Men's Artistic Gymnastics 2015 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men's Artistic Gymnastics 2015

Bonesfan

On the Ice
We have to see Larduet at Rio. He's a star!
And at last, Uchimura gets a HB gold.
This has been the most gold Uchimura has gotten in one championship.
He just gets better with age. And he keeps pushing his D score higher too. -He does it while maintaining his super high E-score.

:gclap::yahoo::bow::party2:

ioanna

Record Breaker
I would also like to say congratulations to Marian Dragulescu for winning the silver medal in a vault final where almost everyone else was doing the jump he invented. He is almost 35 years old and hasn't competed in almost 4 years. Thank you Larisa Iordache and Marian Dragulescu for bringing these precious medals to our country.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I would also like to say congratulations to Marian Dragulescu for winning the silver medal in a vault final where almost everyone else was doing the jump he invented. He is almost 35 years old and hasn't competed in almost 4 years. Thank you Larisa Iordache and Marian Dragulescu for bringing these precious medals to our country.

I am so happy for those 2! Disappointed for the WAG team, but they'll surely get the team spot at the test event.

I love how Dragulescu just casually came out of retirement after 4 years and wins a silver medal, only 0.050 points behind the winner. Insane. And it was hilarious to see so many men compete his vault.

One of my moments of the championships: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eHrFy9A0qw

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Did anyone else find the Bouquets- very weedy? I understand that thistles and heather are the official flowers of Scotland, but it looked just like someone had gone out and pulled up the closest bit of shrubbery.
Uchimura did not look impressed. :dumb:
They could have tied it in a colorful tartan ribbon at least.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Did anyone else find the Bouquets- very weedy? I understand that thistles and heather are the official flowers of Scotland, but it looked just like someone had gone out and pulled up the closest bit of shrubbery.
At least this time the bouquet had no bees in it :biggrin: During the women's all around medal ceremony, Simone Biles turned towards Larisa Iordache and said "see, no bees this time". :laugh:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
My sister and I were browsing magazines while shopping today and we were disgusted that the sports stands were full of Yuzu mags...I mean absolutely FULL...but not a single magazine dedicated to gymnastics.
There are at least 5 dedicated figure skating magazines going every month and lots of features in general sports but we could not find any magazines that are dedicated to gymnastics, which is one of Japan's strongest traditional sports.
Something must be done.
I want a magazine that is full of team Japan guys and girls doing incredible aerial moves (I already have plenty of Yuzu magazines).

ioanna

Record Breaker
My sister and I were browsing magazines while shopping today and we were disgusted that the sports stands were full of Yuzu mags...I mean absolutely FULL...but not a single magazine dedicated to gymnastics.
There are at least 5 dedicated figure skating magazines going every month and lots of features in general sports but we could not find any magazines that are dedicated to gymnastics, which is one of Japan's strongest traditional sports.
Something must be done.
I want a magazine that is full of team Japan guys and girls doing incredible aerial moves (I already have plenty of Yuzu magazines).

That is unfortunate. I get why Yuzuru is getting all the media coverage - but Japan has the best gymnast of all times at the moment and we barely see him. I remember the Yuzuru poster that was put on the Fuji TV building before the World Championships. It was as tall as 9 stories. Uchimura should have been getting the same treatment since long ago. I also remember an interview of Uchimura's from last year - and they asked him what he thought about Yuzuru becoming Olympic Champion. They expected Uchimura, Olympic Champion and now 6 time World Champion to talk about another athlete. Ridiculous.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
They need to market themselves more. But I don't know how they'd do that.
On the plus side tickets to their events are cheap. 30USD for an arena seat...I'm going to the all Japan Team competition at the end of November. So I'll see Uchimura, Kato, Tanaka, Kenzo and many more gymnasts in person.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
On the plus side tickets to their events are cheap. 30USD for an arena seat...I'm going to the all Japan Team competition at the end of November. So I'll see Uchimura, Kato, Tanaka, Kenzo and many more gymnasts in person.

SO JEALOUS!

I'm surprised about the coverage. I would think the men's team would get their fair amount of coverage (it looked to me that after 2004 Athens men's gymnastics was incredibly revitalized in Japan). Maybe when they win gold in Rio :)hap85:) they'll get more coverage.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Oh, there were various newsclips about Uchimura + Team Japan and TV specials, of course. Today I saw 2 on TV. But it's just nothing near what Figure Skating gets. Yuzu had a photo shoot and that's on TV. Every time he does a commercial, it gets a space on early morning news. So, maybe they should do a Gymnastics photo shoot and do more commercials. I'd love to see that.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I find the lack of coverage surprising.

I've always found that the Japanese are insanely proud of their sports heroes.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I find the lack of coverage surprising.

I've always found that the Japanese are insanely proud of their sports heroes.

One possible reason for lack of hype this year could be that half of team Japan went in injured. They were not expecting to get so many golds this time.
Last year they fielded a very strong team and were all set to beat China at home. There was more coverage then. But they didn't manage it. This year the team was relatively weaker and younger, so I suppose the media wasn't expecting much. You can never tell what's going to happen with sports.

malo42

On the Ice
I might be wrong but I've gotten the feeling that Uchimura likes and values his privacy a lot so he may be perfectly happy not being in the extreme spotlight. I am surprised that there aren't magazines focused on the mens team though! I for one would buy a magazine with Kato on the cover :laugh: With such a good mens team I would think Japan would be all over it. I saw this mentioned somewhere else but I kind of let it slip my mind that Japan has the 2020 Olympics coming up so maybe in the coming years there will be more attention towards gymnastics and other summer sports... I'd like to see them build their ladies team up.

Mikansei

Learning how to spin
On the Ice

Wow I envy you!! The ticket is quite cheap, would totally go if I was still in Japan.

I'm also surprised that the coverage of gymnastic is quite poor in Japan compared to figure skating, especially when they manage to get good results. I remember seeing lots of magazines with pictures of Hanyu everywhere, but none of the gymnastic team. It's especially hard to find information on the women's team. Hopefully with the Olympic in Rio next year there will be more coverage. I find the interviews and their appearance on shows interesting, it looks like they all get along well despite having age gaps which is a good thing. I like the fact that Uchimura and Kato feels like Kenzo is like an alien because he's twisting too much :biggrin:

treeloving

Medalist
Yes, I have always wondered why Uchimura seems not be as popular as Yuzuru when he actually has more accomplishments sport wise.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I might be wrong but I've gotten the feeling that Uchimura likes and values his privacy a lot so he may be perfectly happy not being in the extreme spotlight. I am surprised that there aren't magazines focused on the mens team though! I for one would buy a magazine with Kato on the cover :laugh: With such a good mens team I would think Japan would be all over it. I saw this mentioned somewhere else but I kind of let it slip my mind that Japan has the 2020 Olympics coming up so maybe in the coming years there will be more attention towards gymnastics and other summer sports... I'd like to see them build their ladies team up.

Well, he is the ikemen of the team, isn't he? :luv17:

I think on the whole (at least from my perception) figure skating is more popular, even though Japanese men's gymnastics has much, much more of a legacy (more so than Japanese figure skating as a whole). And yes, Kohei is quite shy (he was even more shy when he first became a senior). I remember one interview after Beijing and I think he only said a few words! Of course most of the questions were directed towards Tomita.

Last edited: