2018 Four Continents Mens FS | Page 61 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Mens FS

lavender

Record Breaker
I have to give Boyang credit for working on his non-jump skills. He has improved leaps and bounds in his spin and steps. He was one of three people to get all level 4 spin and steps -- along with June Hyeong Lee and Jason Brown. What exclusive company!

ITA..I noticed the difference this season when he last skated in the same comp as Nathan...can't remember when. When he first came on the scene I had a hard time watching a full program of his. All I saw were jumps and legs.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
ITA..I noticed the difference this season when he last skated in the same comp as Nathan...can't remember when. When he first came on the scene I had a hard time watching a full program of his. All I saw were jumps and legs.

I never thought Boyang was quite as bad as people were making out. I've got a pretty big soft spot for him, probably because he's a lot like Max: the talented jumper with the heart of an artist who was early on labelled as "just a jumper" and now has to fight tooth and nail every season to convince people to take him seriously, all the while working his tail off to improve.

It's the next morning and I still have a smile on my face from Max's skate.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Jin and Uno are ready for a medal but... AWESOME JASON IS AWESOME !!! :sad21: :sad4::points:

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
So happy for Boyang. What a great comeback. I only saw the last group, but this men's competition was much better than expected and only serves to make the Olympic men's competition even more exciting than it already is. I'm already sad for those three guys who will place 4th, 5th and 6th.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So Jason and Max skating back to back did kill me - but in the best way possible. :laugh:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Against my better judgement I stayed up until about 3:30AMET watching the streams on Youtube (thank goodness there were more than one, since one died right in the beginning of Max's amazing skate), but it was worth it.

I'm so proud of the US men all skating to their potential (definitely had some Worlds 2016 flashbacks during Grant's "Les Mis" FS) and for Jason getting on the podium after tanking at Nationals. I'm glad he went back to the "Scent of Love" for this competition - that program fits him like a glove with all of the beautiful spirals and positions. And if Max and Grant are retiring, better to go out with a bang than a whimper.

Elladj was awesome - his skate was much more like an exhibition but also glad his last competitive skate was a good one. Also Misha was excellent, too, but we'll see him again at the Olympics. It's so nice to watch him skate and know he'll land all of his jumps clean (except for that second 3A). I heard Kevin was also amazing, he's never been my fave, but respect to him!

As for the showdown between Boyang and Shoma - that was some major drama. Boyang looks the best I've ever seen him and he was rewarded with the gold medal. Shoma needs to skate clean and can't have a few mistakes but his performance was also very good. Good Olympic preview for those guys.

There were quite a few disappointing skates as well, especially Brendan after his strong start. Denis Ten was painful to watch - I almost wish he had sat this one out and rested his ankle. I always imagine what Denis could do if he wasn't consistently dealing with injuries.

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I agree. I would have loved to see Denis Ten skating this free skate in best shape. It would have been magnificent. I hope he keeps the program and can show this one day.

slider11

Medalist
This was a triumph for Max Aaron. Clean and beautifully presented.

Yes! Perhaps his last competitive skate. He is a minimalist in his presentation but I thought he captured the brooding strength of the Phantom AND nailed his jumps! Bravo Max!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes! Perhaps his last competitive skate. He is a minimalist in his presentation but I thought he captured the brooding strength of the Phantom AND nailed his jumps! Bravo Max!

Well, maybe not. After the FS he said he hasn't decided if he will quit or not. Maybe we can get another year or two out of him before he goes off to become a rich financial person.

eriecold

On the Ice
Thx for the info! I automatically assumed the rinks would be in Mexico City or maybe Guadalajara or Puebla. Are those guesses correct?...Donovan was a joy to watch. He looked like he was so happy to be there! A bunch of us really enjoyed him.

Mexico City has quite a few, so do Guadalajara and Monterrey. Donovan is from GDL but his rink closed, his coach was offered a job in León (my hometown) and rather than switching coaches and going to a different rink, he moved to León with his coach. Most big cities have one or maybe 2 (Puebla, León, Toluca, etc)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I kinda get why they didn't at first, it would've been the 3rd season with that program, though technically he only had it for a few competitions the first year. But yes, hindsight!

Question for you -- didn't Jason debut Piano at Skate America Milwaukee 2015, then he was injured and was out for the rest of the season? So he sorta kinda only used that program for one year, instead of two. (I'm still thinking about how I wish he could have used it again this year! :luv17:) At this point, it's all starting to run together! :dance2:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Question for you -- didn't Jason debut Piano at Skate America Milwaukee 2015, then he was injured and was out for the rest of the season? So he sorta kinda only used that program for one year, instead of two. (I'm still thinking about how I wish he could have used it again this year! :luv17:) At this point, it's all starting to run together! :dance2:

He debuted it domestically at Glacier Falls 2015, IIRC. Internationally he debut it at one of the challenger series events, Ondrej Nepala Trophy, then did it at Skate America and another senior B, Ice Challenge. So essentially three events.

icekiwi

On the Ice
Congratulations to Boyang Spidey man on the Gold!! Totally deserved, 2 clean programs, no questions about the security of the jumps, all have such clean takeoffs and landings.

I am most impressed with the huge development in the actual programs, both the SP and FS are a lot more convincing now. Boyang's artistry and skating skills have so improved as well. Congratulations to Lori for the superb job she has done with Boyang. His movements are much more defined and with conviction. Those defined choreographic moves right at the start of the FS, set the mood for the rest of the program . Love the 'Charleston' dancing bit in the middle, it added a bit of flair and jovialness.

I have so enjoyed watching these programs now. Thank you, Boyang!

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think Toddler P might be considering becoming a Boyangaughter! She just turned on Boyang's FS on YouTube. I kid you not. And she's still watching it.

I seeee. Clearly Toddler P and SS's Yuzurudaughter are going to have to go fist to fist ahead of the olympics so that we know who'll win in advance :p

LOL. That would be kinda interesting especially since my little girl is a tiny one!

She watched that FS for a while -- for her that's pretty noteworthy.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Meanwhile, my Yuzudaughter is already four foot eleven inches tall and 95 pounds at only 9 years of age. I feel like Toddler P Boyangdaughter is at a slight disadvantage, both age and size wise, and would therefore be a better rival to newdaughter, whose men’s figure skating alliance is still unknown. :laugh:

Fun fact: autocorrect doesn’t bother to attempt to correct Yuzudaughter or Yuzurudaughter anymore. :devil:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
He debuted it domestically at Glacier Falls 2015, IIRC. Internationally he debut it at one of the challenger series events, Ondrej Nepala Trophy, then did it at Skate America and another senior B, Ice Challenge. So essentially three events.

Plus at Team Challenge Cup at the end of the 2015-16 season.

Golden Skate had a stellar :yes: ;) reporter on site, who interviewed Jason.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Plus at Team Challenge Cup at the end of the 2015-16 season.

Golden Skate had a stellar :yes: ;) reporter on site, who interviewed Jason.

Ha, you're cute. :laugh:

Okay, four performances this season. But I think the point stands that it didn't feel like he really performed it fully through that season.

But hindsight and all that jazz.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Meanwhile, my Yuzudaughter is already four foot eleven inches tall and 95 pounds at only 9 years of age. I feel like Toddler P Boyangdaughter is at a slight disadvantage, both age and size wise, and would therefore be a better rival to newdaughter, whose men’s figure skating alliance is still unknown. :laugh:

Fun fact: autocorrect doesn’t bother to attempt to correct Yuzudaughter or Yuzurudaughter anymore. :devil:

PossibleBoyangdaughter will be almost 3 by the time UnknownAllianceDaughter is born -- so there will be a bit of an age difference. ;)

Last edited: