pleasant surprise was Mariah.... She skated relatively well but what I liked the most is I'm pretty sure she was skating to music from the film Platoon which is unusual for a female skater. Really sets her apart from most female music choices. I also felt it worked well with her black sequin dress.

Mariah's FS music is from the Movie Soundtrack 'Saving Private Ryan'.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mariah's FS music is from the Movie Soundtrack 'Saving Private Ryan'.

I thought it was "Born on the Fourth of July"? (Hence the references to Nancy Kerrigan).

Well, it's some war, or the effects of war, movie;)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, it's "Born on the 4th of July."

Does anyone know what her SP music is? It sounds Riverdanc-y.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Someone who made a statement here was Nathan Chen. It's obvious to me he's more then ready to compete against top Senior Men since he just beat all of them here. He already might have the best quad among US men and it's getting consistent and unlike Max he can land a triple toe right after. If he stays healthy i can see him top 4 at Nationals.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Someone who made a statement here was Nathan Chen. It's obvious to me he's more then ready to compete against top Senior Men since he just beat all of them here. He already might have the best quad among US men and it's getting consistent and unlike Max he can land a triple toe right after. If he stays healthy i can see him top 4 at Nationals.

I know he's staying on the JGP circuit this fall, but he could conceivably make top 3 at Nationals and be sent to 4CC/Worlds, couldn't he? It just seems like he's been a junior forever and has already medaled at both JGPF and Junior Worlds, so isn't it time to move up already? He said something about not having enough points to get Senior GPs on the TSL interview, but I don't know... They could at least give him the TBA spot at Skate America.

Last edited:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Nathan (or anyone, as I understand it) is not allowed to compete both junior and senior levels on an international level during the same year. He does not have enough points to qualify for more than 1 senior grand prix. Thus the decision to stay junior at an international level this year.

It does seem like it is taking a long time for him to get the the full senior level. Two reasons -

1- He was too young even for the junior international level for a long time.
2- Growth related injuries have slowed his ability to compete.

Nathan's team has been excellent at managing his career. No one has had to be more patient than Nathan, himself. I will try to be patient as well. I agree with other posters and think he could easily be on the podium at Nationals. I think he could win it. (I thought so last year, too.) We will see if injuries and growth continue to require more patience.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I know he's staying on the JGP circuit this fall, but he could conceivably make top 3 at Nationals and be sent to 4CC/Worlds, couldn't he? It just seems like he's been a junior forever and has already medaled at both JGPF and Junior Worlds, so isn't it time to move up already? He said something about not having enough points to get Senior GPs on the TSL interview, but I don't know... They could at least give him the TBA spot at Skate America.

Nathan (or anyone, as I understand it) is not allowed to compete both junior and senior levels on an international level during the same year. He does not have enough points to qualify for more than 1 senior grand prix. Thus the decision to stay junior at an international level this year.

It does seem like it is taking a long time for him to get the the full senior level. Two reasons -

1- He was too young even for the junior international level for a long time.
2- Growth related injuries have slowed his ability to compete.

Nathan's team has been excellent at managing his career. No one has had to be more patient than Nathan, himself. I will try to be patient as well. I agree with other posters and think he could easily be on the podium at Nationals. I think he could win it. (I thought so last year, too.) We will see if injuries and growth continue to require more patience.

A few comments.

1.) Since he's on the JGP, Nathan's season starts much earlier. The first JGP is this month, so his first JGP is in the net few weeks. The senior men international season, in essence, starts in September with Senior B events. So Nathan, by design, will have to be ready sooner and progress sooner.

2.) Yes, he can compete on the JGP and then do senior events later in the season. Richard Dornbush won JGP in the fall of 2010 before placing second at U.S. Nationals and getting on the Worlds Team. The most recent example, of course, is Polina Edmunds, who was on the JGP and then placed second to get on the Olympic and Worlds team.

