2016 Finlandia Trophy Mens FS | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2016 Finlandia Trophy Mens FS

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Actually no, the quads will just turn into triples, the doubles remain the same.

4Lz+2T, 4Lz, 4F+2T, 3F, 3S, 3T, 3A+1/2Lo+2F, 3Lo

sure but what about a skater with the 4T only...

4T +2t, 4T, 3A, 3A+1/2+3S, 3Lz, 3F, 3L, and then... 2A+2t lame :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick's was a placeholder. Fine. Nathan & Daniel were literally in practice clothes. Maybe that's fine for a small non-ISU or club competition, but Finlandia is a well established international senior B. Aesthetics do matter, and if I were a judge I would not be too happy about it. As a fan, I don't think it looks good either and I believe it also affects the mentality of the skater, if only subconsciously. It's like going to a job interview in sweatpants. Nathan wasn't selling that FS at all and it takes away from great pieces of music like Le Corsaire and Polovtsian Dances when you wear casual sportswear. Men should have no excuses - some of them favor costumes that look like they came from the Kohls clearance rack anyway, but even that is better than nothing.

when I replied to you, I hadn't watched Daniel. I was commenting only on Patrick and Nathan.

However, now that I have seen Daniel : FYI he had a very elaborate costume at Autumn Classic International last week... saw it live, it was very ugly, made it to my list of awful costuming ;) so either he read my post LOL and decided to change his costume or he did indeed get that advice from other people ;) that would explain why a week later, he didn't have yet a new costume.

So, I go back to what I was saying earlier... let's be patient with the athletes. We don't know what happens in their lives to be judging them if they don't have a costume. Perhaps his costume is damaged, perhaps lost in transit... perhaps he was distracted by it or uncomfortable wearing it... there are a lot of potential explanations before the : he doesn't have respect for an established competition and the fans.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I understand how you guys are feeling. Yuzuru also received much criticisms at AC, and one of the criticisms is as below. Imagine if this is said to their skaters or the skaters at this event :disapp:

Yeah I that was meant to be a funny comment which ended up not being funny. Hanyu still landed some tough elements included an unprecedented quad loop. People who expect skaters to be perfect at this point and then ridicule them for not being in peak form are just incredibly thick-headed.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I don't think the ISU is going to make any big decisions regarding quads until after 2018, when they get rid of one jump in the FS and trim the program lengths. But getting rid of that one jump will put more pressure for guys to land the quads with high points. I think we are going to see quite a few novice and junior kids acquiring 4Lo, 4F, and 4Lz. Maybe even the quad Axel will be landed in this quad intensification.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Refresh your memory with the protocols. The SP was another story. You can't botch a SP, especially with todays standards, and win when you're already substantially behind in the FS.

What are you talking about? It's happened many times in the past two years.... 2014 Worlds (Hanyu)? 2014 TEB (Kovtun)? 2015 Four Continents (Chan)? 2016 Worlds (Fernandez)?

Even if Chan had landed his 3A in the SP (ie had all 3 axels clean) he would have still lost. And it's not like Chen's poor axel attempts prevented him from winning. Maybe you should refresh your memory with the protocols. :rolleye:

Last edited:

mcq

Record Breaker
Why... would people want skaters to be perfect at senior B competitions. :scratch2:
Not everyone is Medvedeva or Miyahara and can be perfect almost everytime, especially the men who have demanding technical content like quads and triple axels. I would actually be scared if skaters skated clean so early cause I would want them to peak later like at Nationals, 4CC/Euro/Olympics or Worlds.
Isn't that what CS competition is also for? To try out your new program with possible new layout in a competitive environment and make adjustment if things are not really going as planned. This backlash on Nathan, Chan, Hanyu etc for bombing their programs early in the season is baffling to me. Especially since we know skaters tend to perform sub-par early season all the time. :scratch2:

LadyB

Record Breaker
Also the assignments made by the federation were wrong imo: Voronov or Kovtun should go to the Rostelecom Cup

Yes, I definitely believe that one of them should be at Rostelecom. Mikhail had great moments last year, but he needs to get into that zone again.

Last edited:

LadyB

Record Breaker
As i wrote in the State of the russian men's skating, none of these skaters has the potential to beat the big names (except maybe Kovtun, on paper), honestly i had higher expectations on Petrov but from what i've seen this is still not enough
You're right, Tolstoj. None of the Russian lads are likely to beat Yuzu and Javi, but if they learn from mistakes they can get on the podium. Even last year, Max Kovtun came third in the Europeans, Sergei is poised to prove his worth, and Petrov is only young. I think he can still be forgiven for flaws in his performance that early in the season. Could be an interesting season.:cool14:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
What are you talking about? It's happened many times in the past two years.... 2014 Worlds (Hanyu)? 2014 Cup of China (Kovtun)? 2015 Four Continents (Chan)? 2016 Worlds (Fernandez)?

