2018 Junior Grand Prix Final Ladies Short Program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2018 Junior Grand Prix Final Ladies Short Program

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Energy in the arena for Trusova and Kosternaia was amazing. Trusova's 3lz-3lo on the beat of the music was worth the ticket price all on it's own. Still don't know what happened with Shcherbakova, she really did do like four 3lz-3lo in a row right in front of me while waiting for her start to be called, like she was just killing time and bored waiting. She can claw a heck of a way back with determination fueling some 4lz, but sadly I think 18 points is too far even for her. Maybe she can claw back the 10 or so points she needs for bronze?

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Energy in the arena for Trusova and Kosternaia was amazing. Trusova's 3lz-3lo on the beat of the music was worth the ticket price all on it's own. Still don't know what happened with Shcherbakova, she really did do like four 3lz-3lo in a row right in front of me while waiting for her start to be called, like she was just killing time and bored waiting. She can claw a heck of a way back with determination fueling some 4lz, but sadly I think 18 points is too far even for her. Maybe she can claw back the 10 or so points she needs for bronze?

She’s 20 points off the lead, not 18?

At this point, I don’t think the 4Lz is going to save her unless she actually lands it, which she hasn’t done in international competition yet. Realistically, she has to be flawless and needs mistakes from others to get on the podium.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
It's already too late for that I'm afraid. Everyone was absolutely perfect last year except the girls jumping 3As and quads. It's a pretty impossible bar to beat.

Never say never. This is the GP season of heart wrenching comeback free skates after all. I could see Shcherbakova nailing her 4Lz on a comeback storm for bronze, and Trusova nailing 3 quads for a record and the win. That, plus everyone else skatin clean and proud could be a stellar free skate.

neusw

On the Ice
Never say never. This is the GP season of heart wrenching comeback free skates after all. I could see Shcherbakova nailing her 4Lz on a comeback storm for bronze, and Trusova nailing 3 quads for a record and the win. That, plus everyone else skatin clean and proud could be a stellar free skate.

True, that would be pretty spectacular. Not betting any money on that though :p

I would love to see Anna and Trusova both have perfect skates just to see what the scoring potential of those insane layouts are. I love seeing history made.

neusw

On the Ice
Giving Alena and Sasha nearly the same GOEs on the StSq is a joke

How so? Please elaborate based on the requirements for step sequence. Sasha has always been very strong on steps and she was particularly fast today, whereas Alena has often gotten level 3s. If anything it is the one area where Sasha excels and Alena is deficient relative to the rest of her skating.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alena was wonderful. The arena was mesmerized! I don't follow juniors all that closely, so this was quite a treat for me.

leilaraj

On the Ice
How so? Please elaborate based on the requirements for step sequence. Sasha has always been very strong on steps and she was particularly fast today, whereas Alena has often gotten level 3s. If anything it is the one area where Sasha excels and Alena is deficient relative to the rest of her skating.

Maybe that were harsh words I choose and I don‘t want to undermine Sasha’s performance on the StSq but for me Alena has more clear and deep edges and definitely better flow in her StSq, that is why I‘m confused by that comparitive scoring

neusw

On the Ice
Maybe that were harsh words I choose and I don‘t want to undermine Sasha’s performance on the StSq but for me Alena has more clear and deep edges and definitely better flow in her StSq, that is why I‘m confused by that comparitive scoring

Alena absolutely does, but step sequence is about rapid changes of edge, direction, upper and lower body position, etc. Alena's deep glide means she can hold edges very well but it is harder for her to do these rapid position/direction changes. Today she did much better on the steps than earlier in the season.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow just got home from a night out and immediately loaded up Sasha’s performance :dbana:

She’s improving a lot with her interpretation and the in between steps and StSeq are just text book execution! Powerful and yet meaningful. Her spins are not the fastest but are they maybe the most well centered? I think she’s putting a greater style to each movement as she grows more and more comfortable with this program. The tiny error and giggling at the end just speaks to everything I like about her. Great job kiddo. One of her best performances in spite of the tiny error I’ve seen from her. Off to the FS with one of my favorite programs. I wonder if she’s improved upon it too :)

I’ll check in with the others a bit later I think.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I totally miscalculated the hours and ended up waking an hour late :bang: So I went back to sleep some more before Men. Anyway, congrats, Alena! :love:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Popping to say that Alena was...I don't even know how to put the feeling she evoked in me with that performance, it is pretty indescribable. The experience of sheer, pure beauty, so mature consciousness in her interpretation, expression, being in control, but powering with speed, abandon, freedom to it. Also, the detail she puts in step sequence, accentuating music tempo, looking effortless, sublime, finished yet you wish it would go on more. She already has a lasting performance power I feel, like all-around quality that makes you in awe, mesmerized and forgetting who she is, from which country, her 'reputation' or none of it. She enters the rink, gives the gift of such performance and that’s her identity. That ending gets me every single time.

Last edited:

kresslia

Medalist
I'm still amazed by Alena. I thought she was a nice skater prior to today, but I was seriously mesmerized in a way I haven't been in a long time watching her. I truly hope she is able to stay among the top Russian ladies for a long, long time. Incredibly gifted and special skater.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I'm still amazed by Alena. I thought she was a nice skater prior to today, but I was seriously mesmerized in a way I haven't been in a long time watching her. I truly hope she is able to stay among the top Russian ladies for a long, long time. Incredibly gifted and special skater.

Watching her, there's something special bound to happen I feel. The most impressive thing is actually no jumping ability, no firewoeks/big tricks, but how she conducts performance, sublime, ethereal synthesis between how she moves and how she expresses music through motion - she makes like 'usual', 'ordinary' skating around or performance special, uniquely infused with youthfulness and maturity/control at the same time. She is the centerpiece of it all, no jumps, no transitions, but HER doing this.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
When it comes to performance and interpretation, she's not there yet. But everything else is sublime. I could watch her forever.

I would say she is second only to Satoko. Or third behind Carolina and Satoko. ;)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Watched the event, and wow! Alena Kostornaia is really magical! :love: But I must say that I really liked how Sasha Trusova performed today as well. Other ladies did well as well, even though there were mistakes. Hope all Ladies skate their best in FP!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
congratulations to Alena Kostornaia! stunning performance, the best of the day, she deserved to lead. on the other hand Shcherbakova just broke my heart. it's hard to watch such a good talented skater bomb so bad. Trusova was...well Trusova :biggrin: