2017 Autumn Classic Intl SD | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017 Autumn Classic Intl SD

andromache

Record Breaker
I am not a Tessa/Scott uber. I was team Meryl/Charlie, and I consider myself to be team Gabby/Guillaume as well (my favorite FD EVER is To Build a Home).

But holy effing crap. The practice clips alone gave me CHILLS. I know Moulin Rouge is overused, but it's overused for a reason. The EMOTIONS. And I love love LOVE seeing this more passionate V/M, rather than their softness that Marina usually highlighted. I love EPIC. And this FD is epic as anything ever. It'll probably make me weep more than once this season. This is going to be THE Moulin Rouge.

Legitimate goosebumps. Omg. What if I become team Tessa/Scott after this???? NOOOOO!

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
V/M: What's so exciting about recycling an old lift? Personally I don't think it's at all attractive either.

W/P: I'm sure that these costumes will change for the Grand Prix. Though, personally I love their costumes!

G/P: I never thought I'd hear the theme from Perry Mason in a Free Dance

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am not a Tessa/Scott uber. I was team Meryl/Charlie, and I consider myself to be team Gabby/Guillaume as well (my favorite FD EVER is To Build a Home).

But holy effing crap. The practice clips alone gave me CHILLS. I know Moulin Rouge is overused, but it's overused for a reason. The EMOTIONS. And I love love LOVE seeing this more passionate V/M, rather than their softness that Marina usually highlighted. I love EPIC. And this FD is epic as anything ever. It'll probably make me weep more than once this season. This is going to be THE Moulin Rouge.

Legitimate goosebumps. Omg. What if I become team Tessa/Scott after this???? NOOOOO!

Just enjoy it. Nothing wrong with finally opening new doors.

Debrah

On the Ice
Just remember everyone Challenger events are only the kick-off opening to the GP season, it's September and still a long way off to the OLYMPICS no one is in perfect shape yet, and this was only practice anyway. How many costume changes did the top teams go through even last year and this is the main season, probably stuff will change at every event till the team feels it is all just as perfect as they can make it. No team is going to want to peak too early, what we should hope to see is the potential for epic greatness and what programs will create momentum and buzz to set them up for where they want to be in February/March. Until today I have been somewhat underwhelmed, but that changed after watching ACI dance practice, my goose bumps have goose bumps. My jaw is still on the floor just from the wee bits of the FD program run thru's from the Canadian teams of V/M and G/P just brilliant and epic comes to mind taking everything we have known and loved and still reaching new highs and emotions, also some out of the box moves to keep things spicy and interesting grabbing attention from the get go - just wow. Even W/P SD was the 1st SD that seems to have a cohesive feeling to it and the Cuban style works for them. I am encouraged and rather hopeful. I think Scott and Tessa will likely become the best dance team ever to grace the ice and they will be leaving a lasting legacy on the sport generally and Canada in particular. I can't wait for the party to get started! And you know what? Piper and Paul and Kaitlyn and Andrew looked like they belonged each team having something special and unique to offer their fans. I was in awe of all the ice dance talent we saw today in Montreal. Expect excellence not perfection and room for growth over the season and everyone peaking at the proper moment, that is my hope.

Sharla

Rinkside
Sorry this might be long...my first post although I used to be a member here some years back but I lost track of my username (but it probably had some form of tapdancer in it) and password. Anyway, I was a huge D/W uber, then and now but more importantly, I am an ice dance fan. Ice dance over the last 10 years or so has evolved so amazingly and now I love so many teams I can't keep up! I am an American and I love our American ice dancers but I can't help but melt over the top 3 Canadian teams. Piper and Paul are so innovative and interesting, I always look forward to what they are coming up with. Can't say I'm in love with their FD music (well mostly the middle of it) but still, they are amazing. Kaitlyn and Andrew...I have loved them for years but have had a whole new view of them since last season. Just wow. Their glide and lines are just sublime and the passion and romance they have...well, they got me hook, line, and sinker. I really hope they get an Olympic medal! On to Tessa and Scott. So honestly, my love for D/W was all-consuming and since they were head to head rivals for so long, I just had to go with D/W. Not that I haven't appreciated what V/M has to offer! I watched their practice FD and omg...they have gotten even better and I'm just in awe. For the record, D/W have also gotten better on the show circuit but I totally understand why they have chosen not to return to competition. Tessa and Scott made the right decision to return and they look amazing to me. With all the fantastic ice dance teams it's just a joy to watch. Can't wait to see how this comp turns out, wishing all the teams the best of everything!

