2018 GP Helsinki Free Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2018 GP Helsinki Free Dance

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I think they deserve that gold - excited to see this in Europeans/Worlds when its had more time to improve too!

Disappointed for C/P as their SB score would have got them a medal here - but for a first GP and at such a young age, I think that that was a successful outing. Hoping that next year they go for something a bit different - I think they could really sell a more upbeat FD, their Latin SD was great for them imo

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Want to join me in remedial steps and turns class so we can? :biggrin:

I should seriously print out that ISU rulebook for Ice Dance this season and learn, learn, learn!!! :laugh: Instead, I spent half a day on thinking about become broke and going to Grenoble to see Gilles/Poirier FD...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Was Stepanova/Bukin really better in the FD than all of Gilles/Poirier, Hubbell/Donohue, and Sinitsina/Katsalapov last week? I don't think so...

I feel like SCI was more strict as far as the tech panel, so it's hard to say how they compare perfectly. Honestly I think it's actually pretty tight between those four couples at this point.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I should seriously print out that ISU rulebook for Ice Dance this season and learn, learn, learn!!! :laugh: Instead, I spent half a day on thinking about become broke and going to Grenoble to see Gilles/Poirier FD...

Well it's a pretty good line up with Jason and Zhenya there too---I think you should. You're talking to the lady who opted to spend money on a plane flight rather than drive 3 hours to Skate America so she can see her faves at SCI.

Heck maybe I should look up international flights to France. LOL.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI
Music: La La Land soundtrack by Justin Hurwitz ("Audition," "A Lovely Night," "Epilogue")
Choreography by: Barbara Fusar Poli, Corrado Giordani
Costumes: Green La La dress for her, black pants and vest and tie with white shirt for him

Program Layout:

Boy Meets Girl Steps to establish A Relationship. Then a cartwheel entrance into
Dance Spin with cartwheel entrance. Level 4 1.53g
Circ Step Seq - Level 4/3.09 goe. Old fashioned but nicely done. Someone's been watching Old Hollywood Musicals.
Very nice rotational flip of her over his back entrance into
Twizzles: done in a circular pattern with tons of interconnecting steps (honestly, I thought this was a NT step seq the first time I saw it). Level 4 for both 2.91g
And then she stumbles coming out of them, but not in an element. Lucky them.
Curve Lift - with her on his back, he to one foot. A bit shaky, just a bit. Level 4, .92g
Big Tempo Change into what in a Classic Hollywood Movie would be the Instrumental Dance Interlude but here is the
NT Step Seq . The choreo is pretty standard but they do bring a nice bubbliness to it. Level 4 for both. 1.70goe And right into
Chor Char Step Seq - now this I'd ding them for because it barely has an axis. It's barely there before there a flip entrance into
Stationary Lift. Yes, it's the same one they use in their tango. Waste not, want not. Level 4 1.31g
Then steps into a cartwheel flip entrance into
SL Lift level 4 1.27 g
More steps into a
Choreo Lift - 2.49g
And a final
Choreo Spin (GOE: 3.32--it's nicely done)
and final Young Lovers Looking Longingly At Each Other pose.
Roll credits.

It really does have an old-timey Hollywood feel to it. I did research at one point for a film historian specializing in classic Hollywood musicals, so I've seen tons of them. It's not Fred and Ginger, but a dance for the ingenues. It is one of the more complete and fine LLL programs of the season.

Score: 118.93 SB. It's a good dance. They'll threaten the podium with that.

It was a fine performance with lots of level 4s. I don't think I would have had them as close to the Russians. In fact, they may have won but for the deductions which imho should not happen. It didn't but I th ink it is closer than it should have been Still I think Italy should be smiling, we don't miss C/L though I assume they are planning to skate still.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
For me it is dated in a sense of resembling rather 80s/90s programs than making it more current, music is totally fine and as I said, the concept of a program is good for them, it is just choreo and sloppy execution of it and the whole heavy movement, lots of gesticulation that makes it as a throwback. But it is just my opinion.

It honestly feels like Krylova is spending her time since she became a coach making programs for...Krylova. That program would have been a big hit...back in the early 90s.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It honestly feels like Krylova is spending her time since she became a coach making programs for...Krylova. That program would have been a big hit...back in the early 90s.

It's so weird Bettina gets all the attention when Sergey is no slouch. The fact that the programs revolve around her make me sad that Sergey and Anna are no more....

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's so weird Bettina gets all the attention when Sergey is no slouch. The fact that the programs revolve around her make me sad that Sergey and Anna are no more....

Also I credit Alexandra and Ivan for sticking it out..... after seeing Skoptcova and Aleshin at Skate Canada, I'm still mystified why Russian juniors have SUCH a hard time transitioning to the senior level after total domination (and really good programs) at the junior level.

s_parks

Record Breaker
9.14 for SS... LOLOLOL

It is P/C and H/D, then a flight of stairs, then everyone else. Bye.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
After three GP Events I think I have PC still far ahead, the Hubbell and Donahoe, Stepanova and Bukin, Italians,Gilles and Porier, S/K, Weapo Chock and Bates, M/C

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
They're not competing right now, so.

They competed at ACI and are coming back for Nationals. Hoping they get marked fairly at Worlds against S/B, G/F, and S/K, as I think it’s clear that W/P with P/C and H/D, are the top 3 couples (Chock/Bates we haven’t seen them yet).

s_parks

Record Breaker
They competed at ACI and are coming back for Nationals. Hoping they get marked fairly at Worlds against S/B, G/F, and S/K, as I think it’s clear that W/P with P/C and H/D, are the top 3 couples (Chock/Bates we haven’t seen them yet).

Well, the GP is going on right now, and they're not here for the series. I'm looking at the now :p

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
After three GP Events I think I have PC still far ahead, the Hubbell and Donahoe, Stepanova and Bukin, Italians,Gilles and Porier, S/K, Weapo Chock and Bates, M/C

So You are factoring a new season rules scores mixing them with previous ones making your placements? Or just making your faves list without seeing all programs for the season? Either way it is strange for me, I'd rather make some subjective judgement after all teams showed their material and preferably performed it two/three times to see how it works and how it is scored...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
KevinVchicago and Mrs. P , thanks for moral support of my imaginary for now decision of going to IdF:), I am crazy inside out making it up right now, but I am so tempted to do it...