2016-17 GPF Ladies SP | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Ladies SP

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Can't wait for the videos to be uploaded to see how Kaetlyn and Satoko slayed :)))
I only got to watch Zhenya. Beautiful skate. She skates smoother today. I'm not even surprised about the score. We all knew what was coming.

As for the new SP WR, I will forever believe Send in the Clowns should have been the record holder. That program was just so beautiful.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Records are meant to be broken.

Even Yuna's scores at 2010 OG were insanely high, but inflating scores is usual at GPF, Worlds or the Olympics. (Yuna herself broke her records many times)

Personally i'm still thinking that Liza Tuktamysheva should have the WR for the SP: that program was clearly made to broke the record and judges gave her lower GOEs than what she got at the Europeans...

Records are meant to be broken but it has to be broken fairly. Mao's program is more sophisticated and mature and poised. Mao's skating skills is better. Her program has a more delicate choreography and it is filled everywhere in the program, and she flows immaculately with the music. I don't see how Evgenia's program is better than Mao's in the aforementioned aspects.

Also, I agree that Evgenia is consistent, she performed her programs perfectly everytime. But why her score is getting higher and higher? If the perfect score for this program is, let's say 75, it should stay 75, plus or minus 2 for different panels. That is what FAIR judging should be.

sowcow

On the Ice
Because these organizers messed up big time. Lots of people gave up when they found out that the seats were not numbered, and lots of persistent ones gave up when they had problems with actual buying tickets and/or getting information.

Thank goodness the Japanese are persistent ... or there'd be NOBODY in the audience! I keep thinking the competition is in Japan!

Thank you Japanese fans! :clapper: [...although, the organizers in Marseilles should really be the one's thanking you!]

liv

Record Breaker
Effortless axel? Medvedeva? It is a scary axel. Apart from Tuk, I cannot think of a great axel from the Russian girls. Odd, considering the men usually have great ones. The girls get the job done, but they are not effortless.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
wow, there isnt a single level 3 element in the score sheet :eeking:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Gaping mouth, muscled jumps, excessive tanos (shouldn't there be a Zayak rule on that?), cringeworthy programs that supposedly tell a story and we have no idea wth the story is. :noshake:

99% of programs to me don't tell a story that I can fully pick up on just by watching, unless I know some kind of backstory or have the desire to investigate it further.... well, unless a skater does something like wear a pirate costume and perform to Pirates of the Caribbean. Otherwise, it's pretty cryptic to me. You probably don't care what the story is so that's why you don't know.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I am always like that during sports, you are glad you haven't met me in real life :laugh:

You made me giggle with that STATEMENT WRITTEN IN CAPITAL LETTERS :laugh: I am more calm I guess. I very rarely scream watching sport, it must be some big moment for me. I am not so super offended bar that Evgenia's record even if I think that it's inflated score and I am not specifically a fan of Medvedeva either.

Last edited:

lady_bee

Medalist
Because these organizers messed up big time. Lots of people gave up when they found out that the seats were not numbered, and lots of persistent ones gave up when they had problems with actual buying tickets and/or getting information.

It makes me wonder how French federation could afford the costs of this event.
What a bad management:scowl:

Warwick360

Medalist
Evgenia makes mistakes too, though. She fell at TEB and it wasn't the first time.

I'm aware. But compare it to everyone else. I am not her biggest fan, and I definitely think overdoing those Tanos is just not a sight to behold, but I have to give credit where it is due. Yes, she made a mistake at TEB. However, (discounting her flutz) considering the number of times she's skated in the large stages, the very fact that she is still retaining her momentum is just something that is coming across as somewhat otherworldly.

PS: I am still hoping for the Tano limit to drop in sometime in the future though. :devil:

badknees

Medalist
I knew she'd get the WR rather sooner than later but I DONT GET IT! How was that better than at SC? or TdF??? And why is her PCS always better than that of the others even when they skate clean as well (f.e. Katelyn)???

She's great, but what's always better about her than everyone else? Consistency shouldnt matter in the moment. I will never understand... :(

I dont get it either. Will need to look at protocols but why oh why does PCS seem to follow tech? I'd like to see a skater get super high tech but super low PCS and visa versa. Just to prove that COP works the way it was intended.

And the judges seem to be sending a message to the skaters that only slow, balletic, wide eyed, breathless artistry will always win over a skater painting and telling a great story, (that you can understand).

I dont get what Med is trying to say. I guess it's just too complicated and not obvious to me!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Records are meant to be broken but it has to be broken fairly. Mao's program is more sophisticated and mature and poised. Mao's skating skills is better. Her program has a more delicate choreography and it is filled everywhere in the program, and she flows immaculately with the music. I don't see how Evgenia's program is better than Mao's in the aforementioned aspects.

Also, I agree that Evgenia is consistent, she performed her programs perfectly everytime. But why her score is getting higher and higher? If the perfect score for this program is, let's say 75, it should stay 75, plus or minus 2 for different panels. That is what FAIR judging should be.

Come Euros it's hitting 80. Come Worlds it's 82. Mark my words.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Gaping mouth, muscled jumps, excessive tanos (shouldn't there be a Zayak rule on that?), cringeworthy programs that supposedly tell a story and we have no idea wth the story is. :noshake:

A gaping mouth ah? Gee, didn't take long for the insults to fly. Just because of that, I am so, so very happy she is sweeping the floor with your faves. I hope she continues to for a long time to come so you have to stare at it and cry.

begin

Medalist
Effortless axel? Medvedeva? It is a scary axel. Apart from Tuk, I cannot think of a great axel from the Russian girls. Odd, considering the men usually have great ones. The girls get the job done, but they are not effortless.

Anna P's axel is good too

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
It makes me wonder how French federation could afford the costs of this event.
What a bad management:scowl:

They pinch their pennies. Instead of getting real medals for about $5, they settled for handcrafted paper medals which cost maybe .20 cents :hb:

Warwick360

Medalist

Normally people throw shade in these threads, that is something I'm aware of. But I think you just threw the whole frickin' tree here. :laugh2:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
And the judges seem to be sending a message to the skaters that only slow, balletic, wide eyed, breathless artistry will always win over a skater painting and telling a great story, (that you can understand).

Well, it's a sport. She's winning because she's beating everyone on TES.