2016 JGP St Gervais Ladies SP | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2016 JGP St Gervais Ladies SP

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Alina Zagitova is one of the pupils of Eteri Tutberidze, the famous former coach of Julia Lipnitskaia. Tutberidze currently coaches Evgenia Medvedeva, who recently posted a group photo with Zagitova. Alina Zagitova took first place with 68.07 points, followed by Kaori Sakamoto (64.12 points) and Rin Nitaya (60.94 points) from Japan.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I just noticed that Ye Lim Kim's slender build didn't translate into elegant posture: her neck/shoulders look very stiff, and she waves her forearms like baton. It might have something to do with the outfit she has, with an extra layer of turtle neck and sleeves. Does she have Rika type of short neck? Hope she can work more on her postures.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Some factoids from the spreadsheet and analyzing protocols of the top 6:

1. Everyone's PCS had a spread of at least 1.75 points across judges and components. (Paganini's was 1.75, Nitaya, Sakamoto, and Peltonen's were 2, Zagitova's was 2.25, and Kim's was 2.5.)

2. Also, there was a lot of PCS deviation from the mean, due to that. (Judge 5 scored Zagitova 5.58 points lower than the the mean, Judge 8 scored Kim 4.05 points below the mean, Judge 9 scored Paganini 4.59 points above the mean, Judge 2 scored Sakamoto 3.14 points below the mean, Judge 6 scored Nitaya 3.22 points below the mean while Judge 8 scored her 3.72 points below the mean, and Judge 4 tended to score everyone higher than their compatriots. (Most egregious examples: 5.17 above the mean for Kim, 4.37 points above the mean for Peltonen, and 3.11 points above the mean for Sakamoto. Oddly enough, they also scored Paganini 0.66 lower than the mean.))

3. Average GOE deviation by skater: Zagitova’s was 1.67 points, Sakamoto’s was 1.89 points, Nitaya’s was 0.92 points, Kim’s was 2.07 points, Peltonen’s was 1.23 points, and Paganini’s was 1.46 points.

4. Average PCS deviation by skater: Zagitova’s was -0.30 points, Sakamoto’s was -0.01 points, Nitaya’s was -0.11 points, Kim’s was 0.33 points, Peltonen’s was 0.18 points, and Paganini’s was 0.27 points.

5. Average GOE deviation by judge: Judge 1 is 1.40 points, Judge 2 is 1.70 points, Judge 3 is 1.58 points, Judge 4 is 1.56 points, Judge 5 is 1.58 points, Judge 6 is 1.54, Judge 7 is 1.68 points, Judge 8 is 1.48 points, and Judge 9 is 1.32 points.

6. Average PCS deviation by judge: Judge 1 is 0.01 points, Judge 2 is 0.13 points, Judge 3 is 0.37 points, Judge 4 is 2.37 points, Judge 5 is -0.42 points, Judge 6 is -1.93 points, Judge 7 is 0.56 points, Judge 8 is -2.67 points, and Judge 9 is 2.16 points.

7. As for the judges with skaters from their country in this sample, they were Judge 1 (Japan), Judge 2 (Russia), and Judge 5 (Finland).

8. Judge #2 deviated 2.15 points from the mean when scoring Zagitova in GOE and 2.67 above the mean in PCS. However, most of the GOE deviation comes from giving Zagitova slightly lower spin GOEs than the mean. She did score her slightly higher on the 2a.

9. Judge #1 deviated 1.63 points from the mean in GOE when scoring Sakamoto and 0.87 points from the mean when scoring Nitaya. Most of their scores for Sakamoto were below the mean, though. (except for her 2a, oddly enough. They also had Sakamoto’s PCS 1.64 below the mean.) As for Nitaya, they gave her higher GOE on her 3lz+3t and 2a, but lower on the 3lo. (Nitaya's PCS was 0.28 points above the mean.)

10. Judge #5 deviated 0.91 from the mean when scoring Peltonen in GOE and 1.87 points above the mean when scoring her in PCS. Most of her GOE deviation was from being scored slightly higher on all elements except for the 2a and the CCoSp.

And that is that.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
This is terrible. I couldn't read any of the articles, but I feel it might be the bus driver taking suicide/drunk type of accident. No reasonable person will drive into an electrical pole at full speed.
As I am reading this article, three of the injuries are considered serious, including a girl with a head and leg injury.

This article reports that the bus rammed into an electrical pole at full speed. The photo shows that the pole was leveled. From reading this, at least one of these skaters is seriously hurt. Healing thoughts to all!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is terrible. I couldn't read any of the articles, but I feel it might be the bus driver taking suicide/drunk type of accident. No reasonable person will drive into an electrical pole at full speed.

Perhaps, but it may be more carelessness. They were on a very windy mountain road (also from the article) in the Alps. One wrong move, and you could spin out. (And now that I re-read it, although they said at full speed and "rammed" was the word they used, maybe that is not "head-on"?: somehow, the reporting says, the driver did not sustain serious injuries???)

