2015 NHK Mens Short Program | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2015 NHK Mens Short Program

QuadThrow

Medalist
I think the men have the most room.

The women it's hard to tell. Components for women's SP are almost always deflated. I'm sure 155 can be reached in the free at an Olympic final, where components are given away like they're for sale (look at top 5 in sochi for instance)

I taked about the SP... it is hard to maximum the points in the Free when there are 12/13 elements to do

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Thankyou. :cry: Oh Brendan, oh Brendan, I would rather you have gone clean here and then done this at Nationals next week...

I don't understand Russian, did they like him? What did they say?

Tarasova said he executed excellent 4-3 combo during warm-up, and it's a shame he didn't do that in his SP. She praised him for adding 2T to his lutz, because the lutz was not very good and it was difficult to add second jump to it and make it a combo. She liked his spins because he doesn't loose speed during spins. Overall she thinks he doesn't finish his movements, and exits from his elements are not always good too.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
ISU doing a moment of silence for victim of Paris attacks at open ceremony.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Tarasova said he executed excellent 4-3 combo during warm-up, and it's a shame he didn't do that in his SP. She praised him for adding 2T to his lutz, because the lutz was not very good and it was difficult to add second jump to it and make it a combo. She liked his spins because he doesn't loose speed during spins. Overall she thinks he doesn't finish his movements, and exits from his elements are not always good too.

It was important that Brendan didn't do a 3Z+3T as well, because his first jump was a 3T.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Yeah the most JIN can make up in PCS is probably 6 points? (1.25 per category) as he improves. Still not enough to catch up. Wonder if he may be forced to put 3 quads in instead... go for the 4A? is that even legal :rofl2:

Jin already scored quite high pcs, almost in the 8's (7.82 7.57 7.93 7.89 7.93) . Not that much room for improvement, maybe 0.5 for each component, that would give him 2.5 total in pcs + 1.5 in goe = 4 total (+95.64=99.64). I think in the future he can reach 100, but Hanyu is already scoring 106 with a mistake on the 4s :laugh:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Holy Smokes. That was monstrous.
And yet, i felt like 106 was the right score. Definitely not overscored.

Very sad for Brendan, but I hope that this will be a good experience for him. Being called in at the last minute can really throw a spanner in the works. He just seemed really really nervous in his SP.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Tbh I was not prepared for this today, it has been an insane short program. Great program after great program and BIG score after BIG SCORE!!!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Oh my Yuzu, just watched the video. I am speechless. Brilliant skate!!!!! :bow:

Off to watch the other men before the Ladies.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Thankyou. I'm glad they seemed to like him.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Was Menshov really so bad today? I saw his PC´s and they are a total of two behind Hanyu??!!??!?!?!?! What has happened, this can not be, seriously!

paperhearts

Final Flight
You could tell with that look he gave at the end of his FS. He was out for blood.

I'm actually really glad Jin skated the way he did, because that probably lit a fire under Hanyu to go for it as hard as he did. It's astonishing that his previous SP earned him 33 points less than here. What a comeback from Skate Canada!

As a Twitter poster eloquently stated, how could he have an angelic face with the eyes of a killer? I agree-- he thrives on being in competition. That's what I was thinking too, how'd we go from 73 to 106? Really amazing, I honestly didn't think he'd skate clean at all.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I wrote before the event. Hanyu is unpredictable. One day he can skate disaster program to one the next one smash records :laugh2:

qwertyskates

Medalist
Mura's skate was fantastic too, flawless jumps, great expression, choreography and transitions and was only short of one quad if a "complaint" is to be made. So I'm trying to wrap my head around an almost 20 point gap to bridge between 3rd and 1st. Such huge scores means veterans like Mura, Denis, will be left way behind even with their better PCS and good technical layout. Jin won't get there of course until a couple of years later, I concur, he has a lot to catch up still in experience, exposure and PCS.

Don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful skate, the spins are to die for, and underscored, I would place overall closer to Hanyu's personal best SP score but above, so it's more down to earth and there's room to hit over 105 at GPF.

Of the 3 top skates, i enjoyed Mura's the most, even though it's technically slightly behind.

Last edited:

apple123

On the Ice
Does anyone think Hanyu's new sp didn't sell the Chopin piece? Technically he's brilliant, but I just don't feel the connection between his program and the music. All I remember is his jumps. It's really a shame.

karlowens2

On the Ice
Not a fan of Hanyu and haven't watched him for a while. What a day to see him! He seems more connected to the music than I remember. It was enjoyable to watch.

Looking at this you wonder if the only people who will be a able to do these things are very small, thin guys with light bone structure. One of the beauties of Men's figure skating is the denser, larger frame able to create such speed, spin and grace. Yagudin comes to mind.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Does anyone think Hanyu's new sp didn't sell the Chopin piece? Technically he's brilliant, but I just don't feel the connection between his program and the music. All I remember is his jumps. It's really a shame.

Nope. For me that was ultimate connection between artistry and athleticism.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thing is Hanyu can still upgrade for his short program if he really need to, harder combos may be possible than 4t3t?

Some references

Jin's 4lz3t = 19.33
Hanyu 4t3t = 17.17
Chan 4t3t = 16.89 (FS SC)

And Fernandez 4s3t 17.37 (CoR FS)

Last edited:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Not a fan of Hanyu and haven't watched him for a while. What a day to see him! He seems more connected to the music than I remember. It was enjoyable to watch.

Looking at this you wonder if the only people who will be a able to do these things are very small, thin guys with light bone structure. One of the beauties of Men's figure skating is the denser, larger frame able to create such speed, spin and grace. Yagudin comes to mind.

He is no Yagudin, but Javier Fernandez is not than thin and frail looking IMO and he makes the quads look as easy as Hanyu does.