2018-19 Grand Prix Final Free Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Grand Prix Final Free Dance

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I'm just going to watch Piper and Paul's stellar FD that should've been here (and win gold, if the world was just) and ruminate on how I know nothing about ID.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, people here may not love H/D's FD, but the judges seemed fully on board here.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Beaufhhh
My friend and I are here in the arena, and we hated that result.
Skate of the night was S/B. There's no question. Z/G were really good also. Much better live.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I'm just going to watch Piper and Paul's stellar FD that should've been here (and win gold, if the world was just) and ruminate on how I know nothing about ID.

Good idea, apart from LLL, I really need to cleanse my palate...

s_parks

Record Breaker
Well, people here may not love H/D's FD, but the judges seemed fully on board here.

Yep, not the best material, won't challenge P/C, but they (deservedly) cemented there status here. They needed a solid win in absence of the French and they did.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Beaufhhh
My friend and I are here in the arena, and we hated that result.
Skate of the night was S/B. There's no question. Z/G were really good also. Much better live.

I noticed how much the crowd was into S/B. Everything deflated after that.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE
Music: "Introduction to Romeo" (Romeo and Juliet soundtrack) by Craig Armstrong; "Kissing You" (Instrumental) (Romeo and Juliet soundtrack) by Craig Armstrong; "Kissing You" (Romeo and Juliet soundtrack) performed by Desree
Choreography by: Marie-France Dubreuil, P. Lauzon, G. Cournoyer
Costumes: Grey dress with beading and nice cap sleeves for her; basic black for him

Program Layout:

Voiceover of We're in Verona. You'd never know it was R&J from the costumes. Then into
Stationary Lift - with cartwheel entry. Level 4, 1.43. It was a bit wobbly in places
Choreo Char Step Seq - I found this almost nonexistant but 3.04 GOE. I guess the judges didn't
Curve Lift Level 4, 2.96. Much improved. Much.
Tempo change
Dance Spin with lunge exit. Level 2, 1.61 goe. Yes, the positions are a bit unclear and the transitions are bumpy. It looks new.
Diag Step Seq - Level 3, 3.71 goe
Twizzles - level 4 for both, 2.69. Nicely done
Choreo Twizzles 3.32 goe
NT Step Seq - Level 3 for both, 2.80 goe
Choreo Dance Lift - best thing in the program for me. 2.91 goe
And into the Sudden Death of Juliet Pose. Oy veh.

Let's just say that it was highly unlikely they'd strike gold two years in a row with their FD. But this is really a step down, and they've been trying to gild the turd, so to speak, all season long. They have SIGNIFICANTLY reworked it since SC; it is pretty much a brand new dance. Thankfully they reduced Kissing You to a reasonable soundbyte. But adding some angular arm movements to step sequences here and there doth not make this innovative or a "contemporary take on R&J."

They do, however, have fantastic skating skills. I can't see them being challenged for the silver at Worlds, though S/K may disagree with me there. ;) The dogfight will be for bronze.

Score: 124.82 and another SB

madison

Record Breaker
Yep, not the best material, won't challenge P/C, but they (deservedly) cemented there status here. They needed a solid win in absence of the French and they did.

I wonder how Weaver and Poje and Chock and Bates will do later in the season... and if they can challenge H/D or even P/C.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I actually probably liked S/B FD the most to be honest. And H/D's the least. Not that they didn't deserve to win. But I can think that something deserves to win and still really dislike it. I'm flexible that way.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

I feel like 'cementing the status (quo)' is the key thing there and was in their minds while picking material for the season I feel. It is rather standing in one place set by judges than dynamic progress above everything they have done. It is magical what a bit of reputation does.,never ceases to amaze me.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I actually probably liked S/B FD the most to be honest. And H/D's the least. Not that they didn't deserve to win. But I can think that something deserves to win and still really dislike it. I'm flexible that way.

I don’t even “really dislike” their FD so much as that I see ghosts of better programmes when I hear the music.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I wonder how Weaver and Poje and Chock and Bates will do later in the season... and if they can challenge H/D or even P/C.

No way either one challenges P/C. As for H/D, I doubt C/B can personally since they are obviously behind schedule due to the injury and also won't have the mileage on their programs. And I love W/P, but I do think H/D are stronger technical skaters so that will be hard as well.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Btw, I'm extra grouchy right now because I'm sick and tired. There has been a lot of skating this weekend and I think I'm drained. I just have to get through Pairs (my favourite) and then this marathon can end and I can shower and go to bed.

I know.. TMI but I get like that when I'm tired and sick.

madison

Record Breaker

S/B have a great program, but they are not as strong (or she in particular) as the others when it comes to SS.
I am happy that the judges took this into consideration when they scored the teams. I didn t thought they will do so before this competition.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

Nothing wrong in acknowledgement of someone deserving the win based on execution, but contesting its creation quality and putting it into perspective of their own trajectory and other teams. Step/Buk FD is a constant flash of oversexualized Blues, but it is doing its trick, what it was designed for. Comparing it to Hub/Donohue's FD, it at least has visible purpose and flavour to it while this RJ program is really non-defined and greyish like Madison's dress.