2016 Rio: Men's Artistic Gymnastics | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Men's Artistic Gymnastics

ioanna

Record Breaker
Isn't Tomita the vicepresident of the technical panel now? Something like that. Our commentator in Romania said he was in Rio as one of the judges.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I had the good fortune of being at the Athens Olympics and seeing the Japanese men in action then. It's been a long time rooting and hoping for them to win another team gold medal at the Olympics. I couldn't tear my eyes off the television screen last night, such an exciting and nerve-wrecking couple of hours!

Congratulations guys, more than deserved!! :yahoo:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
WOW Congrats to Team Japan for their Gold Medal! Simply the Best!

Congrats to Russia for taking Silver(they were so happy) and to China for winning the Bronze.

Great men's competition all around!

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
:laugh:
I really love that team. im glad to see them now as coaches, commentators, etc.
--------------------------------------------------------
This is Tomita-san's interview (page 5 is especially impressive.) His talk shows deep insight. Nice interview.
http://www.oaj.jp/interview/01_tomita/004.html

I'm so proud of him too! He's the second Vice President of the men's technical committee for the FIG! I had no idea he was judging. I want to know what apparatus. Lol

Last edited:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
I'm so proud of him too! He's the second Vice President of the men's technical committee for the FIG! I had no idea he was judging. I want to know what apparatus. Lol

I looked up it, but couldn’t catch it. My guess is Horizontal bar.:biggrin:

Tomita-san’s interview after the victory yesterday
http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/sports/2016rio/577571/

After the quals result of 4th, Tomita-san had the strict words about final. In final, usually judges refer to scores of quals, so they were quite disadvantageous. Before quals Uchimura repeated the possibility of gold would vanish if they couldn’t win the 1st at quals. After the final yesterday, Uchimura was delighted that their performances were judged suitably even though they had been 4th. Tomita-san also got excited about the winning from big behind.
Uchimura had been aiming for the gold of team seeing Athens, but he stated that they couldn’t top Athens at the interview yesterday. Tomita-san admired him that he was humble and this humility is based on what he is now.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Please let me know who are the strongest competitors for Individuals al-around final? I'd love to keep an eye on them (if their progess will be covered well by TV coverage I'll get tonight). I have hopes for Kohei Uchimura, he's a legend and after watching him competing at team event at every apparatus I have so much respect for him. My other favorites are Ryohei Kato and David Belyavskiy (I just put my eye on him from the Team event, he's a very good looking young man:biggrin:). I've heard Ukrainian Oleg Verniaiev is very good too. Who else to watch?

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Please let me know who are the strongest competitors for Individuals al-around final? I'd love to keep an eye on them (if their progess will be covered well by TV coverage I'll get tonight). I have hopes for Kohei Uchimura, he's a legend and after watching him competing at team event at every apparatus I have so much respect for him. My other favorites are Riohey Kato and David Belyavskiy (I just put my eye on him from the Team event, he's a very good looking young man:biggrin:). I've heard Ukrainian Oleg Verniaiev is very good too. Who else to watch?

Oleg is close to beating Uchimura if he can complete his difficulty without mistakes.
Manrique Larduet of Cuba
Max Whitlock of Britain
Kato Ryohei of Japan
Deng Shudi of China are all aiming for the podium.

Last edited:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Oh and I have a question: Ryohei's father is a coach for both his son and Kohei? Have you read any interviews to give me the insight: is father more harsh woth his son at times? Whose decision it was for Ryohei to go into gymnastics- was it a father's or son's desire? I love how Ryohei is so calm like water. And he's so cute.:love:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Oh and I have a question: Ryohei's father is a coach for both his son and Kohei? Have you read any interviews to give me the insight: is father more harsh woth his son at times? Whose decision it was for Ryohei to go into gymnastics- was it a father's or son's desire? I love how Ryohei is so calm like water. And he's so cute.:love:
Kohei and Ryohei are both part of the Konami Sports Club which is coached in part by Ryohei's father. Ryohei only joined the club last year after he graduated from college. Ryohei also has a younger brother who is a gymnast. It's a family thing.
In fact, all of team Japan right now have parents who are also gymnasts or coaches etc.