2018 Europeans Ladies SP | Page 53 | Golden Skate

2018 Europeans Ladies SP

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Carolina is robbed today.
Carolina's landings (besides gorgeous 2A) were scratchy and lacking in fluidity. If she had corrected those errors, then maybe she should be first. Personally, I think Alina should have a bigger lead. She was magnificent.

Aquinox1

Rinkside
You said you did not see the people who thinks Caro was better than Medvedeva: I will invite you ti visit twitter so you can see the furious people because this injustice happens

what does being american have to do with whether you hate Caro or don't? I don't really see your point.

da96103

Record Breaker
The first time Zhenya lost SP since the dinosaurs went extinct?

Is Zhenya the Patrick to Zagitova's Yuzu of 2014 Olympics?

alvina9894

Final Flight
Well the Russians are ticking ALL of the technical boxes of the system
And they're also backing it up with pretty damn good skating

But i think she could've been second and closer to Zagitova, Yup

Lol good skating. You have pretty low standards.

Purv

Match Penalty
Carolina's expression is genuine, profound and mature. All her movements were smoothly done and connected. Her skating is also soft, pure and clean. She should lead in the category of skating skills, performance and interpretation by a distance. No one in this field has the level of her skating and maturity.

Evgenia surely comes back strong, her jumps were nicely done. But her skating is not on the same level of Carolina. Just compare the step sequence and you'll see Evgenia is not as smooth and agile as Carolina, which makes the fact that she scored only 0.10 less than Carolina on Step sequence quite ridiculous. The interpretation is also absurd with the weird voice and the heartbeat. It is obvious that this interpretation she presented is not what she truly feels.

Alina performs technically the best today and good for her for producing her first clean SP this season. But the program to me is rushed and she looks uncomfortable with this program. She looks reluctant and tense, you can see it on her face. The music also went over the top and overwhelmed her that she does not seem to be able to catch up with the music emotionally.

Exactly, Carolina was superior to Evgenia. I just cant look at stepseq made by Medviedeva after Carolinas skating. She is stiff, no grace, no personality, those fake faces..She is not feeling, she is acting

SimplyLex

On the Ice
They seriously need to come up with how to prevent the backloading. Like, it gets the bonus but only if you put no more than 2/3 of your jumps in the second half. Or something.

Carolina should be 2nd. She was phenomenal, in a different league artistry wise. Zhenya's PCS is a joke.

Kutien

Final Flight
1Alina ZAGITOVA RUS80.271video Q
2Evgenia MEDVEDEVA RUS78.572video Q
3Carolina KOSTNER ITA78.303video Q
4Maria SOTSKOVA RUS68.704video Q
5Nicole RAJICOVA SVK61.015video Q
6Anita OSTLUND SWE56.046video Q
7Laurine LECAVELIER FRA55.367video Q
8Loena HENDRICKX BEL55.138video Q
9Alexia PAGANINI SUI54.959video Q
10Mae Berenice MEITE FRA54.1410video Q
11Emmi PELTONEN FIN52.6811video Q
12Eliska BREZINOVA CZE52.0612video Q
13Anna KHNYCHENKOVA UKR51.8413video Q
14Viveca LINDFORS FIN51.6214video Q
15Ivett TOTH HUN50.7015video Q
16Lea Johanna DASTICH GER49.8916video Q
17Anne Line GJERSEM NOR48.7017video Q
18Nicole SCHOTT GER48.3718video Q
19Micol CRISTINI ITA48.2219video Q
20Dasa GRM SLO47.4020video Q
21Elzbieta KROPA LTU46.0621video Q
22Silvia HUGEC SVK45.9822video Q
23Giada RUSSO ITA45.8123video Q
24Pernille SORENSEN DEN45.7624video Q
25Kristina SHKULETA-GROMOVA EST45.7425video
26Kyarha VAN TIEL NED45.2826video
27Natasha MCKAY GBR45.1227video
28Fruzsina MEDGYESI HUN44.7128video
29Julia SAUTER ROU44.5729video
30Natalie KLOTZ AUT43.5330video
31Matilda ALGOTSSON SWE43.2831video
32Sila SAYGI TUR43.0532video
33Valentina MATOS ESP39.6633video
34Elzbieta GABRYSZAK POL38.0034video
35Kim CHEREMSKY AZE37.6135video
36Diana NIKITINA LAT36.7136video
37Antonina DUBININA SRB36.6937video
38Aimee BUCHANAN ISR33.8738video
39Presiyana DIMITROVA BUL24.7639video

Kittosuni

Medalist
Skater of the night: Zagitova. Finally a clean skate! and her costume looks great when zoomed in.

Overscored in PCS: Zagitova. I agree that she should win but her PCS is tad high. Should be around 35 only not 36. Score should be around 79.

Overscored Elements: 1. Kostner's spins. No way she deserved high GOEs with those and its debetable level 4s.

Overscored Jump: Medvedeva 2A. should be -1 atleast.

Shockingly fairly scored: Sotskova. I was afraid they will give her 35 PCS but they only gave her 33. TES was ok.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Laurine has the best PCS after Caro and the Russians. They really should do something to fix her jumps.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Nobody's fake. Every skater has a different style. Carolina has those broad, fast skating that is beautiful to watch. Evgenia and Alina is of the school of difficult transitions in and out of transitions.

Personally, I liked Carolina's skate the best, but I certainly understand why Alina and Evgenia are ahead (TES/backloading).

The key is to understand what is the reason of those Ladies getting scores like that, not exactly liking/preferring the reason itself. And not to twist personal prejudices, individual preferences into 'objective' statements. For me, all top 3 skaters there showed something for almost everyone and all deserve respect for their respective performances - just not all of them are for everybody's liking, which is quite hard to comprehend for some. Considering someone as e.g. 'fake' or not is for me a personal notion, impression which should never be taken as an absolute.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Zhenya should've been 3rd... she should have 37 instead 38, but she still behind Kostner so its not that bad. Hoping clean FP especially for Kostner... atleast 6 triple FP im already happy with 3F+3T and 3Lz!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

What's so much better about Carolina than Zhenya? . ..
I didn't see Masha. Why the low score? A pop? Fall?

Did you even watch any of them today?

Zhenya did an amazing SP for someone just back from a broken foot, but the botched 2A near the program's end broke the spell, leaving the viewer with a last impression less than beautiful.

As to Masha's performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xiu3Hjbkng

37 Maria SOTSKOVA (RUS)

Music: Swan Lake by Petr I. Tchaikovski

Pink dress with silver detailing+necklace

3Lz - scratchy, maybe <
CCoSp4
3F+3T
2A
FCSp3
StSq3
LSp4

Solid, but not perfect, skate. Should go in 2nd for now

SP: 35.13+33.57 = 68.70, 2/36

Masha had a hard, snow-throwing landing on her Lutz in her planned 3Lz3T and had to put the 3T on the 3F later in the program. Plus the f/w into the planned Lutz combo is minimal, so the GOE on that skill could be a bit more depressed, because now the actual element is a triple out of f/w.

Plus I do not feel Swan Lake was a good match for her skating. She skated like someone who resents taking ballet lessons today. And the version of one arm over the head she does looks more folk dance than ballet to me.

It did not help that she skated after an inspired Carolina, who looked hugely better than she did earlier in the season, and landed a nice 3F3T. Hence a PCS hit for Masha vs. the top 3.

Last edited:

ejnsofi

Final Flight
Exactly, Carolina was superior to Evgenia. I just cant look at stepseq made by Medviedeva after Carolinas skating. She is stiff, no grace, no personality, those fake faces..She is not feeling, she is acting

Yes we get it. You love Caro, hate Zhenya, no need to repeat yourself. And I love how you know all the skaters personally to know who is fake and who isn't

Purv

Match Penalty
Yes we get it. You love Caro, hate Zhenya, no need to repeat yourself. And I love how you know all the skaters personally to know who is fake and who isn't

I DONT love Caro, and I DONT hate zhenia , I hate SCORING

leafygreens

Final Flight
Alina is like a little razor blade, slicing and dicing across the ice. Absolutely clean as expected.

Evgenia looked scared like she knew she could be beaten. Silly error on the 2A. She has lost the consistency reputation. Always places too high IMO.

I prefer watching Caro over all others. A true artist and ballerina on ice. I would love to see her place 2nd. She should have designed her program with all jumps at the end to be a contender for #1.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The key is to understand what is the reason of those Ladies getting scores like that, not exactly liking/preferring the reason itself. And not to twist personal prejudices, individual preferences into 'objective' statements. For me, all top 3 skaters there showed something for almost everyone and all deserve respect for their respective performances - just not all of them are for everybody's liking, which is quite hard to comprehend for some. Considering someone as e.g. 'fake' or not is for me a personal notion, impression which should never be taken as an absolute.

Yep totally agree. My husband told me that if you try to understand what you might be seeing without trying to add your personal narrative to it, it's a lot easier to appreciate skaters, even ones that you don't care for.

Carolina, if nothing else, shows that you can still show a high level of excellence even at 30. She's not that much younger than me, which is cool!

Last edited: