2018 GP Helsinki Rhythm Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2018 GP Helsinki Rhythm Dance

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Okay. I couldn’t watch live, so before I dive in: is this yet another set of programmes sacrificed to the rink monster? I can’t take another SCI RD.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rai's commentators says 3:03 time overall, but G/F's music is long 2:59

They started the chrono before the beginning of the music ? :confused2:

It's not G/F's fault.

No, I have them skating for 3 minutes, 3 seconds and music was 3 minutes, 6 or so seconds. They did say in the press conference that their music played slower than normal.

Metis

Record Breaker
Oh, of course. (Possibly accidentally blanked out on account of their kissing you fd... :p)

Pass the brain bleach?

Protocols are depressing. So many L1 TRs. The rink monster must be full by now? Maybe I won’t watch the RD and just check in for the FD. I love a good TR, but a L1 TR just makes me angry. [emoji35]

Shedi0806

On the Ice
Hi Everyone from Helsinki! Got to the arena before the RD. I have to say, just quickly, that I prefered GF's RD by a mile. Seeing it, especially live...they ooze strength and passion. They also got the audience from beginning to end. You Could feel the energy.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, I have them skating for 3 minutes, 3 seconds and music was 3 minutes, 6 or so seconds. They did say in the press conference that their music played slower than normal.

The music didn't play itself. It was played on some equipment which played it slower than usual---why should they get a deduction for a mechanical error?

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Caught up with some of the RDs including G/F and S/B. Don’t know what to think about this time violation caused by possibly slowed down music. Imo, G/F should have gotten a bonus for skating after a false start and a delayed start ;). I think they have worked on this program quite a bit since Skate America and looked quite sharp today. I watched S/B after and they seemed somewhat sloppy in comparison, the exit from first twizzle set and the twizzles in the midline step looked out of sync, for example. G/F had better tango character and more passion while I felt S/B lacked some cohesion (don’t really like their music tbh). A battle for the gold and I hope the point difference is greater than 1.00 tomorrow.

Shoutout to T/V who got another PB today at their GP debut at home. Catherine from B.ESP said that she really likes them and are a bit of a revelation to her. I had a similar reaction when I discovered them earlier in the season :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The tech panel is throwing out Ns a lot, is the dancing not up to standards or is the tech panel being harsh?

I can't remember what I saw, low blood pressure plus lack of sleep does weird things with your brain.

They're being very strict. And with the nonsense being shoved down our throats with ridiculously inflated -- and selective --GOEs, I'm all for it. I hope they get even stricter.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Shoutout to T/V who got another PB today at their GP debut at home. Catherine from B.ESP said that she really likes them and are a bit of a revelation to her. I had a similar reaction when I discovered them earlier in the season :)
I watched with Tarasova commentating, and she was really impressed by them, especially her. She praised their skating skills, her extensions and expressiveness, as well as the quality of their elements, especially their lift, and even went as far as to say that they are going to be on Euros podium in the future.

oly2018

Final Flight
G/F were by far the class of the field to me. Their maturity and experience really shined in the R/D. I have never really noticed them, so they were a revelation.

S/B are interesting because I think he is AMAZING, but she leaves me a bit cold. I thought the first half was way better than the second, but I also don't like Edith Piaf that much.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't get the M/C hype. I know they are brilliant technical skaters, but there is 0 connection to the music or each other for me. I admire their technical prowess, but he in particular, just doesn't do it for me.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
They're being very strict. And with the nonsense being shoved down our throats with ridiculously inflated -- and selective --GOEs, I'm all for it. I hope they get even stricter.

Now the GOEs are the way to overscore Russsians, isn't it? :sarcasm: I mean, your ice dance posts are great when you keep them non subjective, but...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really like Stepanova and Bukin but the judges clearly are giving the message they are no. 2 h ere. They really must be disappointed. They may be leading but the Italians would be in the lead but for the deduction. Again another weaker field that other events.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Now the GOEs are the way to overscore Russsians, isn't it? :sarcasm: I mean, your ice dance posts are great when you keep them non subjective, but...

It's not just the Russians. G/F had it at Lombardia. H/D have benefited from it, particularly in their FD. It's not that I don't like S/B for instance. I do. But the jump in their scores this year is due strictly to inflated GOEs. I used to love during the Marlie/Voir years, Worlds was almost always decided by who hit their levels and who didn't. It's a sport first and foremost. Can you imagine if a tennis match was decided by the referee declaring SHE had the prettier serve than her opponent, so let's give her bonus points at the end of the game so she'll win the match. And frankly I don't care where the teams come from who are the recipients of these shenanigans. I'd call my own Mom out for it. Because it infests competitions with politics. And that's not why I watch skating.

Metis

Record Breaker
Neuropathy + insomnia is a heck of a combo, and I haven’t slept in 40ish hours, so apologies for any incoherence. Did watch the RD. Thoughts:

Finnish team: My highlight. Best dress (and lipstick), great programme, very enjoyable skate. Not a fan of the “MUST PLACE LUGGAGE IN OVERHEAD BIN” style lift, however.

Popova/Mozgov: Aaaaannnddd we’re opening in glorious H/D, as in: COITUS. My only lasting memory is the desire for a shower.

German team: Why are we skating two thirds of or programme to the same four bars of music?

Stepanova/Bukin: Organza skirt is fabulous. Technically brilliant. But not a tango? [emoji848] It was an excellent skate in terms of technical ability but didn’t quite cohere artistically — almost cluttered with marks of originality? Not sure how I feel about this.

McNamara/Carpenter: Hit your levels! You did at Skate America! Also, why is the American team competitive for the title of “most proficient at the pattern dance”? This is a very illogical AU.

Guignard/Fabbri: Well, that’s some deduction.

On the bright side: not a splatfest.

elysium

On the Ice
Haven’t really followed Guignard/Fabbri before, but they were really good yesterday. They definitely had the best tango mood.

Stepanova/Bukin are stepping up. But they felt slightly tentative at first yesterday, especially around the twizzle. The second part was sharper and more engaging.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Just a side note really but I find it odd that British Eurosport kept saying that M/C have "shot onto the scene" - but this is their second senior season (which so far has been better than their first, naturally) and they've been JW Champions before? Idk very minor but it irked me because their commentary is definitely more factually accurate when Mark is commentating

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
It's not just the Russians. G/F had it at Lombardia. H/D have benefited from it, particularly in their FD. It's not that I don't like S/B for instance. I do. But the jump in their scores this year is due strictly to inflated GOEs. I used to love during the Marlie/Voir years, Worlds was almost always decided by who hit their levels and who didn't. It's a sport first and foremost. Can you imagine if a tennis match was decided by the referee declaring SHE had the prettier serve than her opponent, so let's give her bonus points at the end of the game so she'll win the match. And frankly I don't care where the teams come from who are the recipients of these shenanigans. I'd call my own Mom out for it. Because it infests competitions with politics. And that's not why I watch skating.

It happened with all the other teams. I really don't see how S/B's GOEs are the only one being inflated (especially when Eurosport comentators stated how thier twizzles are the most difficult ones, comparing to the others). What then to say about Guignard/Fabbri and Turkila/Verslius GOE? It's not S/B who got their highest scores (PB) here, like those two!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It happened with all the other teams. I really don't see how S/B's GOEs are the only one being inflated (especially when Eurosport comentators stated how thier twizzles are the most difficult ones, comparing to the others). What then to say about Guignard/Fabbri and Turkila/Verslius GOE? It's not S/B who got their highest scores (PB) here, like those two!

My post STARTED with "It's not just the Russians." It's already starting to become a trend. And we're not even halfway into the GP Season. And yes, G/F are definitely a beneficiary of the trend. But T/V? They're skating on a whole new level this season, so I think the GOEs are largely justified.

It's a problem with HOW the rules and scoring were changed. It wasn't a change for the better.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Just a side note really but I find it odd that British Eurosport kept saying that M/C have "shot onto the scene" - but this is their second senior season (which so far has been better than their first, naturally) and they've been JW Champions before? Idk very minor but it irked me because their commentary is definitely more factually accurate when Mark is commentating

It isn't odd when you consider there were two Tennis commentators who did no research and just popped in to commentate on Figure Skating. Do you think any other sport would put up with that? But TV companies assume Skating viewers are casual about the details and technicalities. We're not! And they were both deeply annoying. Thankfully Mark Hanretty did a couple of shifts, but was busy with Dancing on Ice on Friday. Simon Reed's opinion is sometimes worth hearing, I respect that he's been commentating on the sport since the early 80s. But the rules have changed greatly, and he hasn't kept up. I tweeted that he'd said during the Pairs SP that it is now Judged separately for the lady & man! (Confusing it with Dance which Mark H probably told him about). Even the TS of the event Liked my tweet, so I felt vindicated criticizing him! In an era of livestreaming of smaller competitions, widespread internet coverage and up to date info of the changing world of Figure Skating and especially Ice Dance, you cannot just turn up for GPs and World's (he covers Tennis during Europeans) and commentate coherently, having done no prior research, and expect to get away with it. Catherine Whitaker is just as bad at talking nonsense. Mark Hanretty is the only excellent one. But he's a Pro on Dancing on Ice again so is not always available.