2016-17 GPF Mens SP | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2016-17 GPF Mens SP

Fayruza

Match Penalty
another one who does selective reading... i mentioned twice so far the IN BETWEENS...

never mind ;) i leave you both to lalaland.

all i did is mention that an analysis from a few weeks ago isn't as relevant anymore when skaters keep changing their material.... that's ALL i said... but then, BANG... a cohort of wolves attacked me for what reason???

that's why I have no more interest for discussion when my words are twisted or excluded from selective quotes and of course, when it comes into another topic altogether.

As I said, I enjoyed both top skaters performance yesterday. I wish all 6 great skates tomorrow!

I'm sorry, who's twisting the reality here? The analysis was made A WEEK AGO! On Wednesday night! Hell!

Here's the original - it was first put out on November 30th, which is last Wednesday. And yes, Yulia worked with what she had - but if anyone dares to challenge her, you're welcome to come up with details. Not with just 'Patrick said in his interview that he added some in betweens'. If you claim something, be ready to prove it.

http://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/dobroefk/1118831.html

Last edited:

eta

Medalist
A comment was made that Chan shouldn't score higher on TR than Hanyu due to this.

At which point you said that analysis is outdated "since COC he has changed spins, steps and some in betweens. he's mentioned it in interviews : you can clearly see the results already in him getting a level 4 in his stepseq. The changes should be even more apparent in the LP."

So I asked you to elaborate on those in betweens, which you ignored. And I questioned you mentioning unrelated elements when discussing TR score in SP, which you also ignored.
So, changed = better? More transitions? Less crossovers and two-foot skating? Care to elaborate?

And you accuse me of selective reading?
another one who does selective reading... i mentioned twice so far the IN BETWEENS...

Then you accuse me of twisting/excluding your words, when in fact I addressed all the bolded elements you mentioned, and you in turn ignore my post?
that's why I have no more interest for discussion when my words are twisted or excluded from selective quotes and of course, when it comes into another topic altogether.

Eislauf

On the Ice
One thing I admire about Adam's SP this season is that he took a risk with it. He's a vogueing, posing, dancing sexy club boy! I'm not crazy about the fake tan but so what - he came up with a fresh idea for a program and sells the heck out of it.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Steely Foundation may the secret.

It may sound shallow (and let's not pretend I am anything less than a VERY SHALLOW person!), but I noticed his strengthening bubble butt for the first time EVER today :eek:: Oh boy that lavender trouser was an eye opener. Superman like butt of steel attached to mighty powerful Olympian thighs and magic bee's knees. Visible hardwork of a strengthened core and added fire power. He definitely seems more bulkier than a few years ago, which made quite a difference from the lanky Romeo merely a few seasons ago. Stamina seems improving too.

He deserved higher PCS than over Patrick today. Patrick looks like he is studiously competing in a competition, while Hanyu looks like he is living in his Yuzuwood Blockbuster Movie.

Those tight pants.. I noticed too (blush), and I'm old enough to be his mother! :laugh:

da96103

Record Breaker
I would say it's harder transitions than even Hanyu. A walley leading into a quad is super risky because it can kill all your speed. I was actually surprised to see him do a quad out of it, because normally you need tons of speed and want to avoid risky transitions going into a quad.

Adam's strategy has served him well - play it safer in the SP to set up for better FS placement, and hope the other guys trying all these quads aren't able to hit (especially ones who he has an artistic edge over). It's actually been pretty successful - until he faces skaters like Fernandez/Hanyu who actually hit their quads, and have a greater PCS advantage.

I think this strategy does nothing. If he is waiting for skaters to fall in order to be on top, then he needs to have at least Patrick Chan's layout with one quad toe.

As illustrated in this SP, perfect Chan with one quad toe, can overcome two-quad Javier with mistakes.

A junior SP layout when you already have landed a 4T in competition is just being not competitive.

Eislauf

On the Ice
I wish Chan would try something new. Sick to death of his balletic programs, all of which kind of look the same, with similar costuming, even. Black pants plus a dark top or LL Bean-type thermal top.

He's a gifted skater. I'd love to see him get something cool and edgy from Rohene Ward. Get away from Marina and the Ice Dance balletic aesthetic. Nothing wrong with it. We've just seen it ad nauseum with Patrick.

Last edited:

qwertyskates

Medalist
Except for Rippon, Patrick also had the easiest program of all the men---he went for just ONE quad, a 4t, and he landed that one on a lean. Hanyu way outperformed Chan, and you think Chan was best because he was clean, and Hanyu had to save a QUAD LOOP? No mention that Hanyu went on to land a beautiful 4S+3T and a HUGE 3A that covered three times the ice that Chan's does.

Seriously? Shoma's not much more difficult than Patrick's, especially with dozens of crossovers. And you forgot Hanyu had TWO iffy landings on his jumps, not ONE. This is one of the worst GPF in terms of clean programs.

Hanyu did shine by appealing directly to the crowd, and I prefer his choreography in terms of transitions. However, I don't like this SP, I didn't like Parisian Walkways, I find this interpretation of "rock" (with snapping fingers..:palmf:) dated....not even retro fun like Jason's or Mai's Prince, I wish he'd pick more contemporary rock/electro/grunge/synth/punk (not disco) choreography, I prefer his Chopin and Seimei, so shoot me? Patrick's SP isn't my favourite either, especially with those twee "boyish" moves which I intensely dislike, but he did skate the cleanest, smoothest, of all the men that night, and I always enjoy his SS.

