2017 Four Continents Pairs SP | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Pairs SP

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Not being able to watch but the scores show that the level was very high. A match for the amazing performances we have seen at the Europeans. Great to see pair skating at such a high level, so many teams with potential to podium at worlds!
Thrilled for Sui/Han's come back. I cannot wait to see their program

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Sui Han should keep this SP for Olympic season. I loveeeeee it!

I wish OTOH that they would keep FS, even if I saw only practices LOL :laugh:

I had to skip last 2 groups due to get ready to work, but can't wait to re-watch later. And over the moon and all stars for Lubov and Dylan, this can be their moment!!! And THRILLED to see Sui and Han back with such great shape, Alexa and Chris too!!!:cheer:

bramweld

Record Breaker
Sui and Han have more chemistry and sass and style than most ID. Last year I kept calling their SP a SD. The same can be said of this years SP. Those who choreograph for Ilinykh and Zhiganshin should take note of how these two are packaged as they seem to have a similar dynamic :)

But for me these two Sui and Han are the single most important reason to watch 4CC they just have IT in spades:yahoo:

bramweld

Record Breaker
I am so in love with the program. Another absolute winner for Sui/Han. How is it possible that a pairs team has interpreted blues better here than virtually all of the dance teams this season? It's a mystery. But seriously, these two are exceptional. That was a masterful performance.

Yes, yes and yes!!!!:dance3::clapper:

yqs100

On the Ice
go watch them live.. you will be surprised.. they just fly through the programs...

one question for you.. why do you think international and qualified judges gave them two world titles???? because they suck???? i doubt it.. they actually are very impressive to watch... and they deserve their scores....at the same time, as they made a mistake, they were not held up.. so I am wondering yet again, if you are just bashing them just for the sake of it... I/M who i love as well weren't clean either... why do you want them in 6th place? ETC...

D/R has good speed across ice. But their cheorography is not as good as other tier 1 pairs IMO. Especially Meghan's posture and interpretation of music.

They are a good team, however, figure skating is not all about technics.

Yes they have two world titles
2015 they were better than anyone else, it was their time.
2016 they won because they skated clean while others had big mistakes, if all top pairs skated clean, I don't think D/R will win. ( I wouldn't say judge gave them the title, but other pairs gave them the title) agree?

imo if D/R lost the advantage of tech, they will not be able to make final group in the olympics.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Ashley is a unisex name???? :shocked: I always thought it was female only

It used to be a men's name. A main character in Margaret Mitchell's Gone With The Wind, with whom Scarlet was in love, was Ashley Wilkes.

I had 2 guys in my class at school with the name Ashley. (One of whom was my best friend, and who became a father last week).

It is only in the past 10 years that I started to come across girls with that name.

CaroLiza_fan

So it has returned as a boys' name. I've only come across Ashleys as girls myself.

andromache

Record Breaker
Sui/Han = class of the entire pairs field. Oh my how I have missed them. Completely polished, high quality to every element, and a gorgeous program. Can and should be World Champions if clean. European faves T/M just do not have the programs to beat them.

This SP might even be better than S/M's.

Yu/Zhang are also the entire package and could contend for a World podium spot if scored fairly.

JustMe

On the Ice
Re: D/R's 3rd place/scores:
It's been almost 15 years since the introduction of the IJS, I think by now most figure skating fans (regardless of whom we're rooting for) understand that a well constructed program will score well even with a fall (on a fully rotated jump), specially from the reigning 2-time world champions. And I point out that D/R are indeed world champions not to say they were held up, but to point out the obvious: they know how to create programs that can win competitions. This isn't 2003, or 2004, 2005, when it took fans some time to get used to the reality that a fall would NOT automatically knock their favorite (or least favorite) team out of contention. To suggest that D/R aren't deserving of their placement/scores is, in my opinion, a personal bias against them. Now, for the record, D/R are not my favorite team (by any stretch of the imagination), but Pairs skating is in fact my favorite discipline, and I'm able to appreciate and applaud what they can do on the ice...just my 2 cents. Namaste. :2thumbs:
Oh, and while I'm typing might as well say: SUI/HAN :love::love::love:

Last edited:

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
Sui/Han were absolutely amazing! :cheer: Fantastic program/choreography, great musical interpretation, polished skating- it was just a lovely comeback.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Sui/Han = class of the entire pairs field. Oh my how I have missed them. Completely polished, high quality to every element, and a gorgeous program. Can and should be World Champions if clean. European faves T/M just do not have the programs to beat them.

This SP might even be better than S/M's.

Yu/Zhang are also the entire package and could contend for a World podium spot if scored fairly.

hello :), yeah, it's friggin' great feeling to have Wenjing and Cong back in competition, so much elevation, artistry in delivering of programs!

and my dream podium is kind of crystalized now - Sui/Han, Aliona/Bruno and Vanessa and Morgan, I'd flip if this would happen!!!

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
that was actually a stupid Q on my part :slink:
I should have remembered 'Gone with the wind' (Im that ignorant person who neither saw the movie nor read the book:hopelessness: )

It's not really a stupid question.

Ashley's a weird sort of name, in that it was used mainly for men and then spiked oddly highly for women, at least in the US and Canada. In the US, it was the #2 girls name for a decent stretch of time in the mid 80's - mid-90's (and #1 a couple years) but has steadily dropped off in rankings.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
that was actually a stupid Q on my part :slink:
I should have remembered 'Gone with the wind' (Im that ignorant person who neither saw the movie nor read the book:hopelessness: )

Both are dreadful. You are missing nothing. Watch the Maltese Falcon instead. Or The Third Man.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
The NBCSN commentators just called Ji/Leftheris a "young team" and then backtracked with "well, he's not so young. He's 34"

whoops.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
And now watching the Australian team, and my first thought is wow, Harley's legs are long.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Both are dreadful. You are missing nothing. Watch the Maltese Falcon instead. Or The Third Man.

I loved the book :p

I watched my favourite disciplien. And I'm so in love with Sui/Han :love: She is the Empress of my heart and he could throw me anytime, really. :dbana: It was so worth to wait for their comeback! Although I liked last season's SP more.

I'm very happy for Ekaterina & Harley! If they skate clean I think they will jump to top 10 here :) They have the goods. Very suuprised (positevely!) by M-T/M skate. Best I've ever seen them and I really enjoyed them :clap:, though I think they still lack chemistry... But I still enjoyed them more than D/R. Anyone know hy their twist is only base level? I checked 3 times and Marinara Sauce had his arms lowered, and that is one of features for leveles, so if anything it should be at least 3Tw1. I mean, I'd give them another level for clean cacth too, but it looks like it wasn't clean enough for Tech Panel. I think they were robbed by tech panel... My favourite Canadian team, Lubov and Dylan landed SBS jump, yay! Though, I agree with judges wholeheartedly that it was negative GOE worthy. Was Peng so dizzy during skate that she fell during spin? I though for a moment she would faint... I feel sorry for them, after SBS jump, I thought they would score really high, and then that mistake happened... Sad, I really, really like that program.

Oh, and props for Alexa! Great to see her back after her illness :)
Btw. Whoever said only S/H, D/R and I/M are doing 3Lz/FTh. That's not true. Scimeca/Knierim do 3FTh, Cain/Le Duc 3LzTh and Aleksandorvskaya 3FTh. And they're landing them, so D/R is only better (usually) at SBS jumps and SBS spins, nothing else. Reagrding SP technically, of course, since they dumped 3ATh. I'm not gonna comment at PCS. It's all the judges anyway. Stop diminishing other teams :dev2:

Eclair

Medalist
most hilarious till now: Sui and Han getting their hair out of their face simultaneously right after the SP finished. Didn't notice before that Han basically has the same haircut as Sui, just a little shorter and on the other side :rofl: