2018 Olympic Figure Skating Free Dance | Page 101 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Free Dance

DianaSwitz

Match Penalty
The top 2 at this competition were unlike any other seen, perhaps since 1998. Both pairs skated the best they could and performed the best FDs we may have ever witnessed. V/M are both 28/30 years of age and so to beat P/C who are at their peak was even more incredible.

Sadly, I think the Shibutanis' medals means they were never ever leaving Zoueva and Coldplay.

H/D were handed the bronze medal on a platter by the judges if going by PCS and GOE, but they totally collapsed in the FD and rightfully did not earn a medal. The judges were definitely trying to give them the medal but they just collapsed.

V/M are both 28/30 years of age and so to beat P/C who are at their peak was even more incredible.

Excuse me, what you mean by that? Are you satisfied ? You think that older skaters won with younder ones because they were better?
There were no equal chances in short program and definitely P/C wre not in their peak. But what I saw that free programs event and P/C beat V/M .

ChristineChew

Rinkside
V/M are both 28/30 years of age and so to beat P/C who are at their peak was even more incredible.

Excuse me, what you mean by that? Are you satisfied ? You think that older skaters won with younder ones because they were better?
There were no equal chances in short program and definitely P/C wre not in their peak. But what I saw that free programs event and P/C beat V/M .

V/M won not because they are older, but because they did better in Olympics.
Because they are older and cannot be in best physical conditions in each event, that's why you see they are not doing well in GPs. But they have the ability to adjust themselves to perform their best in Olympics. They won because they didn't make a single step wrong in both SD and FD.
No one can guarantee that PC would do perfect even without wardrobe malfunction under such a pressure.
You could think that PC will be better scored without accidents (and truthfully speaking, that'll be the result manipulated by judges, and maybe should be thankful that accidents adjust that.) But that's competition, it's not everything on paper, it is made up of lots of live elements. Everyone should get over. You think that PC is in bad luck, but they clearly know that judges are on their side after seeing SD scores. So then what should VM think from the start of this season? To think about no matter what they do the judge will not select them?
And be honest, what I feel most after ice dance is that in most cases fairness is not displayed, but there will be some time, fate helps adjust that. And thanks.

DianaSwitz

Match Penalty
Because they are older and cannot be in best physical conditions in each event, that's why you see they are not doing well in GPs. But they have the ability to adjust themselves to perform their best in Olympics. They won because they didn't make a single step wrong in both SD and FD.
No one can guarantee that PC would do perfect even without wardrobe malfunction under such a pressure.
You could think that PC will be better scored without accidents (and truthfully speaking, that'll be the result manipulated by judges, and maybe should be thankful that accidents adjust that.) But that's competition, it's not everything on paper, it is made up of lots of live elements. Everyone should get over. You think that PC is in bad luck, but they clearly know that judges are on their side after seeing SD scores. So then what should VM think from the start of this season? To think about no matter what they do the judge will not select them?
And be honest, what I feel most after ice dance is that in most cases fairness is not displayed, but there will be some time, fate helps adjust that. And thanks.

I didnt say that they won because they were older, could you read my post once again? I said that for some people here it is impressive that 28/30 old skaters WIN WITH younger team who were at their peak WHICH IS NOT TRUTH
Anyway, they were NOT better, if they were, they would have won also FD, but Papadakis had her dress in one piece :laugh: Scott is such honorable, decent sportive man that he commented about winning FD by French : :"hey were overscored anyway , we were better, we blew off the arena"( with fanatic yuna kim fanbase who love what she loves)- thats a typical behavior from a person who won OGM- is that normal to you?

Matt K

On the Ice
V/M are both 28/30 years of age. Not young and at their peak like P/C. For V/M to be past their "peak" and yet beat a team at their "peak" is very impressive, more so because their biggest rivals were the judges who did not want to give them gold at the last Olympic Games after winning in 2010. But they skated so well in the FD that the judges had no choice but to award them their deservedly high marks.

P/C's wardrobe malfunction was very unfortunate in the SD. But we do not know what would have happened or how they would be scored if they had not the wardrobe malfunction. Maybe she would have twizzled faster. Maybe they would have higher marks on that element. Maybe she would have fell had she twizzled faster. Maybe the level 3 would be a level 4. Who knows. Unfortunate. But V/M skated so well in the FD for a program that they made major changes to since the GPF that the judges just could not deny them again. And being 28 and 30 years of age, beating a team like P/C who are at their prime, is extremely impressive.

Matt K

On the Ice
The particular US ice dance judge, and coincidentally, the particular Chinese judge at this event have had their knives out for V/M for a long, long time now since the Vancouver Olympics. For V/M to have skated so well, the rest of the panel could not turn a blind eye to their skating and gave them their deservedly high marks in the FD.

Those particular 2 judges, much to their chagrin, failed at denying V/M their deserved 2nd individual Olympic gold medal. But who cares about them. V/M's coaching change, their team around them, and their newly revamped personnel really made the difference vs. 4 years ago.

If only V/M, at their peak in 2012, had made the change earlier to Dubreuil/Lauzon, it would not even have been close. V/M would have beaten every other team at that time, quite possibly.

Matt K

On the Ice

Davis/White won the GPF in the 2009-2010 heading to the 2010 Olympics. But V/M blew away the entire field at the 2010 Olympics with perfect skates and performances. It was not even close. No one disputes V/M's win at the 2010 Olympics.

The GPF does not mean much, particularly in forecasting World Championships and Olympics where the GPF losers are trying to peak at the World Championships or Olympics.

V/M made major changes to the music and changes to the latter half of the program after the GPF that made a huge difference. Their original program was so obviously not a winning one. But they made the changes and turned out to be so much better than the Grand Prix series.

DianaSwitz

Match Penalty
V/M are both 28/30 years of age. Not young and at their peak like P/C. For V/M to be past their "peak" and yet beat a team at their "peak" is very impressive, more so because their biggest rivals were the judges who did not want to give them gold at the last Olympic Games after winning in 2010. But they skated so well in the FD that the judges had no choice but to award them their deservedly high marks.

P/C's wardrobe malfunction was very unfortunate in the SD. But we do not know what would have happened or how they would be scored if they had not the wardrobe malfunction. Maybe she would have twizzled faster. Who knows. Unfortunate. But V/M skated so well in the FD for a program that they made major changes to since the GPF that the judges just could not deny them again. And being 28 and 30 years of age, beating a team like P/C who are at their prime, is extremely impressive.

They DIDNT beat P/C at FD I know you cannot admit, but dennying it DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUTH. Repeat it also wont help . They won not by coz they were bette. I know it is hard to accept it.

And P/C were NOT IN THEIR PRIME in short , They were in their PRIME in FD and you saw what happened. Being rude doesnt change anything
And we know whar would happen. they would have score higher for sure

Matt K

On the Ice

P/C's wardrobe malfunction to her was very unfortunate. Obviously, they said afterwards that it impacted their performance. But without the wardrobe malfunction, we just do not know if they would have scored higher than V/M or high enough to beat V/M for Olympic gold. Without the wardrobe malfunction, they may have twizzled faster. Maybe doing so, they would have stumbled on the twizzle. Maybe their lift would be faster. Maybe they would have fell. Maybe not. Who knows.

Matt K

On the Ice
I am not trying to be rude, because I like P/C very much, and find them to be one of the best skaters, probably ever, but in 5 events that V/M and P/C have both participated in head to head, V/M beat P/C in 4 out of those 5 events.

And all of those 5 events occurred over the past 2 seasons, when V/M came out of retirement (and past their prime), whereas P/C are totally in their prime. To repeat, V/M beat P/C in 4 out of 5 events these past 2 seasons where V/M are past their "peak" and P/C are in their peak.

V/M's winning over P/C is not just a fluke, IMO.

Matt K

On the Ice
While the Canadian judge was president of Skate Canada, it is not like home judges (president or not) do not inflate their own skaters' scores. President or not, put ANY canadian ice dance judge on the panel and the result would have been the same.

The problem I have with Sharon Rogers, US ice dance judge, is that her marks for V/M have always been egregiously low like she has an axe to grind with them. Last year, in V/M's undefeated 2016-2017 season, she gave V/M worse marks than Shibs, Hubbell/Donohue, and Chock/Bates at the 4CC, an event that V/M won easily.

Meanwhile, France's judge Christine Hurth gave V/M horrible marks at the GPF and at other events placing them the lowest of all judges and giving P/C the highest marks. Had a Christine Hurth been on the FD panel, P/C would likely have higher marks. But, the pendulum also swings both ways. If French judge Christine Hurth is on the FD panel, and take out Sharon Rogers (US judge who hates V/M), then it totally evens out. In fact, V/M's marks in the FD might not even change at all!

Matt K

On the Ice
Gabriella and Guillaume unfortunately could not skate at their peak in the short dance:(

V/M could not skate at their peak given their old ages (28/30) in both events. This is older than when G/P won their second Olympic gold. And unlike G/P, V/M had 8 years in between their first Olympic gold and second. Lifts and spins and whatnot I cannot imagine to be easy for them. But they made the most of it and their hard work along with talent was richly awarded by the judges.

DianaSwitz

Match Penalty
While the Canadian judge was president of Skate Canada, it is not like home judges (president or not) do not inflate their own skaters' scores. President or not, put ANY canadian ice dance judge on the panel and the result would have been the same.

The problem I have with Sharon Rogers, US ice dance judge, is that her marks for V/M have always been egregiously low like she has an axe to grind with them. Last year, in V/M's undefeated 2016-2017 season, she gave V/M worse marks than Shibs, Hubbell/Donohue, and Chock/Bates at the 4CC, an event that V/M won easily.

Meanwhile, France's judge Christine Hurth gave V/M horrible marks at the GPF and at other events placing them the lowest of all judges and giving P/C the highest marks. Had a Christine Hurth been on the FD panel, P/C would likely have higher marks. But, the pendulum also swings both ways. If French judge Christine Hurth is on the FD panel, and take out Sharon Rogers (US judge who hates V/M), then it totally evens out. In fact, V/M's marks in the FD might not even change at all![/QUOTE]

Exactly , i am glad you get it. There should be also French judge in the panel , to balance vERY underscored marks by canadinas

I bolded it not to pointin out that if she is president thats why she overscored canadians. Any canadian would do that. The point is that she shouldt be there, By what right she was there/ Thats overusing rules

4 of 9 in FD judges were also at skate canada. Amazing concidence , especially when there were any French

Matt K

On the Ice
In other thoughts aside from V/M and P/C, I think that Zoueva and Scali have really dropped the ball.

Oleg and Massimo Scali's contributions to the Zoueva school have not been good. I thought that Scali, as a self-professed artist, would bring much more to the choreography and programs of Zoueva's teams. But his work has been bland, uninspiring, choreography-by-numbers, and just plain stale. So sad that the Shibs are continuing in that direction. Also very sad for Stepanova/Bukin to have not competed this Olympics.

Matt K

On the Ice
There should have been a French judge on the FD panel as this would be fair to all teams including P/C.

But it cannot be guaranteed that a French judge in the FD panel would have changed the result at all. Even if you put French judge Christine Hurth on the panel, you have to take out another. And going by how much you say that so many judges ranked P/C higher and V/M lower, taking out one of these judges would actually not do anything to the overall result. In fact, Christine Hurth's marks would be eliminated! Obviously, Canadian judge's marks to V/M would also be eliminated but it makes very little impact to the overall result, if any at all.

Sharon Rogers (USA) judge has been extremely harsh on V/M, more so than French judge Christine Hurth. Putting in French judge Christine Hurth and replacing with Sharon Rogers would not help P/C at all. It would actually help V/M!

Matt K

On the Ice
I hope that the Shibs will try to aim higher than 3rd place at these coming events. To do so, they must leave Zoueva/Scali IMO. Zoueva/Scali are regressing and the team that they have (Oleg, Scali) don't have a clue on what they are doing IMO.

They need technical coaches, and a team that will help them explore interpretation. Scali/Oleg are out to lunch when it comes to all of these areas.

DianaSwitz

Match Penalty
V/M could not skate at their peak given their old ages (28/30) in both events. This is older than when G/P won their second Olympic gold. And unlike G/P, V/M had 8 years in between their first Olympic gold and second. Lifts and spins and whatnot I cannot imagine to be easy for them. But they made the most of it and their hard work along with talent was richly awarded by the judges.

It has no sense,it could be an excuse? you dont know what come up with, yeah??
..so DONT tell me that V/M were not in their peak because were older and P/C were , only had problem with a dress but thats nothing.THOSE RE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS .IF YOU COMPARE THEM . :console: You re sure that without such problem, the score would be the same...yeah sure whatever you say..
If they won Fd, i could understand it. But being older doesn not justifie the unjustice happened to french

They are not THAT old. Dont make me laugh,They had won with a pair WHO could NOt take fair fight with them And it doesnt matter that one pair is older, they decides to compete .. You know what that means ? A LOT.. It fits your narrative thats why you have no seen any problem with that. I wonder it that happened to v/m , what their fanbase would say. Their would be furious

You dont treat it as serious issue coz you find P/c overrated anyway You think their short is weak , overscored as their FD. So its good that they didnt win. Doesnt matter what it coused. V/m are better overral. Luck helped you, otherwise those french would have win this with that corruped judges...you even dont deny it

flaneur

On the Ice
I've been thinking about Chock/Bates' FS. I've never been a fan of this team. They are technically good but their performance always left me cold. It wasn't until this FS and the subsequent utter heartbreak on Chock's face that I figured out why I couldn't connect. Usually in competition Chock's performance/game face is mask-like. It reads as aggressive and a little mean (while Bates' game face reads as too timid by comparison). The heartbreak and tears post-FS was the first time in competition that I've seen her without that mask — and it was the most beautiful Chock has ever looked. In the future if she is somehow able to channel that openness and vulnerability, or at least mimic it, I think it would make them better performers.

(This isn't meant to be mean-spirited. Just some constructive thoughts. I'm sure she is a lovely person IRL)