Either way, not good!:(

Last edited:

bosskil

Match Penalty
Zagitova was way above the rest of the field for me in SP. She connected to the music, she was fast with good edges, her jumps are elegant. A new star is born...but. But she is too Eteri. I know my comparison is far-fetched but I don't have a better one: the end of Terminator 2. When T 1000 melts he shows everyone. In Zagitova's skating I saw Lipnitskaya, Sakhanovich, Medvedeva, and Tsurskaya - all of them. Her only own trick at this point is Rippon jumps instead of tanos. May be that's why I remained somewhat cold. Still not as cold as to Polina whom I admire for her jumps and power but whom I could not accept as a whole package because I could not emotionally connect to her skating. I still remember Sima's Sweet and tender beast in Slovenia - that was fabulous skating!
#spoiledRusfansprobs ;)

Please do mind, this is the revolution - in three years of time we've had hot dancer Sotnikova, Bollywood fireball Tuktamysheva, lyrical heart-piercing Lipnitskaya, blond femme fatale Pogorilaya, airy elegant Medvedeva, flirty lil' thing Proklova, sassy athletic Sakhanovich, Black magic woman Sotskova, Goth chessmaster Tsurskaya, cutest little kitty Fedichkina and more.
It's quite hard for the new kids to be super original in these circumstances, especially from the first start of the season.

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Didn't know St. Gervais is in the Apls. It looks such a picturesque place...

Perhaps, but it may be more carelessness. They were on a very windy mountain road (also from the article) in the Alps. One wrong move, and you could spin out. (And now that I re-read it, although they said at full speed and "rammed" was the word they used, maybe that is not "head-on"?: somehow, the reporting says, the driver did not sustain serious injuries???)

Either way, not good!:(

Layback11

Record Breaker
#spoiledRusfansprobs ;)

Please do mind, this is the revolution - in three years of time we've had hot dancer Sotnikova, Bollywood fireball Tuktamysheva, lyrical heart-piercing Lipnitskaya, blond femme fatale Pogorilaya, airy elegant Medvedeva, flirty lil' thing Proklova, sassy athletic Sakhanovich, Black magic woman Sotskova, Goth chessmaster Tsurskaya, cutest little kitty Fedichkina and more.
It's quite hard for those kids to be super original in these circumstances, especially from the first start of the season.

You forgot dramatic sloppy charismatic Elena! :biggrin:

randomfan

Record Breaker
Lots of new talent here!

1. Alina Zagitova: She has good spins, great jumps (and rippons!!!), and solid footwork. But 40.80 TES...what were the judges thinking :palmf:...this is higher than any senior international TES from last season, and this was set by a debuting junior. Alina is really talented, but honestly most of her GOEs were way too high. She also skates a bit cold as well so 27 PCS isn't really reasonable either...:slink:

2. Kaori Sakamoto: Kaori seems to have improved a lot and I enjoyed her! Beautiful 3Lo and nice performance throughout.

3. Rin Nitaya: She needs a bit more power into her skating, but overall her performance was good. Also, :yay: for choreo from Akiko!

4. Ye Lim Kim: To be honest, I had huge expectations for her after the national JPG qualification competition and the Asian Open, so this was kinda disappointing to me. She skates colder than Alina, which is now much more evident with the better camera angles. I had her in 2nd (now 1st because of Anna Tarusina's withdrawal) for my predictions, so I hope she at least gets onto the podium. :biggrin:

5. Emmi Peltonen: I actually enjoyed Emmi the most. The program is nice to watch and the combo was great. Too bad about the pop though.

6. Alexia Paganini: Same as above. Her program is nice and she did very well other than the pop.

Also shout out to Olivia Gran for ending her program solidly after the interruption. Honestly, it's not her fault that her CD decided to be disruptive...the judges should've let her start again...

And also the news about the bus crash was devastating to hear. I hope that everyone involved will be okay soon.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Lots of new talent here!

1. Alina Zagitova: She has good spins, great jumps (and rippons!!!), and solid footwork. But 40.80 TES...what were the judges thinking :palmf:...this is higher than any senior international TES from last season, and this was set by a debuting junior. Alina is really talented, but honestly most of her GOEs were way too high. She also skates a bit cold as well so 27 PCS isn't really reasonable either...:slink:

2. Kaori Sakamoto: Kaori seems to have improved a lot and I enjoyed her! Beautiful 3Lo and nice performance throughout.

3. Rin Nitaya: She needs a bit more power into her skating, but overall her performance was good. Also, :yay: for choreo from Akiko!

Zagitova'a TES is driven first by her jump backloading with 2 Rippons, second by very difficult SS, third by fast spins with many positions. May be one could argue a bit about GOE. But then you praize Kaori and Rin's skating and here I have problems. If the "fair" score for Alina is 68 -3 = 65 then Kaori should have received 64 - 3 = 61. The relative scores of the leading three for me are absolutely correct.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Zagitova'a TES is driven first by her jump backloading with 2 Rippons, second by very difficult SS, third by fast spins with many positions. May be one could argue a bit about GOE.

I second samkrut on this - TES is the less subjective of the scores as it depends upon how how difficult the elements are and how the skater executes them. Zagitova was definitely solid and the program was difficult particularly with the backend jump passes. She was just 3 points behing in BV the winner of the mens SP and 2 points ahead of him in the final TES score. With 100% components she would have beaten all the guys... (As would have Sakamoto and Nitaya.)

I'm glad to see the good buzz Emmi Peltonen is getting - she did not do technically too good last year, but the presentation side was certainly something positive already back then. I hope she keeps calm and does good today in the FS!

e

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
there's a post @ CSKA that Anna has an operation on her knee & her mom is about to fly to France

Hopefully everything is OK & its successful :sad21:
http://www.ltk-cska.ru/

Last edited:

catchie

On the Ice
Sending the best thoughts to Anzelika and Anna. I'm also hoping that the psychological damage isn't too bad and they an recover from it as quickly as possible...