2018 Europeans Pairs FS | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2018 Europeans Pairs FS

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Normally. Judges love them and this program apparently.

It has nothing to do with loving them and this program. Those are two different jumping passes. He did 3T+2T, she did 3T+3T.

Different number of rotations (on a SBS jump) is a mandatory deduction of -2 for unequal number of revolutions by both partners. So +2 is impossible.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think the judges were hoping after Sochi that S/K would be the next great Russian pair and it really looked they would be. They have so many wonderful qualities and represent much of pair skating purists love.

Nika09

On the Ice
Actually instead of complaints, we should be grateful to T/M for all those shaky elements and obvious mistakes or it's gonna be WorldRecord.
And I was just sure J/C won't get that medal. They wouldn't get it even if they skate purely clean program of their lifes. We've seen it before we know how it's all happens. At least they did some mistakes so people could say "they were not clean".
And this familiar croud...just shame on you guys.

slider11

Medalist
I don't fault the judging with J/C. There were many errors. But I do question Zabiiako and Enbert's PCs as being too high. But "Candy Man" was the skate of the night and good for Evgenia and Vladamir. Don't hate me for counting the days until "Candy Man" is put back in the jar - and left there. If Ksenia and Fedor can nail the technical elements of their FS at the Olympics, they may be spoiler and take it all!

anyanka

Record Breaker
OK guys let's get real here. T/M deserved the win. I hate the Candyman program but the elements were well executed today. Maybe not 151-level, but they'd still have won regardless. S/K - and I hate to say this because Ksenia's my favourite Russian pairs lady - were gifted a medal today. Z/E, call them snoozy or forgettable, skated ably and well. The French ran out of speed and steam at the end and did make errors. The second through fourth place finishers were very, very close, and my heart broke for J/C.

So the order of finish should have been: 1) T/M, 2/3 to either of Z/E or J/C, and S/K in 4th.

Congrats to the winners, though!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
My guess would be that if the judges could prepick the podium for Korea it would be some combo of S/H, S/M and S/K. If S/K can manage a clean skate in Korea I think they will be on the podium.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Can you say politicking?
If T/M can get 1.90 in GOE for a 2ft throw, why do J/C get 0?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I think the judges were hoping after Sochi that S/K would be the next great Russian pair and it really looked they would be. They have so many wonderful qualities and represent much of pair skating purists love.

Not only purists. My dad watched with me and he liked S/K the most, even with mistakes and he doesn't really watch skating anymore... he thought they were beautiful and we do't always have same aesthetics. They really do have that something,though I do understand people being mad at the scores. There wasn't much fair judging.

slider11

Medalist
Okay... lets not rag on the audience. It's hardly the first time an audience has favoured their own skaters. They paid for their tickets and they wanted to see their teams do well. Lets not take a dump on them for it.

Sorry, but Russia wins the prize for the rudest crowds. Olympics and Worlds have been held in many countries but no where else do you hear "Ru-ssi -a" chanted before another country skates or the lack of applause if another country's skater skates well. Canada, imo, has the most knowledgable and courteous audiences.

beki

Medalist
I'm surprised it's been so difficult to find good vehicles for T/M. I thought her personality came across well during her stint as Russian team leader for WTT last year. Sweet and gentle, but upbeat and funny too. Their programs have been bland and/or cringey, but I don't think that's who they are as people. I would challenge them to take more ownership of their skating, and assume more of a role in selecting their material. They still skate like exemplary students without a voice of their own.

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
Mr. Rob Rosenbluth, a pairs referee from USA, right now must find Vanessa & Morgan and apologize for what that (I can't call them Judges...and dont wanna be banned here for other words that start with J) have done...

By the way... In the free skate pairs panel there were five judges from Eastern Europe.. just like it was on 2014 Olympics ladies free skate. Сoincidence? Or proven method?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Not only purists. My dad watched with me and he liked S/K the most, even with mistakes and he doesn't really watch skating anymore... he thought they were beautiful and we do't always have same aesthetics. They really do have that something,though I do understand people being mad at the scores. There wasn't much fair judging.

My favourite skate of the night were the Austrian pair to be honest.
I like S/K but I am a S/H fan and I enjoy their skating so much. The only ones I'm going to be happy to see come first other than S/H is S/M because I want Alionja to get her gold.
S/K do have that certain something. I don't know what it is. You can't really measure charisma.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes, congratulations to T/M... that was a very solid FS. It's kitschy as heck, but they were easily the best today. They should enjoy that score because they're not getting close to that outside of Russia for a skate like that.

And after today (or Sochi, or pretty much every Russian competition), I'd be surprised if J/C - or any non-Russian pairs team - would be excited to compete in Russia ever again.

Congrats Russia, you bumped a bronze to silver and a 4th to bronze, and killed the French team's momentum. And you proved that your level of classiness since Sochi hasn't really changed.

Although maybe they are getting better -- after all, they did stick around to watch Lecavelier skate! :sarcasm:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Sorry, but Russia wins the prize for the rudest crowds. Olympics and Worlds have been held in many countries but no where else do you hear "Ru-ssi -a" chanted before another country skates or the lack of applause if another country's skater skates well. Canada, imo, has the most knowledgable and courteous audiences.

Canada vs Russia: who is better? arguments never end well on the board.

In the end this crowd was quite bias but in the end I think they were just excited.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Also: how can Stolbova fall in both programs and then S/K end up with the silver?
When J/C were definitely better? and Z/E were probably better as well...

- - - Updated - - -

And what do you thing about GOE+ for S/K's last throw? And about GOE+'s for Z/E's shaky lifts?

I hadn't looked at that, but I don't like it after looking now.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Tarasova/Morozov

-overscored in throws
-highly overscored in composition and interpretation like the whole season.

Stolbova/Klimov
-a hard fall with UR, one major jump mistake, bad twist level 1 and a hand down!
-others would call this a rough skate. This pair still gets 74 in PCS.
-the lifts were overscored, There is nothing special with them. Not worth a +3.

Zabiiako/Enbert
-major mistake at the jump and a little mistake at the other jump
-most boring program of the evening, should not get more PCS than the Italians

James/Cipres
- big mistake the combo and some little issues with two lifts and the spin.
-no major break in the terrific program and no fall
-punished unbelieveable harshly. Got negative on elements other would get sightly positive.
-PCS underscored compared to the leaders
-lost a 5 point lead!

Marchei/Hotarek
-underscored in PCS in SP and FP

Conclusion. Oh Aljona. You have made the right decision to stay at home. It will be more fair at the Olympics because the Canadian and the Chinese judge will not support this Russian overscoring.