2017 CS Lombardia Trophy Short Dance | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2017 CS Lombardia Trophy Short Dance

nimi

Medalist
Is this another new Japanese team?

They're not really selling the program, but they're trying. Especially her. Props for that.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
That was one sloppy pattern from the Japanese. I never do counts because who knows if the music is synced up, but I would be very surprised if they hit any key points.

All I kept thinking was that must be a very difficult skirt for her to skate in.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
some sync issues but Rikako and Aru is so fun and cute:luv17: really enjoyed that :dance:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
:), but I see your point about 'more interesting dance' though, it really is applicable to many teams, even top quality ones...My post is more of general reflection I have on Charlene/Marco way of performing I gather

No I agreed with most of what you said. I've been watching them now for years, and the improvement is marked. But their programs. Oy. Barbara is notorious--or she should be--for taking whatever made a big splash LAST YEAR--and foisting it on them the next year. I'm thinking back over their programs and these are the moments I remember: the twizzles from their FD last year; Schindler's List. That's why I say they simply need better programs. They are never going to break into the top tier until they do.

Kittosuni

Medalist
This SD was a struggle to ALL the teams. Either they are dancing/ making faces very awkward or cringy.

The costumes are also on the W-T-Fck level.

Zero latin vide. G/F getting 8s in Performance and Interpretation? Who the fck are you kidding? 6 should be the highest score all the teams got in PE and IN.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
This SD was a struggle to ALL the teams. Either they are dancing/ making faces very awkward or cringy.

The costumes are also on the W-T-Fck level.

Zero latin vide. G/F getting 8s in Performance and Interpretation? Who the fck are you kidding? 6 should be the highest score all the teams got in PE and IN.

Well G/F got a little home cooking boost, but honestly, they always get these big Challenger Series scores. Tis a mystery.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
No I agreed with most of what you said. I've been watching them now for years, and the improvement is marked. But their programs. Oy. Barbara is notorious--or she should be--for taking whatever made a big splash LAST YEAR--and foisting it on them the next year. I'm thinking back over their programs and these are the moments I remember: the twizzles from their FD last year; Schindler's List. That's why I say they simply need better programs. They are never going to break into the top tier until they do.

yes, I see that point totally - it is usually a packaging thing that keeps some teams to break out, as not every team is skilled to pull off different material or elevate so-so one to the good range, or not every team is at the point of having its own identity/style crystalized to do stuff in their own way and get on with it.

pearly

Record Breaker
Oh. The French are a costume violation waiting to happen.

And they did get a costume violation. Anyone know why? I don't know the ice dance rule book by heart so I'm not sure what, other than piece of costume on ice, gets you a -1.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
And they did get a costume violation. Anyone know why? I don't know the ice dance rule book by heart so I'm not sure what, other than piece of costume on ice, gets you a -1.

Well if this were Project Runway more than one judge would say, "I question your taste level."

humbaba

Final Flight
Lots of level 2s on the rhumba pattern. Ellie and Alex really got hammered and got a level 1. On paper, looks like an unfriendly tech panel for them.

Barb

Record Breaker
Hey NNF! Hope all is well with you too. Yeah, all I kept thinking when I watched L/D was why are they superimposing Russian Dramuh on Latin Drama? Holy Cognitive Dissonance Batman!

what is the difference between Russian drama and latin drama? . I thought they looked better than in the russian test and that other competition.

And I think that Koleto/Komatsubara music was really good, Marc Anthony recorded Ahora quién both pop and salsa version, and they used both versions.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Finally got a bit of 'grip'of that SD (I am seriously behind and just watched SD AND FD subsequently) and I have to say – AY MIJA about some of wardrobe choices and musical ones...

Out of 'top' duos there, Elliana and Alex looked for me the worst, and I am so gutted about this, because I'm a fan of their chemistry. About Elliana's costume and whole styling – at first glance I though that Jana Khoklova magically appeared on ice, she looked so old and serious. Make-up too heavy, too dark (either eyes or lips – golden rule) and dress is looking plain cheap and cray-cray like. It looks especially bad standing her next to polished and sleek-looking Alex – her styling needs MAJOR re-modelling. Next, the vehicle – very bland and uninspired I feel, I totally see them rocking 'Dirty Dancing' convention for example and they got a very mediocre synthesis of accidentally thrown elements in my opinion. Then, the performance – what irked me the most (and same thing in their FD) is Elliana's hesitation in performing/expressing: she constantly looked at sides or at Alex with uncertain expression, like she sought some assurance over way she skated. I did not feel the fluidity and confidence radiating from their skate and they seemed rather slow in comparison to other teams. The SD as a whole needs LOTS of work, but mostly some coherence and continuity to make a solid, convincing vehicle.

I'm a fan of Alexandra and Maxim's SD, because it's very fluid and flowy between rhythms, with nice musicality in movement, right, cheeky attitude, flirtatious vibe, there is already a certain amount of polish about elements and some idea expressed how they want to make it look and sell (basically, there is some clear character expressed by whole program, in opposite to Pogrebinski/Benoit). LOVE the lift and musical choices (all pieces sound good together), BUT her costume is a disaster...I immediately thought of cobalt catsuit fully in fringe with black underside, open back and little sparkle details, it would go nicely with blue accent in Maxim's costume; eventually – she's in hot pink/red fringe number, he's in black trousers, black simple vest with light-colored short-sleeved shirt over it. Either way – that naked butt illusion with fringe over it has to go.

Alla and Pavel – well, after watching their SD and FD in a row for the first time my life wont be the same, that's a given :laugh:. I see that there is a skill, speed, ice coverage, nice skating in holds, but packaged and showed off by such poor choreography, styling I can't even. The music would be much better if the last song was replaced by something else in Brazilian samba climate, but it is probably the smallest issue I have...They both have to control their expression better, it all seems so much 'over-the-top' in tacky way, resembling Russian drama in a bad way. He has to get rid of those random kick here and there, she has to control her arms movement and her dance poses/figures she does in step sequence as her centre is way too high in her body while doing them. And please about costumes – he looks more like for 'Prince Igor' ready, her dress does very little reference to Brazilan samba, the whole styling needs to look much lighter, sensual and flirty. But they do have goods to pull off something fabulous, hence twice more frustration from me...

And Charlene and Marco – out of all I watched, definitely the most polished, convincing and ready all-around. I am very happy about 2 first musical pieces used, the third one is kind of misplaced, I'd love to see there something upbeat from Gloria Estefan instead. I like the attack, energy and the way they seemed to enjoy the music and themselves, especially Marco. There's already a nice flow between elements, the program itself is no OMG bananas like, but it is a solid vehicle they can totally sell. Again, costuming alert – white, nude and purple with that cut looks immature and not flattering on Charlene, too much material on the skirt if that assymetry is used on the top. My choice would be some simple dress with fringe finishing in red or emerald or something one-shouldered.