2018 Finlandia Trophy Pairs Short Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018 Finlandia Trophy Pairs Short Program

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Their costumes looked a lot like S/M's La terre vue du ciel costumes, but since I love those costumes I love this one as well :laugh:

LadyB

Record Breaker
I like the Austrian couple a lot. They are easy and enjoyable to watch.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was talking about Alexandrovskaya/Winsor.

They were at the US Classic, Harley said the altitude did a real number on them, so it's true they skated a lot better here. :) Still I feel that score is low.

Hey! It's the Beatles coach!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well done, Ziegler and Kiefer. I like this pair very much

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
They were at the US Classic, Harley said the altitude did a real number on them, so it's true they skated a lot better here. :) Still I feel that score is low.

Oh right :hslap: I'm blaming lack of sleep for that mistake, thanks.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
The Austrians were nice, with gentle music and an easy flow.

Now I'll be off to calm down my nerves, I can't believe Junhwan is skating first :drama:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh right :hslap: I'm blaming lack of sleep for that mistake, thanks.

That's OK!

If you're high up, you can blame altitude! ;)

The Austrians are in 5th just above the Australians! So close!

I'm not sure I'll be able to watch the free live tomorrow, but good luck to T/M and go Katia and Harley! Reach for that podium!

LadyB

Record Breaker
I won't be able to watch anything tomorrow, I'm visiting friends abroad. But I try and catch up as much as I can. Have fun!

Kittosuni

Medalist
B/K looks like mini TM but with better connection and performance. Scoring wise their ceiling is pretty high compared to the other pairs. Watch out for this pair.

gold12345

Medalist
A couple random +4s and +5s scattered on these scoresheets. Why are these GOE being rewarded unless an element is really of top quality. One judge gave Alexandrovskaya/Winsor +4 on the twist, same as Tarasova/Morozov. A/W's twist is fine, but nobody can reasonably claim their twists are similar.

Those were just practice outfits for Tarasova/Morozov, I've seen them before.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Not a fan of T/M short although maybe they will get more comfortable in it later in the season and it may grow on me :) that said, I couldn't stand last season's candyman horror because Evgenia and Vlad have pure star quality - give them the right programs and they will shine like diamonds!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I can't believe I actually zoned out when the pairs was at a perfect time. What the heck, self.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Out of I managed to re-watch at work:

- I really, really love Evgenia and Vladimir as a team, but this program just does them disservice again, I just can't help my visual discomfort watching their great lines, statuesque presence, skills, speed getting wasted and flattened by some 'cool music', looking like an accidental choice. This aesthetic full od dynamism, quirk, humour, energy requires specific personality skills, a performer's skill to make it move, impactful as competitive program - Evgenia at least tries from my impression to look engaged and to pay attention to performance as a whole instead to elements' execution, Vladimir looks sad, stiff and not happy, I'm sorry. They sure can execute that program flawlessly and get all the points available, but they probably cannot perform this program, to this song to its fullest capability: it needs more live, humour, joke into it, maybe both in similar tuxedo-styled costumes with some colour, more fun in transitioning movement (as much as it can be in pairs). Throwing a 'cool' song with lyrics does not automatically make them 'cooler', more hip and youthful. My take - I'd rather match their very promising lyrical FS with something more dynamic than that, but still 'classic' in appearance (maybe a Bond song, but an older one, 'Diamonds Are Forever'? To show off their lines, technique, striking appearance). It is what it is, I do hope they will make it work somehow, upping the fun in them foremost, having more flow in the performance.

- Boikova/Kozlovskii are looking proper senior already, I like this jazzy version of 'Dark eyes', their performance abilities that felt much more natural and engaging than in Evgenia/Vladimir's SP: it showed that they feel comfortable with the program, emoting outside of elements, making a visual. Strong and convincing elements, nice flow and speed, just more mileage, polish needed and confidence. A very promising start!

- Kirsten/Michael...To be honest I do not like this sappy SP that much, it is pleasant, but nothing extraordinary in that department. It's a very non-descript program that falls forgettable and a little flat in appearance for me - and I do not feel that squeaky clean would make it that much better. They just strike me as more dynamic team, I'd love to see them in 'Amelie' or 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' music...

- the program I liked the most was Ziegler/Kiefer's - spacious, airy, but strong and effective. I am really impressed by their progress as a team, their style, appearance, more detail put in their programs - I like in that SP that this contemporary aesthetic is used and the choreography nicely reflects the song, with minimal 'afterthought' effect between elements. It looks laboured at places, but the concept suits them very much and has potential.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Just caught up on Tarasova/Morozov's new SP. It's definitely a lot better than Candyman/Nasty Boy. And better than their first SP this season too I'd say. And having the fun program as the SP is the right choice for them. You need to be a really strong performer to carry that for a whole FS. I think her dress is cute actually. I still feel like this isn't the best style for them - apart from classical, I really liked the style of their Ordinary People ex for them. And this style doesn't take advantage of their lines at all, which are one of their big strengths. But he didn't look completely uncomfortable this time, so it'll work fine. I think there are other people who could perform this music/program better than them. But still, good job putting together something better than the last SP since test skates. If they insist on this type of style, this is the best version they've done.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Not quite the performance I was hoping for from T/M. The programme is new so I don’t think we should rush to judgement, they need more time with it. The twist and sbs were top notch.

I was very impressed with B/K. There was real confidence and belief in their performance and great to see Moskvina in the K&C. Hopefully they can deliver a strong free, hopefully they could push through the 200 barrier. I wasn’t particularly impressed with MT/M, the SP doesn’t suit them, it seemed forced. As Canadian number 1’s they will have a lot of push behind this season, I see them moving up the ranks. I thought P/K were way undermarked on PCS, I would have them in 3rd.

I also enjoyed the Austrians, Australians and Spanish Pairs.