2016 Skate America Men's SP | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Men's SP

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
I would have put Jason over Shoma in PCS too. Actually, despite the jumping problems, I think I actually enjoyed Boyang's program more than Shoma's. I admire the way Spiderman didn't give up on the choreography and continued to sell that program.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I would have put Jason over Shoma in PCS too. Actually, despite the jumping problems, I think I actually enjoyed Boyang's program more than Shoma's. I admire the way Spiderman didn't give up on the choreography and continued to sell that program.

Definitely! And that from a guy who barely had any program at all last season. I cannot stretch how impressed I am :love:

SpiderBoyang~, SpiderBoyang~, does what only an improved Boyang can~... :hap93:

yuki

Final Flight

Jason was over Shoma in PCS (by a hair, but still)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Did Nam end up going to prom with Polina Edmunds? He looks completely different. Much more confident and energetic.

Whatever happens at the prom stays at the prom. :scard7:

edit: LOOOOOOL Besp are openly talking about his possible relationship with Edmunds affecting his confidence. :laugh2:
Good or bad. Will Polina influence him to wear a big tacky bow on his costume???

qwertyskates

Medalist
Good job Shoma, gutsy! Though I too feel that Jason's transitions were better.

Adam did well, but I find his skating "cold", he's better suited to Debussy's "Afternoon of a Faun", which capitalizes on his style better.

Nam did well too, but missing charisma and speed in his skate, I don't like the program, the music, don't like this genre, but so glad that he's made his comeback.

Poor Boyang, is he likely out of GPF?

I really enjoyed Spiderman the most of all the programs tonight despite the jump fails, didn't expect Lori to pull this one out at all, well done Lori! :laugh:

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I love that one of the judges tried to give Adam a costume deduction but was overruled according to the protocol. :laugh:

That program is one entertaining hot disaster.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Missed the Men's SP and watched it on YouTube later and have to say -- what is up with all the screaming during Adam's SP...it really sort of made it unwatchable.

Enjoyed Timothy, Nam and Jason. Sad to see Boyang miss his jumps, but liked the program.

Shoma is such a beautiful skater, but I feel like he's really throwing away points on +GOE. He's scored just as much with his less risky layout.

Last edited:

LadyB

Record Breaker
I can't believe that Max just doesn't seem to get off the ground in his jumps. I'd have thought he sorted his difficulties in that department out. :palmf: Music and interpretation are so much better than last year. In fact, I find his SP suits him. I so wish for him to make it to Olympics, considering the way he was short changed last time.
All the happier for Sergei. Yes, son, go for it!:rock:
Delighted with Nam's performance. I keep my fingers crossed that he's on his way up again.
Shoma is still spectacular, bad day for Boyang, which is sad, I love watching him.

DiamondDust

Final Flight
Too late to the party but here are some of my impressions.

Boyang... so! my mystery box has been opened. I wasn't really happy with what I saw but he's a little better artistically now and it's nice to see that he's trying something different from last year's tango.

Maxim... sorry, I still don't like the music and too bad for the popped jumps. He fought quite hard there.

Nam... err, thought he was trying hard to sell the program. But better than Worlds and did good with the jumps. :hap10:

Shoma... as his music plays, Scheherazade kept playing in my head. I don't know, the program kind of fell plain to me. Didn't like the stsq either but the last spin was lovely.

Jason... I love Jason Brown. I know some of you are frustrated at the close score between Jason and Shoma and his quads still needs work but imo he's better at the PCS dep't than Shoma. Besides Jason has more transitions. Come on now. :cool14:

Adam... what's with his costume? He could've put on some practice clothes instead. Okay, overall, I thought the program was entertaining but didn't really love the music. And his fangirls were a little annoying...

PS. There are more doing the hydroblading suddenly. :cheer:

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Both sound like clubbing. :cool: I don't mind at all. :thumbsup:

Yes they do!

To be honest, I don't really love either SP. Having seen both Ashley and Adam live for the first time, I will say that while both are excellent performers, neither one really drew me in. Obviously I'm in the minority! But I feel like both programs have a lot of posing and two footed skating.

The audience was extremely rowdy today, both during men SP and ladies FS.in addition to a lot of fans from Japan, someone mentioned that there may have been a lot of sectional competitors attending - not sure if true, but it's definitely the biggest, noisiest crowd I've seen at the three Skate Americas I've attended.

MIM

Medalist
Boyang was a life and light of the Men's event to me.
Spider man was a brilliant idea and Lori's choreo was fun, energetic, witty, fast, young, as well as charismatic. Boyang embraced the character so well. He fell but came right back to the choreo and delivered a great performance. Lori did not give him any break; the program is packed but he does not play a catch-up. He is on the music and in the character. This is the best SP I have seen this year. I love Boyang dearly. He is a diamond, a true figure skating nerd. :laugh:

qwertyskates

Medalist
I rewatched Timothy Dolensky as I missed alot because the feed was lagging, and wow, he was truly impressive. I would have him higher in PCS than he received. Boyang too, he got up, sold it "at the speed of light" despite the falls. It looks like first performance nerves - can't wait to see a clean Spiderman even if he doesn't make it to GPF.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Quads...risky moves didn't get paid off....:palmf:

Boyang's new program was refreshing, but all jumps were not cleanly landed. I think his Spider-Man costume needs some size adjustment because he looked like wearing a borrowed costume from rental shops for Halloween. I literally screamed after Kovtun botched two jumping passes in a row after nailing 4S+3T..why he did that so often? Voronov was on fire, but didn't make a clean performance too. Shoma's jumps were all iffy as well and his overall performance was underwhelming too.

I liked Adam's performance the most without quad, but his sleeveless and see-through shirt is too much. Nam is returning to his old form after he struggled with sudden growing spurts throughout last season, so obviously his coach change and training relocation are paid off.

Becki

Medalist
I love Boyang's program...it is so interesting that I have already watched it three times already.

Jason's program is exquisite! Glad he went for the quad.

Shoma has a lovely program but too many little errors on the jumps today.

Adam has an...unconventional program. Not too sure how I feel about everything.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, saw most of the tapes, too much to talk about, but...

since I spent most of last year p!ssing and moaning about Adam's mesh tops (and I like Adam, and I like this SP, I like the diva posing, what can I say?)...

That top :eekn: To pull off muscle boy in mesh you need to be a muscle boy. Obviously all you skater guys are in top shape, and you're also all 5' 7" and 130 pounds. It *does* *not* *look* good, I don't care if they wore it to all the 90s clubs when you were just a teeny tot...

:drama: