2017 Worlds Men's SP | Page 100 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Men's SP

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You're right, there does seem to be a divide between the judges and eastern Europe. Also Alexei Bychenko? Not really Europe.

- - - Updated - - -

Hanyu was made to skate second. Javier won't have that problem

I don't think skating second (by luck not because he was "made to") caused him to skate poorly.

jaylee

Medalist
Yuzuru's short program is amazing. It's a pity about the combo, but the performance overall was very good. I realize that the 4Lo is harder than the 4S, hence why he attempts it first--but there's a reason that most skaters attempt their combo first in the short program. So that if there is anything wrong with the first jump, they have a second attempt to complete a combo.

Javier's short program is well-choreographed, but I really wish he had brought something different to Worlds. Great jumps, great performance. Somewhat shaky first spin and he also slipped up during a turn.

slider11

Medalist
Everything is so close...even though I'm not a huge fan of Javier's skating and think he is more show than skating, he did have a wonderful performance today and deserved to be in first. Shoma, Patrick, and Boyang were also excellent, Patrick probably should have the highest PCS of the night--simply stunning. Too bad for Yuzuru and Nathan, though they are in striking distance. Jason got the highest score EVER for a program without a quad, not sure what to make of that...he definitely benefited from skating later.

How INCREDIBLE that Jason received the highest score ever without a quad. That is a testimony to his skill and artistry.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If everyone skates cleanly in the LP the medals will probably end up as:

Gold- Fernandez
Silver- Hanyu (he would pass Uno and Chan at his current deficit skating cleanly IMO, even if they also do, and he would likely win the LP over Fernandez too but never make up the current deficit)
Bronze- Uno
4th- Chan
5th- Chen (he might beat Uno and Chan in the LP but never by enough)

Nathan has a big ( >15 points) advantage in base value so he could definitely catch Uno and Chan.

Bcash

Final Flight
I could not agree more to the fact that small federation have a big negative influence in scores (GOE and PCS). I'll give some examples, Misha Ge (Uzbekistan), Denis 10 (he, like Javi, had to climb a lot...). Gorgeus skaters from Latvia, Philippines, Malaysia...some struggle to qualify to LP, and not because they have a bad skate.
I love Jason Brown, but had he represented Byrbistan (I don't want to pick up a real country) he wouldn't score so high...

Yeah the quality of pure skating from some of the guys in the first few groups amazes me. Really not any less enjoyable than the likes of Chan and Brown.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I could not agree more to the fact that small federation have a big negative influence in scores (GOE and PCS). I'll give some examples, Misha Ge (Uzbekistan), Denis 10 (he, like Javi, had to climb a lot...). Gorgeus skaters from Latvia, Philippines, Malaysia...some struggle to qualify to LP, and not because they have a bad skate.
I love Jason Brown, but had he represented Byrbistan (I don't want to pick up a real country) he wouldn't score so high...

Sorry, I must disagree.

It's all over these boards how much I love Deniss and Misha. And also how much I like Jason.

Jason deserves every single point he gets in PCS and GOE. Nobody does it better. Deniss and Misha may be "small-fed" undermarked, but Jason is NOT overmarked.

And my pre-Worlds "non podium" dream team: Jason, Deniss, Misha and even Julian:clap: all going to the free!

jkun

Final Flight
Shoma had a beautiful short program. I loved it very much. Not sure how Javi has managed such high skating skill score or high GOE on his jumps. I don't think he fulfills enough bullet points to get +3s. His jumps are good and all, but usually +3 jumps tend to have good, unique transitions in and out of jumps and he has neither. That being said, he should probably be the leader, just not 5 points ahead of Shoma. Although I guess 5 points in men's skating is next to nothing.

jkun

Final Flight
If Nathan lands all his 6-quads, he might out BV quite a lot of people's advantages, regardless of PCS. But if Javi goes even relatively clean, he's got this in the bag. Unless he does another European. But even then....

What?? Nathan is doing six now? I know he is repeating the toe, what other one is he repeating?

Nika09

On the Ice
Shoma had a late check and hence a bit of a swing on his landing (kinda habit from him). But I think Hanyu's 3A definitely should've been +3 across the board. Javi's 3A landing was not as perfect as Hanyu's tbh.

Still there're unfairy huge difference between Shoma's and Javis GOE though. I don't even talk about quality of Yuzuru's 3A.
And this -1 deduction from nowhere. And how is that possible that he's is just 1 point ahead of Nathan with his shaky landings, lack of presentation and who has just fell on his face. Can't even imagine Hanyu's psychological condition right now.

I think it's a great program and could be kept for him to skate to its full potential, but it's a bit too similar in tone and mood to his 2014 Olympic SP.

Yep but it's catchy, so much charisma and could work. Anyway I hope the new season will be way better for him.
And for everyones sake just take this 4S+3T away from his programs!!

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
Nathan has a big ( >15 points) advantage in base value so he could definitely catch Uno and Chan.

15 point base value edge on whom? Chan maybe. No way in hell he has even close to that on Uno, especialy since Uno added a 4th quad didnt he. No he will never catch 7 points up on Uno if Uno goes clean, not a chance. Yes he might catch and pass Chan if both go clean with his huge base value edge.

Now I realize the proposed scenario (everyone going clean) will never happen, the only reason I mention it is more a scenario they make similar number of mistakes. Nathan would need both Uno and Hanyu to make more mistakes than he makes to beat either one considering how far ahead Uno is now, and considering clean or with the same mistakes Hanyu for sure beats Chen.

Bcash

Final Flight
BTW, I think I saw Shen Xue at rinkside after Boyang Jin's skate. Just for a second she was in the camera frame.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Culturally, especially with respect to figure skating culture.

For that matter, is Russia really in Europe?

Well he competes at Euros, so I guess you are right. And yes, culturally, especially with respect to figure skating Russia is in Europe.

jkun

Final Flight
He's actually repeating his 4Lz and 4F and doing his 4S and 4T in the back half.

....you're kidding. That being said, his Lz/F seem much more stable than his 4S and maybe even his 4T...

Does anyone have his updated program lay out? Only problem for me that I foresee is that Lz and F take quite a long time to set up and is telegraphed into. a 4S and a 4T you can disguise and incorporate better. I fear his program will be even more filled with empty space than usual.

jkun

Final Flight
Still there're unfairy huge difference between Shoma's and Javis GOE though. I don't even talk about quality of Yuzuru's 3A.
And this -1 deduction from nowhere. And how is that possible that he's is just 1 point ahead of Nathan with his shaky landings, lack of presentation and who has just fell on his face. Can't even imagine Hanyu's psychological condition right now.

Yep but it's catchy, so much charisma and could work. Anyway I hope the new season will be way better for him.
And for everyones sake just take this 4S+3T away from his programs!!

I must be the only one that really doesn't really like or get this season's SP. I think 2014s was much better. Likewise, I think Chopin was much better too. This season's is a little too much for me.. from the costume to the incorporation of a lot of voice lines.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Sorry, I must disagree.

It's all over these boards how much I love Deniss and Misha. And also how much I like Jason.

Jason deserves every single point he gets in PCS and GOE. Nobody does it better. Deniss and Misha may be "small-fed" undermarked, but Jason is NOT overmarked.

And my pre-Worlds "non podium" dream team: Jason, Deniss, Misha and even Julian:clap: all going to the free!

I don't even think Jason was overmarked. Just that gorgeous skaters from small federations, often if not always, get underscored.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Why does Hanyu keep going for 4S+3T instead of 4T+3T? It makes no sense. He's the best skater out there and just throws points away by trying an element he isn't as good with.

Fernandez was great but VERY overscored. He has the weakest spins of all the guys out there (and didn't even get punished for traveling like crazy on his flying spin) and he tripped on a basic crossover, which needs to be a deduction on his skating skills mark for sure. One of the judges gave him a +3 GOE for his combo spin, which is incomprehensibly stupid. His jump combo, axel, and footwork sequence do not deserve +3 and he got them across the board pretty much. I do really love his footwork sequence choreographically but the quality of his actual bladework is not +3 level.

Nathan Chen, still overscored, but I guess it could be worse. He isn't getting enough of a deduction on his Quad Flip for lack of preceding footwork and his PCS are too high. He somehow got his highest component on interpretation, which is easily his weakest component! Nonsensical.

Boyang Jin was held down on PCS for no reason. His skating skills are very good and he gave a lively, engaging performance. His movements are definitely not the most refined and stretched out, but he did a very good job. His PCS should have been above Nathan's.

Deniss Vasiljevs was great. He was of course underscored since he isn't a big-name skater and doesn't have a quad, but that was one of the best performances here.

Shoma Uno was the best here for me. He's an all-around excellent skater and gave the most refined performance of all, showing better skating skills and spins than Fernandez.

Very good competition!