jemmabrie17

Rinkside
Count me in as another person who can barely wait for this competition to start!! I love all the disciplines in Figure skating, but there is just something special about ice dance in particular that captures my interest. I'm a relatively new figure skating fan (I was a very causal viewer for quite some time beforehand), so I haven't really been present to the long-term evolution first hand, but I must say that even in about the two years I've been watching ice dance, the progress from long standing teams who've really just began to reach their full potential, to the rules themselves somewhat aiding the evolution of the overall style and aesthetic as well as the technique and overall combination of the two.There are about 8 different teams with a feasible shot at the Olympic podium at the moment. I'm not sure if that really is all that common or not but to my newbies eyes that says a lot about the depth. It all has been remarkable for me to watch .I'm really looking to all the teams already mentioned here. Smart and Diaz - hopefully they can have a rebound from last weeks disappointing result so the will have a stronger and more confident grasp on their programs for the GP assignments. which I think is essential early on, especially so as they are vying for an Olympic spot against another very capable team. I wonder if nerves were a factor last week. hopefully they have subsided as they looked pretty solid in their LD practice. Fournier-Beaudry and Sorensen - I think their new free dance is a great vehicle for them and I can't wait to what they can do with it here. not sure if their SD is a standout but at least it puts their gorgeous connection on display. I think they can work with that! McNamara and Carpenter - I'm intrigued to see how they will perform and place here. after a less than stellar last season (by their standards), they seemed ready to shed that all and in their senior debut at lake placid produced two good skates for a competition so early on in the season. but this will be Lorraine and Quinn's first real "test". I thought they looked fierce and ready to go in their LD practice today, if that's anything to go by. Gilles and Poirier - I always appreciate their unique approach to skating while still making a point to grow and improve themselves continually. I thought that there quality of movement looked the best that has ever been judging by those practice clips. not sure what to the of the music yet but I love the dress.rReally interested in seeing their gopher mambo short. Weaver and Poje - I'm not quite sure from what little bit I did see of the SD if it plays to Kaitlyn and Andrew's strengths. Maybe they were just toning it down for practice but they didn't seem to be selling it. though I do thing they have the ability to do if the can really get into it. but got to see the final product before I can make any sort of conclusion. I can see what they were going for with their costumes, I think if done well it could transfer across with the program as a whole as a unique latin piece while still managing to stay traditional. I think the idea is thoughtful. If I'm interpreting correctly (and i'm probably not :think:) .Virtue and Moir - I don't think I have seen them look this content and confident in a long program this early on in the season in a very long time. I wasn't initially enthused with the idea of reusing some of their favorite lifts from their previous programs but they do seem to be even harder variations in some ways and it's almost like sort of a homage to their career. and I firmly believe they were meant to do that Carmen lift a the Olympics. I love the twizzles, unique, challenging, and in tune with the general zeitgeist of the program. the ending was just stunning. it took my breath away. like the proverbial cherry on top to what looks like a program with much promise. I would of liked to see the short too but I guess we will see it soon enough! sending good vibes to all the competitors and hoping those who are debuting have a wonderful start to a hopefully wonderful year and everyone has strong performances!! Team optimism!! :hap10:

ETA: Oopsies that was A LOT longer than I had intended it to be. :palmf:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

for me, watching it yesterday gave the same kind of feeling as watching Skate Canada 'Carmen' FD practice back in 2012 - this really undescribed sense of some special thing happening. And yes - it is 'Moulin Rouge' program, the music we know already very well in figure skating and I do get that some people will despise the whole FD altogether due to this music used. But for me it is really HOW and WHY are you using particular music, HOW are you making it work the best for you, not IF you are using particular music.

