2015 Glacier Falls Summer Classic, July 30-Aug. 2, Anaheim, CA | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2015 Glacier Falls Summer Classic, July 30-Aug. 2, Anaheim, CA

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's still not in season yet, so top skaters are not in form. Actually those that peak at this time should worry more IMO.
Nathan is preparing for Juniors so he will be ready to go, at least in theory, sooner than the seniors since JGP happens first in its entirety. Although it will be to his advantage to have youthful spirits at work on the inside. Not to mention those youthful bones :)

Still....Nathan had a great skate and that should be celebrated but I think putting too much pressure on him because of that is unnecessary. I see no need to compare him to or downplay his senior teammates :think:

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Nathan is preparing for Juniors so he will be ready to go, at least in theory, sooner than the seniors since JGP happens first in its entirety. Although it will be to his advantage to have youthful spirits at work on the inside. Not to mention those youthful bones :)

Still....Nathan had a great skate and that should be celebrated but I think putting too much pressure on him because of that is unnecessary. I see no need to compare him to or downplay his senior teammates :think:
I mean top skaters aka Jason, Gracie, Polina, not junior. It would be more worrying for them to do well at this time IMO. So their jumps are off in the summer isn't a big deal.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I mean top skaters aka Jason, Gracie, Polina, not junior. It would be more worrying for them to do well at this time IMO. So their jumps are off in the summer isn't a big deal.

Oh yeah. I'm agreeing with you. :)

I was just piggybacking on your point and adding my own also. Sorry if it was unclear.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sean Rabbitt posted a link to his FS

https://twitter.com/SeanRabbitt/status/628226638300315648

I am linking to the tweet at the video is unlisted - but the skater them-self is sharing it so it seems fair to at least share the tweet.

Thx, Stitch :).

I agree 1000% with not posting a direct link to unlisted video. :agree:
Like you, I prefer to post instead the link showing the source of the link to the unlisted video.

I was very touched by Sean Rabbitt's post on Instagram about his FS.
Some of what Sean wrote is in Japanese, but I am copying and pasting his words in English (https://instagram.com/p/52OkC3CeVG/, Aug 1):

Tonight will be a very special night. One year ago my very good skating fan and now very good friend @Sayuricchi unexpectedly lost her husband upon returning from supporting the skaters at Glacier Falls Summer Classic. She has always been a huge supporter of mine as well as her husband and both she and Mike have such a big heart. Tonight Sayuri, I will be skating from my heart even more than normal and will dedicating my Freeskate to Mike. Hope you have a great last trip with Mike. ...

Doug Mattis then responded with a positive comment, to which Sean added:

... skating is made popular due to people like Sayuri and they are who motivate me to do my best. I wouldn't do anything less. Tonight I think I made Mike proud.

Lovely to see Sean's deep connection to his fans.
Wishing him much continued success.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S COMPETITION - RESULTS & VIDEOS

1. Nathan Chen - 253.71 Short Program, Free Skate, Interview
2. Grant Hochstein - 239.49 Short Program, Free Skate
3. Tim Dolensky - 222.03
4. Sean Rabbitt - 201.23 Short Program, Free Skate
5. Brendan Kerry - 194.96 Free Skate
6. Jason Brown - 191.90 Short Program, Free Skate
8. Daniel Samohin - 183.15 Short Program
10. Jordan Moeller - 170.92 Short Program
WD: Richard Dornbush Short Program

LADIES COMPETITION - RESULTS & VIDEOS

1. Gracie Gold - 202.54 Short Program, Free Skate
2. Courtney Hicks - 173.05 Short Program, Free Skate
3. Mariah Bell - 166.41 Free Skate
4. Polina Edmunds - 160.09 Short Program, Free Skate
5. Tyler Pierce - 145.40
8. Carly Gold - 117.41 Short Program, Free Skate
WD: Karen Chen Short Program

This YouTube channel here (TSL) is continuing to upload videos.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Article from IN on the ladies event:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/08/03/140874772

I was very touched by Sean Rabbitt's post on Instagram about his FS.
Some of what Sean wrote is in Japanese, but I am copying and pasting his words in English (https://instagram.com/p/52OkC3CeVG/, Aug 1):

Tonight will be a very special night. One year ago my very good skating fan and now very good friend @Sayuricchi unexpectedly lost her husband upon returning from supporting the skaters at Glacier Falls Summer Classic. She has always been a huge supporter of mine as well as her husband and both she and Mike have such a big heart. Tonight Sayuri, I will be skating from my heart even more than normal and will dedicating my Freeskate to Mike. Hope you have a great last trip with Mike. ...

Doug Mattis then responded with a positive comment, to which Sean added:

... skating is made popular due to people like Sayuri and they are who motivate me to do my best. I wouldn't do anything less. Tonight I think I made Mike proud.

Lovely to see Sean's deep connection to his fans.
Wishing him much continued success.

Sayuri is a really awesome fan! She and her group of friends (some came from Japan, Sayuri is based in the U.S.) sat in front of Mr. P and I at Skate America in 2012 and then I bumped into them again in Boston during a men's practice session. They are super friendly and I really enjoyed talking to them.

I'm really sorry to hear she lost her husband unexpectedly. But so nice to hear Sean was willing to be there for her like that.

The Rabbitt family in general are extremely generous and great ambassadors for the sport. His father, who is active in the Glacier Falls Figure Skating Club, led efforts three years ago to help my local ice rink after someone stole hundreds of feet of copper wire. That theft basically threatened the rink's operation for that winter. The Glacier Falls club gave a very generous donation and Mr. Rabbit also went on FSU to get others to donate (and they did). Thanks to that support, the rink has been doing well (as well as a volunteer-run with a shoe string budget can) since then.