To me, that was the best skate, the cleanest, but I understand he didn't win due to lower TES.

Here's how Boyang skated at SA (I was there)
Because of his poor SP, he was 5th overall (7 points)

At CoC:
He finished 2nd to Chan (13 points; 13+7=20)

Rippon had two bronze medals for 22 points, so it wasn't by one point.....

Were you not aware that Jin was beaten by <1 at SA and 1+ at COC? I'm not even talking about GP placement points, but worse, PCS or GOE pts! By 1 point he would have moved ahead by 1 place, either to 4th at SA or 1st at COC. He would have edged out Rippon then. Someone on another post wondered if there's a skater who would receive high TES and super low punitive PCS, and I would have replied, yes, its Jin.

If Nathan scores higher than a clean Boyang it is because Nathan does have presentation skills---he didn't have all those quads when he won the JGPF last year.

Nathan has better PE? With his ballet training, he shouldn't be holding these awkward posture and his carriage is the worse I've seen on ice. Jason is much better in terms of dance. Nathan is no John Curry. He is watchable, like a Kovtun, but with all the badly performed quads, he is losing his main leverage. Jin is far more engaging this season, not the best, but he made up for it with amazing jumps, speed, better choreography and a lot of fun interaction with the audience.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I enjoyed the performance of Fernandez very much although it had unfortunate, but not unexpected faults. He definetely should have had less distractions before this competition and arrived to Europe earlier. I had a real bad feeling about him participating in the NYC Christmas show, and now this happens... I wonder if he can bounce back in the freeskate, and it will be no surprise if he can´t. Of course I hope that he will...

Chan and Hanyu were wonderful!!!

My issue with Javier's PCS wasn't just the fall/near fall but it was that his program was getting sooo sloppy towards the end. Like you could see that he wasn't executing his turns properly. That and elements like his spins weren't particularly sharp with travelling and it all looked unravelled.

Hopefully he can rebound. He's had some good SPs this year so he's bound to have a really off one - but should be scored accordingly.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I wish Chan would try something new. Sick to death of his balletic programs, all of which kind of look the same, with similar costuming, even. Black pants plus a dark top or LL Bean-type thermal top.

He's a gifted skater. I'd love to see him get something cool and edgy from Rohene Ward. Get away from Marina and the Ice Dance balletic aesthetic. Nothing wrong with it. We've just seen it ad nauseum with Patrick.

YOU KNOW WHAT? PLEASE PEOPLE DON'T HATE ME, BUT i'D LOVE TO SEE HIM REALLY BREAK OUT OF HIS SHELL AND DO PRINCE, LOL!!!!! CAN YALL IMAGINE IT??? i CAN. I'M SURE ROHENE WARD CAN PULL IT OFF FOR HIM, LOL!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU_dj3jzYk8 "THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GIRL IN THE WORLD"....A VERSION OF IT.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
reading your post, i wonder how long you have followed figure skating... even last year his SP had nothing to do with ballet... this year's? the beatles??? very casual tshirt with suspenders??? so many gala programs that are very contemporary... also, the jazz programs like take five... and the very elaborate costumes from the pre sochi era when a designer was working on his outfit, researching them, crafting them...etc...

Patrick has shown a lot of different styles and different types of outfits as well. Of course, every skater has preferences, we all do.. but saying that you are sick to death of his balletic programs after watching the beatles is a bit weird for me to read... especially when knowing he's done tango, opera, even a poto... solo piano, a contemporary piece by Eric Radford, aranjuez, baroque, jazz, crossover german cabaret-jazz (MTK) etc etc

tureis

On the Ice
My issue with Javier's PCS wasn't just the fall/near fall but it was that his program was getting sooo sloppy towards the end. Like you could see that he wasn't executing his turns properly. That and elements like his spins weren't particularly sharp with travelling and it all looked unravelled.

Hopefully he can rebound. He's had some good SPs this year so he's bound to have a really off one - but should be scored accordingly.

I love Javi to death but yeah, he was lucky to get those scores for this SP performance. And it's such a shame too, because I still think this is the best SP around in the men's field, if only he could put in a cleanish skate for once. But he's not getting there. He's been delivering decent performances even with an occasional major mistake, but here it seems the second mistake was just too much and he lost it completely for the StSq, the element which would normally really sell this flamenco.

Also, the program actually looks undertrained, like they were taking it for granted that being a 2nd season SP, it needs less work. I really hope Javi and the team put it together by Euros, because it sooooo deserves a couple of glorious performances!

Art&Sport

Medalist
I just saw Javi's program. I was thinking he had it in the bag the way he started out, but two serious errors, and the judges didn't bat an eye. Just because his score would usually be closer to 100 if skated clean, DOES NOT mean he deserves a score as high as 91+ for two sloppy major mistakes on his money jumps. NO WAY.

I'll check out the entire field before commenting further.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Javi should have got no more than 88 and Shoma no more than 83 . 45 and 43 PCS for those SPs are shameless, Sad for poor Shoma I hope the boy is fine now and delivers today. Nathan was underscored( more shoma was overscored) he should be ahead of Shoma. I thought Adam was undermarked as well but carrot explains the score.