Even if Chan had landed his 3A in the SP (ie had all 3 axels clean) he would have still lost. And it's not like Chen's poor axel attempts prevented him from winning. Maybe you should refresh your memory with the protocols. :rolleye:

Don't go there, alright, it would be a bad move. Putting in your two cents when I didn't ask for a penny, did it (as per usual with you Lol).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
sorry but you certainly didn't get a penny from VB, myself nor CSG :p pennies have been phased out in Canada...
Don't go there, alright, it would be a bad move. Putting in your two cents when I didn't ask for a penny, did it (as per usual with you Lol).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Well, you didn't ask for a World title from Duhamel & Radford, and they put in two of those. :biggrin:

I'm free to express my opinion on here - just like you're equally free to be consistently incapable of refuting it. :p I put in my two cents and still have enough left over to give you your change. #WentThere

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Well, you didn't ask for a World title from Duhamel & Radford, and they put in two of those. :biggrin:

I'm free to express my opinion on here - just like you're equally free to be consistently incapable of refuting it. :p I put in my two cents and still have enough left over to give you your change. #WentThere

...you really don't went to go there. They do on paper, sure. Who will remember them? Only their whimpering fans. Lol

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Duhamel and Radford will be forever in the record books for being 2 times back to back world champions in pairs (how many non-Russian pairs have done that?) and for being the first to do SBS 3 Lutz. They will also be remembered as THE TEAM who pushed the technical boundaries of the sport, leading a cohort of teams away from the traditional simpler elements that had been in place since the 1980s like the SBS 2A, the throw 3S and 3L. Some teams, have followed path trying to gain more points by doing the quad twist, which had been done by GnG but was pretty much extinct since then... in the end, Duhamel and Radford, will have a long lasting legacy for being the pair that has taken the sport out of the statu quo it was in for 25 years. They will also be remembered for their unorthodox style, showing that a strong and athletic woman and a lyrical man can be paired together. They will also forever remain true role models for vegans and LGTBQ athletes.

signed, a

Last edited by a moderator:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Duhamel and Radford will be forever in the record books for being 2 times back to back world champions in pairs (how many non-Russian pairs have done that?) and for being the first to do SBS 3 Lutz. They will also be remembered as THE TEAM who pushed the technical boundaries of the sport, leading a cohort of teams away from the traditional simpler elements that had been in place since the 1980s like the SBS 2A, the throw 3S and 3L. Some teams, have followed path trying to gain more points by doing the quad twist, which had been done by GnG but was pretty much extinct since then... in the end, Duhamel and Radford, will have a long lasting legacy for being the pair that has taken the sport out of the statu quo it was in for 25 years. They will also be remembered for their unorthodox style, showing that a strong and athletic woman and a lyrical man can be paired together. They will also forever remain true role models for vegans and LGTBQ athletes.

signed, a

:clap: Why worry about giving one's two cents when you can give a million-dollar response!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
...you really don't went to go there. They do on paper, sure. Who will remember them? Only their whimpering fans. Lol

Lmao... the only ones whimpering were haters like you praying for them to fail and then having to watch them win another World title. :laugh: #UMadBro #RememberThat?

Last edited:
Duhamel and Radford will be forever in the record books for being 2 times back to back world champions in pairs (how many non-Russian pairs have done that?) and for being the first to do SBS 3 Lutz. They will also be remembered as THE TEAM who pushed the technical boundaries of the sport, leading a cohort of teams away from the traditional simpler elements that had been in place since the 1980s like the SBS 2A, the throw 3S and 3L. Some teams, have followed path trying to gain more points by doing the quad twist, which had been done by GnG but was pretty much extinct since then... in the end, Duhamel and Radford, will have a long lasting legacy for being the pair that has taken the sport out of the statu quo it was in for 25 years.

ITA but I believe Obertas Slavnov had some quad twist attemps under Moskvina too. Didn't check the programs, just out of my memory.
DR have many haters but they contributed greatly to move things set in stone before them. Like it or not don't know how it can be denied.
Their style is unorthodox but when they are on and kill all the elements, they own it and rocks. It doesn't allow them many mistakes though because it can more easilly fell flat.
I guess live they are mesmerizing in their own way (didn't see them live since 2013 TEB), kudos to them finding their path to greatness. Though it's possible it translate less on videos.

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

signed, a

Hell yes! And I thought that BlueJays Jose Batista, Edwin Encarnacion and John Donaldson could hit home runs. You smoked it 4everchan!!!

Bring on the rain!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I have a question :

Does anyone know what's going on with Daniel? I was so surprised by his poor showing at ACI and then, it was even worse in Finlandia.... any news? Is he injured ? Maybe it's just jitters of the new season or being pressured to do well in seniors after getting so much success before...

Anybody has a clue?

mcq

Record Breaker
I have a question :

Does anyone know what's going on with Daniel? I was so surprised by his poor showing at ACI and then, it was even worse in Finlandia.... any news? Is he injured ? Maybe it's just jitters of the new season or being pressured to do well in seniors after getting so much success before...

Anybody has a clue?

I am not sure about injury. But Samohin was never a consistent skater to begin with. His skate is either great or a disaster, sometimes there is no in between. I remember he fell 4 times on his FS at 2015 junior grand prix too. Considering ACI and Finlandia is back-to-back event I was not surprised that he would not do better at Finlandia compared to ACI. The jet-lag, and his body is exhausted. He didn't have time to adjust for what went wrong at ACI too and I suspect not doing well on previous event just 1 week before would have affected your mental state as well.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thanks! i didn't follow him much in juniors so all i know is the good stuff ;)
I am not sure about injury. But Samohin was never a consistent skater to begin with. His skate is either great or a disaster, sometimes there is no in between. I remember he fell 4 times on his FS at 2015 junior grand prix too. Considering ACI and Finlandia is back-to-back event I was not surprised that he would not do better at Finlandia compared to ACI. The jet-lag, and his body is exhausted. He didn't have time to adjust for what went wrong at ACI too and I suspect not doing well on previous event just 1 week before would have affected your mental state as well.