2017 Four Continents Free Dance | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Free Dance

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I love the discussions about which medal Shibs could get in the Worlds. I remember not so long ago I was frustrated with them not being close to the podium at all. Ah, how the tides have turned. :laugh: :luv17:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I hope there WILL be a battle for silver
With PC being brought back on earth the intrigue somehow is back
Tho predictability came back with V/M being out of reach for other teams :laugh:

cant agree more with the 2nd bolded
VM deserve better dance

They said in some interview from earlier this season (maybe last spring?) that they felt like there was a lot more they could have done with Carmen, so maybe they will try something similar.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Yes, yes, it's a conspiracy! It's ALL a conspiracy!! All of it! They've been plotting this for WEEKS and WEEKS! And now your life may be in danger for letting other people know!

:drama:
Not a conspiracy, just the USA judge.

They said in some interview from earlier this season (maybe last spring?) that they felt like there was a lot more they could have done with Carmen, so maybe they will try something similar.
I don't remember them saying that about Carmen. They said something similar about their Olympic season FD and about their past programs in general.

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
happy to hear that!
they're really the most capable & well rounded dancers nowdays so I usually have HUUge expectations :laugh: so they better bring something special & bring diversity esp the Oly season :bow:

breadstal

Record Breaker
Of course I missed it because I needed looots of sleep :sad4: How was crowd overall today, was arena more filled? They sounded more lively in videos than in SD :laugh:

yuna13

On the Ice
not a fan of their program but i thought the shibs were the best today. they should have won the fd.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I love the discussions about which medal Shibs could get in the Worlds. I remember not so long ago I was frustrated with them not being close to the podium at all. Ah, how the tides have turned. :laugh: :luv17:

The difference in scores between Shibs and V/M was five or so. Other than a mistake by V/M (unlikely), is there any way the Shibs could realistically beat them?

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
The difference in scores between Shibs and V/M was five or so. Other than a mistake by V/M (unlikely), is there any way the Shibs could realistically beat them?

I am a huge Shibs' fan, but realistically I think the gold is pretty much V/M's, unless they make a mistake. But silver or bronze in this field is still really good.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I don't get this..but I can admire it's execution. Those twizzles, especially the last ones, were fast.[/QUOTE

Well I'm a big fan of minimalism, and I give them MUCHO credit for this because it ain't easy to dance to something where the music is NOT going to do at least half the work for you.

MUCH MUCH better attack and speed in the first half of the program from earlier in the season. I'll be curious to see the levels.

I don't care if I'm the cheese who stands alone. It's my favorite FD of the season.

I think P/C and the Shibs have by far the most sophisticated and challenging theme and music of the top teams. V/M are trying to go for a middle ground with that tacked on Sam Smith song. C/B have an athletic FD but not much musical interpretation. H/D have the most accessible and basic FD theme with lots of schmaltz. W/P are doing a generic Morosov dance. G/P have a great tango and probably one of the best choreographed dances of the season but their skills need to catch up to it. C/L have a nice run-of-the-mill Chaplin routine but they have real personality and character out there that is sorely missed in ice dance. B/S have great ice coverage and long legs and I feel that's what their FD is really about.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
okay, before all the hell will break loose on YT under Shibutanis FD videos, my two little cents, as usual

first - that was a good competition, I enjoy every program in last 2 groups more or less, but really could find something to hang my eyes on and appreciate. Every team gave me different vibe, every program had different colour, emotion carried by it which was fantastic to see for me. Some performances were a bit too cautious, a bit too timid than I'd like to see, but I felt that every team gave their best effort there.

Gilles/Poirier still have my most beloved and favourite FD, even finishing 6th there is not changing that - and what a fabulous redemption skate from them! Yes - there is something to be said about that 'obsession' look in Paul's eyes and that edgy kind of affection going between them, highlighting sensual and sultry feel of the music. Amazing smoothness in step sequences, fluidity in transitions, musicality in their movement and poise in interpretation. Great connection to the music and whole performance, they were selling it amazingly to the audience. For me, this is a complete package - from the concept to the actual performance, there is nothing not cohesive in there: costumes, expression, interpretation, choreography, tension built are all in so much harmony it's insane to comprehend sometimes, but it was since Nepela. I knew this will be something entirely special.