3.) There is an advantage to staying junior in that he can get more world points ranking high in JGP/Jr/ Worlds then muddling in the middle in seniors. Jason, for example, had decent starting order for his senior events cause he had racked up so many points with his juniors success.

4.) And yes, given his injuries, it ight be best to not rush through things.

LeCygne

Final Flight

His health is definitely the main priority, so all of this is assuming he is able to stay healthy. But I don't think the above is true, since Nam Nguyen completed in both Junior Worlds and Senior Worlds in 2014 and of course Polina Edmunds made the Olympic and World teams in 2014 after competing on the JGP circuit earlier that season.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Eveline Brunner was on the JGP last season then did Euro's and WC after winning the Swiss Senior Nationals event. Then she retired :cry:

As for Nathan I would think taking a run at a JWC could payoff more than a top ten in a senior international event.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Eveline Brunner was on the JGP last season then did Euro's and WC after winning the Swiss Senior Nationals event. Then she retired :cry:

As for Nathan I would think taking a run at a JWC could payoff more than a top ten in a senior international event.

Not sure about that. Even if he could only land on GP event it would be worth it. He's the future of US men in my opinion and i see him as worthy if not more so of getting a GP then someone like Grant Hochstein or Ross Miner who both don't have the potential of Nathan and are much older and will probably finish lower in their GP then Nathan probably would.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Not sure about that. Even if he could only land on GP event it would be worth it. He's the future of US men in my opinion and i see him as worthy if not more so of getting a GP then someone like Grant Hochstein or Ross Miner who both don't have the potential of Nathan and are much older and will probably finish lower in their GP then Nathan probably would.

We're talking about what's worth it for *him*, not for U.S. skating, though the two are obviously highly connected. Nathan doing better in the junior circuit and getting more points = better starting orders/reputation/placements in the future. As you said, he is the "future of US men"... why does he have to be put in senior GPs just so he can place higher than Grant or Ross would?

And again, as everyone says, if he does well, he could still make it to Senior Worlds. It would be a strong statement to win Junior Worlds and then show up on the Senior Worlds team. Note that he is still extremely young -- the youngest Glacier Falls, for instance, but also the youngest out of all the senior men at Nationals I believe (at least out of the top 10 if not the whole crowd). There is no rush.

Bottom line: If he is meant to dominate the U.S. men this season, he will. Whether he places 3rd through 6th at one senior GP versus winning JGP golds/JGPF... the USFSA will reward him at senior nationals either route. The Junior route just yields more long-term rewards.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
unlike Max he can land a triple toe right after.

Oh, I guess I was dreaming those times I saw Max land a triple right after a quad. Guess the judges were too. Guess the videos, particularly of him at the jumps event at the Broadmoor, are all somehow fakes and staged.

Man oh man I would love to see Max, Jason and Joshua come out and totally beat the rest of the opposition from pillar to post this season just to shut you up. But I'm sure even then you'd find something to whinge about.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, I guess I was dreaming those times I saw Max land a triple right after a quad. Guess the judges were too. Guess the videos, particularly of him at the jumps event at the Broadmoor, are all somehow fakes and staged.

Man oh man I would love to see Max, Jason and Joshua come out and totally beat the rest of the opposition from pillar to post this season just to shut you up. But I'm sure even then you'd find something to whinge about.

Not completely on point for Glacier Falls, but I thought it was me ... the great drumbeat for Nathan (and don't get me wrong, he has had enormously impressive skates, and is a confident and talented young man, even if my fav junior is Andrew Torgashev :love:) was less about how wonderful Nathan was than how all the other American men were going to skate away in terror because Nathan lands quads.

Nathan is impressive. But Jason, Josh, Max, and may I add, Adam, have no need to be skating scared, and Nathan is not the US last best hope for anything. Let them all skate lights out and we'll see what happens in January. It's still 90 degrees here, so it ain't January yet;)

Meoima

Match Penalty
It's still not in season yet, so top skaters are not in form. Actually those that peak at this time should worry more IMO.