The first thing that my mind registered watching this practice was how strong the whole concept of a program is, how they are radiating with confidence. There is a sense of total devotion, dedication and faith in that program from them - even in the practice the emotional layer, their expression were already there. And it looked like the story they want to tell, emotions they want to convey may start with 'Moulin Rouge', the music, but it is just a departure point for them. It's quite admirable for me to still see the spark, the purpose, the will to go for more seeing them in their 3rd Olympic circle - there is really no afterthought, no so-so quality in that FD from what I've seen so far. I think that this is one of very few teams - if not the only team now - who can do BIG concept, bold story, overused music and make all of that as their very own. Their unique ability to make drama moderately and so tastefully is magnificent.

Personally, to go more under FD specifics - I actually love both 'Moulin Rouge' pieces used and the way they mesh together into that quite unique finale (I expected more of a 'bang' at the end, but there is the focus pointed on the emotion, not the amount of it, which is quite unusual to see), love the guts for going for 'Carmen' cursed lift (which I personally loved), all moments in-between elements, either in holds or not - their natural dancers ability really shines through every move. And for me it's again HOW they are meshing their best stuff into that one FD, not really focusing if they re-used lift, move or something else - this is a program where I definitely won't make complaints over re-using something.

Ender

Match Penalty
Why people are complaining about V/M using their Carmen's lift? It's their best and the most memorable one.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Oh boy we are in for a treat with this line up. Can't wait :hap57:

sarama

Medalist
Why people are complaining about V/M using their Carmen's lift? It's their best and the most memorable one.

I wasn't overly impressed with their lifts for this program. They are mostly recycled and I really liked only the first one and the Prince one. The "new" Carmen one is okay, but the original version was more impressive IMHO. However I think it was a good idea to bring it back. It's a controversial lift (although I always liked it and it never bothered me), and in an Olympic season you want people to talk about you!

Vera Costa

Rinkside
However I think it was a good idea to bring it back. It's a controversial lift (although I always liked it and it never bothered me), and in an Olympic season you want people to talk about you!

I adore their Carmen lift, so I'm glad they brought it back. I hope they keep the first lift too. It looks like a boomerang video. At the Olympics, most of the audience won't have seen any of these elements anyway.

We'll have to see how many of these elements remain the same as the season progresses.

sarama

Medalist
I'm so happy for Lorraine and Quinn: having their proper Senior debut sharing the warm-up with Tessa and Scott must feel great. Maybe a bit overwhelming, but so exciting!

MsSweetie

Rinkside
Just watched V/M's practice on the live stream... wow. I can't wait to see it in it's entirety and as it develops over the season.

TangoTraumatica

On the Ice
G/P SD – Practice Clips - Enjoyed it! LOVE Piper's dress, love the music, love the program.

W/P SD – Practice Clips - Program is alright, costumes are...confusing. They look like French waiters or something?

V/M FD – Practice Clips – IN LOVE, CAN'T WAIT. Don't even care that they're recycling some lifts because the opening lift is AMAZING.

V/M SD – Practice Clips – Guys. I AM a Virtue/Moir uber and I do not like the program. I find the music in the first section very confusing and odd. Am I crazy or is it just a random latin beat on top of rock music? I'm not convinced. I REALLY hope that it feels different when it's skated full out this evening, and as the season progresses! I don't love the lift at the end, and I think if they're going to recycle a lift, I'd rather them use the Hip-Hip FD lift. This rotational one seems clunky.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I don't like V/M's SD as of right now, but I think they of all teams can definitely make it work and maybe I'll end up loving it later on in the season. I do think they hit it out of the ballpark with those costumes though.

sarama

Medalist
I wonder if Scott lost a bet that made him abandon his trademark no glitz outfits...I totally didn't expect to see him so committed in the costume department, but I am glad he did! Tessa looked :bow:
For now this is the strongest of the two programs IMHO

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I'm stuck at work, would you be able to post some photos of SD for Tessa/Scott if available? Or post some descriptions? I'm not patient enough when it comes to costuming probably:laugh:

sarama

Medalist
I'm stuck at work, would you be able to post some photos of SD for Tessa/Scott if available? Or post some descriptions? I'm not patient enough when it comes to costuming probably:laugh:

Very basic description: Tessa has a black dress, high neck, similar cut to the FD practice one she wore yesterday, with a lot of quite big golden rhinestones. She looks awesome. Scott has black pants, metallic dark gray top with cutouts on the upper chest area (sparkly trimmed), and a deep V. I'm not in love with these costumes, but they work very well with the program

If you want pictures