WeaPo - despite being a little too slow than usual (?), I really connected with that performance. and I'll still defend the concept, this soft sensuality which could seduce the audience. My only wish would be more fluidity between elements, yes - the connection, chemistry, interpretation is there, but somehow there's a lack of 'finishing' the movement in places. And of course work is required to sharpen elements, to polish overall skating, adding that continuity and smoothness. And really, I feel like they just have to execute their stuff in a pristine way to get better marks, because they are still a hot commodity.

Tessa and Scott - wow, what a performance it was...So much emotion it felt almost physical to witness. So much power and skill, wrapped up in feelings, impressions, interaction. For me, it wasn't their best FD executed this season, but boy - they can transport me to some other dimension, their dimension where they're telling the story, portray the music, live up picture created, elevating it from program skated to experience in motion. So lovely quality of edge work during step sequences, strength in lifts, impeccable carriage on ice, sophistication and elevation in performance overall. Also, there's something majestic, 'big' in their skating, but at the same time - it seems so private, internal, personal. They've proved that they definitely can surpass just lyrical skating or romantic chemistry. Their ability to create their own space with each dance, each program performed and share it from their perspective with audiences and connect with them in so deeply never fails to amaze me.

and Maia and Alex - after the ending notes were played, they left me stunned, simply mesmerized by their performance. It was a special kind of experience for me and I know that it will take a special place in my heart. There was the feel of immense control over the program, performance of it, the feel of almost regal strength oozing from Maia and Alex, confidence in execution. Boy, THE EXECUTION it was...And the quality of every element, of every transition, everything so carefully thought, placed, expressed. There was a perfection enclosed in so minimal, quiet and understated package. So much musicality and sensibility over their movement, which is so hard to achieve with so minimal tools, simplistic approach towards program. At the same time my perception of that program performed today was that it was a celebration of their relationship, great bond they have and their bond with skating. There were subtle changes made, regardless of costumes - in-between elements the program, the feel of it seemed more open and accessible to the audience, there were more moments of presentation and celebrating the program with audience than before in my opinion, which added more value and depth to it. While Tessa and Scott performance felt so intimate and physical to me, Maia and Alex's was transcendent almost, floating a bit over reality.

I can only salute their skill and the way they're presenting it, with so much confidence and faith in themselves. It just flowed with the music, the movement, the quite joy from being on ice, in from of audience. Yes - I understand that they are not the most exuberant, vivid performers and their programs can seem too timid/one-note, but I really connect with that kind of skating, presenting itself so clinically, precisely, creating that closed image, but reaching deep in meaning to me. I'm simply glad they can now enjoy doing their stuff they're feeling comfortable with manner and polish almost unreal and so desirable.

Some poster wrote yesterday in SD thread that 'this is a competition', regarding whole charisma/personality showed by teams and Maia and Alex competed today masterfully. They made it really easy for me to look at the program, its execution - so much sharpness, attack, smoothness and polish over everything. That kind of quality in execution, so consistently and confidently delivered can't be denied and overlooked. And for me - if you're iron sharp, reliable in execution, it elevates the performance and it is a boost for PCS. What kind of twisted logic would it be to limit/punish Maia and Alex for skating like today, their PCS? They're simply playing on their biggest strengths which happen to be solid, sharp technique and consistence in delivering exquisite execution. I can understand not getting the program, not connecting to it, but I can't accept blaming them (again) for being technically pristine and getting recognition/reward for that.

And now only wait to French vs Shibutanis beef to happen, looking at 115 score...

Last edited:

Astrid56

Final Flight
I think P/C and the Shibs have by far the most sophisticated and challenging theme and music of the top teams. V/M are trying to go for a middle ground with that tacked on Sam Smith song. C/B have an athletic FD but not much musical interpretation ...

It's interesting that one would say that C/B's FD doesn't have much musical interpretation. I guess, I see it differently because I tend to see any ice-dance performance from a dance/theatrical perspective. I see theirs as more musical _ interpretative ice-dancing _ edgy ... avant garde. The Shibs' FD, while obviously pleasant to watch, is more about beautiful circular motions/movements - just executing movements that suit the melody_ a mishmash of aesthetically beautiful movements. P/C's style is the same but theirs tend to be more emotive giving depth to their performance (the difference between the Shibs and P/C). Of the three selections, choreographing to C/B's music is much harder and trickier and with the lyrics, it would be more challenging.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
It's interesting that one would say that C/B's FD doesn't have much musical interpretation. I guess, I see it differently because I tend to see any ice-dance performance from a dance/theatrical perspective. I see theirs as more musical _ interpretative ice-dancing _ edgy ... avant garde. The Shibs' FD, while obviously pleasant to watch, is more about beautiful circular motions/movements - just executing movements that suit the melody_ a mishmash of aesthetically beautiful movements. P/C's style is the same but theirs tend to be more emotive giving depth to their performance (the difference between the Shibs and P/C). Of the three selections, choreographing to C/B's music is much harder and trickier and with the lyrics, it would be more challenging.

I've been watching C/B for years and their movements seem to be the same in every FD. They use similar choreography, stand-alone transition moves, very similar expressions from Madison, and almost the same footwork sequence. I also find a their expressions to be pretty shallow myself. But it's just my opinion.

blackey

On the Ice
117 was too much for what V/M put on the ice, the scores seemed generally more inflated here than at Europeans (just IMO). P/C skated cleanly and their best FD this season at Europeans and got 114. The judges are basically saying that unless V/M screw up big time, the gold is theirs at Worlds. I am curious to see whether there will be a battle for silver (as the scores of S/S show here) or if P/C will easily get it at worlds if they are clean.
I am 98% sure the podium will be V/M, S/S and P/C with V/M winning. Not so sure about who gets second or third. I do prefer P/C because I think they are better ice dancers overall and their FD is my favorite this season but I also love the Shibs FD almost as equally. Unfortunately, V/M's FD does nothing for me, but this only a subjective manner. I cannot deny the quality of their skating. I so wish they would do something similar to Carmen next season!

or only because v/m is much better.

bramweld

Record Breaker
The Shibs were better today than in their SD. They just don't have a lasting impact on me; its too saccharine and repetitive for my tastes. I'm not going to go back and watch that for my pure enjoyment, I still watch I/Zs Carmen if I want that, the COR 2014 version. I like my dance with a little zip, personality, line and great edge work. Don't kill me i just want everything :). TThe Shibs are very smart competitors and they will be rewarded. If either of the usual suspects makes a mistake gold could be theirs at worlds.

As for the rest of the top six, none of them still has moved me the way Sui and Han did in their SP yesterday. V/M need to get away from this lyrical snot as their talent demands something more dynamic and inimitable. These two should never be hemmed in by something so conservative, and dare I say it bland. C/B just looked to be dialing in that program, they have no idea of how to really interpret that piece of music. W/P and H/D weren't at their very best either, so I'll reserve comment, Weaver looked disappointed in the K&K :(. I like G/Ps tango, and it scored well, but if they want to get into the 115 territory, it just needs a bit more speed and abandon, its too neat if that makes sense. These are my personal opinions though, I could always watch Daisuke any and every day over Patrick Chan so,TETO. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So once again all three Australian teams had one judge pin them for "violation of choreography restrictions". With the same programs they've been using all season. The smart money is that it was the same judge as yesterday. What the actual HECK?

bramweld

Record Breaker
So once again all three Australian teams had one judge pin them for "violation of choreography restrictions". With the same programs they've been using all season. The smart money is that it was the same judge as yesterday. What the actual HECK?

And people complain when I opine, is this REALLY a sport? Also in which universe are the Shibs and V/M only two points apart in the FD? LOL....

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
theres' natural evolution in perception of ID pairs from the undersore to overscore talk :laugh:

Last edited:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
or only because v/m is much better.

V/M were not at their best and almost got a WR again. The Shibs got almost 4 points over their PB. P/C on the other hand skated their best FD and yet it wasn't enough for a SB. I was only referring to the fact the panel (especially technical panel) seemed more lenient here. We very rarely see level 4 for steps in the FD and yet both V/M and the Shibs got it this time.

blackey

On the Ice
V/M were not at their best and almost got a WR again. The Shibs got almost 4 points over their PB. P/C on the other hand skated their best FD and yet it wasn't enough for a SB. I was only referring to the fact the panel (especially technical panel) seemed more lenient here. We very rarely see level 4 for steps in the FD and yet both V/M and the Shibs got it this time.

because if they're at their best they should break WR. I feel fairly ok with their score, p/c's WR got all level 4, v/m got only one level 3 here ,which is one more level 4 than gpf that's why they get SB, their pcs is lower than gpf so that's why I don't really think the score is "generally inflated". the shibs' score is weird tho I agree, now I really can't stop myself from believing what Mark Hanretty've said..