In other words, the success of the club competition can also impact and help others outside of the confines of the skating club. :)

Sometimes we get caught up in all the competition and uber fandom, debate, politics, blah blah blah it's nice to discuss the other -- more positive and uplifting -- aspects of our sport.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Nathan's FS was posted in his FanFest by Mikaboo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAW5olJMJno

Very solid performance from Nathan! And some great choreography, Nathan has a very similar style to Patrick Chan, IMO.

It's interesting with the quads and two 3As, he's front loaded his program a bit. His layout:

4T-3T
4T
3A-2T
--
3A
3Z-2L-2L
3F
3L
3S

Still a very difficult program, but he's done 2-6 layouts in the past. But with this layout he does run the risk of zayaking because he does 4 toe jumps in three jumping passes.

If he pops both the 4T-3T combo into doubles, then he'll have to try not to double the second 4T and do a 3A-3T in the third jumping pass. Also if he does 3Z-2L-2L, then pops the 3L into a double, then he'll zayak there.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Article from IN on the ladies event:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/08/03/140874772

Sayuri is a really awesome fan! She and her group of friends (some came from Japan, Sayuri is based in the U.S.) sat in front of Mr. P and I at Skate America in 2012 and then I bumped into them again in Boston during a men's practice session. They are super friendly and I really enjoyed talking to them.

I'm really sorry to hear she lost her husband unexpectedly. But so nice to hear Sean was willing to be there for her like that.

The Rabbitt family in general are extremely generous and great ambassadors for the sport. His father, who is active in the Glacier Falls Figure Skating Club, led efforts three years ago to help my local ice rink after someone stole hundreds of feet of copper wire. That theft basically threatened the rink's operation for that winter. The Glacier Falls club gave a very generous donation and Mr. Rabbit also went on FSU to get others to donate (and they did). Thanks to that support, the rink has been doing well (as well as a volunteer-run with a shoe string budget can) since then.

In other words, the success of the club competition can also impact and help others outside of the confines of the skating club. :)

Sometimes we get caught up in all the competition and uber fandom, debate, politics, blah blah blah it's nice to discuss the other -- more positive and uplifting -- aspects of our sport.

Thanks for the uplifting post, Mrs. P :).

The Rabbitt family sounds terrific :yay:.

The men's recap:
Masterful Chen wins quad fest at Glacier Falls
Hochstein places second; Brown not deterred by sixth-place finish

Posted 8/3/15 by Klaus-Reinhold Kany
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/08/03/140888342

And in case anyone missed it over the weekend, I enjoyed the IN gallery too:

Last edited:

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Very solid performance from Nathan! And some great choreography, Nathan has a very similar style to Patrick Chan, IMO.

It's interesting with the quads and two 3As, he's front loaded his program a bit. His layout:

4T-3T
4T
3A-2T
--
3A
3Z-2L-2L
3F
3L
3S

Still a very difficult program, but he's done 2-6 layouts in the past. But with this layout he does run the risk of zayaking because he does 4 toe jumps in three jumping passes.

If he pops both the 4T-3T combo into doubles, then he'll have to try not to double the second 4T and do a 3A-3T in the third jumping pass. Also if he does 3Z-2L-2L, then pops the 3L into a double, then he'll zayak there.
I don't think there's a very high chance he would pop *both* toes in the first 4t-3t combination into doubles. Even if he popped the first he'd probably go for 2t-3t or just abort the second jump (or go for a 1t).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just a stupid question ;) for this thread:

The GS thread for last year's Glacier Falls comp was seven pages in entirety.

I'm scratching my head over the 33 pages (and counting) of frantic posting this year.

Plenty of the better-known names from this year competed last year as well. Jason, Polina, Gracie were among those who did compete last year.
(Gracie skated only in the SP last year. Jason's results this year were unexpected, I realize.)

Some fancam videos were available last year (although TSL was not on site), as were results on social media from unofficial sources.

So what is/are the explanation(s) for the downright obsessiveness on GS this year? Not saying that it's a bad thing, but the intensity of interest was surprising to me.​

I'm buckling my seat belt now :yes: for the long season ahead.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
golden411

I wonder if part of it was last year felt like "beginning of the quad" so there was a perception of not that big a deal and that the season would be a bit of a slump. Now that last season proved good, and we have more people coming back/moving up than leaving and retiring - people are actually interested.

polenka84

Rinkside
Actually those 3A entrances are not THAT difficult overall. They look nice but they are not even as difficult as spread eagle

Try it into a single A or even a waltz jump and it becomes apparent just how difficult that change of edge entrance is! It's one of those things that looks simple but is really incredibly challenging...

Meoima

Match Penalty
Try it into a single A or even a waltz jump and it becomes apparent just how difficult that change of edge entrance is! It's one of those things that looks simple but is really incredibly challenging...
Jason's entry from the spiral was that after the spiral he glides on ice for 3 seconds before entering the 3A. If he enters the 3A right after spiral without much gliding then it would be much more challenging.

Last edited:

polenka84

Rinkside
Jason's entry from the spiral was that after the spiral he glides on ice for 3 seconds before entering the 3A. It is not as difficult as the spread eagle entry before 3A.

That was his first 3A entry...I guess it could be argued it isn't as difficult as a spread eagle entry...though one could also theoretically hold the edge after a spread eagle for 3 seconds too...both of those entries stay on the same edge so the jump is easier to control and check into though; the change of edge entry (Jason's second 3A entry--about 2 mins in) is much more difficult (though it might appear easier)...the change of edge really tests a skater's ability to check and and control the entry into the jump.