2018 Olympic Season: Ice Dance | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Ice Dance

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'm bummed that the twitch streamer got banned...now I have to watch on the NBC Olympics app. I'll be watching it like an hour or and hour and a half after I get home from the airport tomorrow. Lol. Dedication!

I am bummed also.....I was looking forward to seeing more than 6 ladies.... :( :sad4: :no: :sad21:

Chris with no app.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Everybody has its preferences, what makes one of the teams as their favourite one. Than later this situation creates emotions over the actual performance. Hopefully the judges are not in this way and also they can ignore SOME of the influences of different federation.
THAN we can have the the correct result based on the performance.
The "mutual consense" already made who will win IF everybody skates their heart out. It will be the French team.
I personally cannot understand why, but C'est la vie. Something is weak in the Canadian politicking. It is happening at the second time.

I think that already the majority is having an opinion that Davis/White could only beat V/M when they actually lost (Fledermaus Free Dance).... The rest always been backstage dealing.

Roast Toast

Medalist
Well, all I can say is, I wish I had your confidence in P/C's certain victory. I swear some people enjoy basking in outrage more than they do the actual skating.

I think the most interesting aspect of this competition will be how it will impact the next four-year cycle. These are two radically different styles, and the winner will be seen, rightly or wrongly, as a model for the future of the sport. As I see it, Virtue and Moir's style centers around emotion, relatedness, and an almost out-of-control immersion in the rhythms of any kind of dance, which can sometimes lead to more errors and to less mastery of any one particular rhythm. Papadakis and Cizeron, on the other hand, create a pure aesthetic experience with their speed and the shapes they create with their bodies, as if they are one unit rather than two dance partners; and this seems to require more control over the music to pull off (which is why, for instance, they cut their "Moonlight Sonata" to avoid ending on the presto).

Personally, when I compare the way the field looked after P/C won their second world title with the way it looks this season, I would say that V/M's presence has had a more salutary effect on the field as a whole. Take P/C and V/M's training mates Hubbell and Donahue: their free dance from last year always made me cringe -- the emotions were sentimental, and the attempted lyricism and light blue costumes felt like a poor reflection of P/C. This year, their dance looks like no one else's and comes across as something they feel authentically. In general, there seems to be much more variety in the free dances this season than there was last season.

However, it's undeniable that Papadakis and Cizeron brought something new to ice dance. Maybe the field does need to move forward with them leading the way, for now. But it does worry me that they seem uninterested in extending themselves beyond the style they've perfected. Again, not to harp on this, but I think the way they avoid ending on the true final notes of "Moonlight Sonata" makes them look severely limited, as if they are afraid of completely abandoning themselves to the music. And if the challenge of Virtue and Moir didn't force them to take that risk with their music, then what will?

Even if P/C do win here, I think the field may quickly absorb their influence over the next four years and then leave them behind, unless they can take the sorts of risks that will continue to make their dances surprising and new. Their overthrow by Virtue and Moir last year shows how vulnerable they are to dancers who are not trying to follow their example.

Inego

Rinkside
Intersting thing
Yuzuru & Javier - 1 coach
PC & VM - 1 coach
Med & Zagi - 1 coach
Only in pairs are different))

AliAle

On the Ice
Personally, when I compare the way the field looked after P/C won their second world title with the way it looks this season, I would say that V/M's presence has had a more salutary effect on the field as a whole. Take P/C and V/M's training mates Hubbell and Donahue: their free dance from last year always made me cringe -- the emotions were sentimental, and the attempted lyricism and light blue costumes felt like a poor reflection of P/C. This year, their dance looks like no one else's and comes across as something they feel authentically. In general, there seems to be much more variety in the free dances this season than there was last season.

I think this is a bit unfair, no? You're correlating H/D's love songs medley with the P/C influence and their current FD with V/M's influence. H/D are on their own journey, finding themselves and bringing their own style to the table. And by the way, P/C never had a "zacharrine sweet" type of program, their trademark is seamless transitions and an almost hypnotic cadence to their movement. They're the water and air to V/M's earth and fire.

However, it's undeniable that Papadakis and Cizeron brought something new to ice dance. Maybe the field does need to move forward with them leading the way, for now. But it does worry me that they seem uninterested in extending themselves beyond the style they've perfected. Again, not to harp on this, but I think the way they avoid ending on the true final notes of "Moonlight Sonata" makes them look severely limited, as if they are afraid of completely abandoning themselves to the music. And if the challenge of Virtue and Moir didn't force them to take that risk with their music, then what will?
wae
Even if P/C do win here, I think the field may quickly absorb their influence over the next four years and then leave them behind, unless they can take the sorts of risks that will continue to make their dances surprising and new. Their overthrow by Virtue and Moir last year shows how vulnerable they are to dancers who are not trying to follow their example.

Not sure how to take the "leave them behind" comment, you seem to be suggesting that they're only riding the wave of their style, a sort of style over substance approach to their success. Which couldn't be further from the truth. Even when stropping them of the "style", you're still left with superb skating skills, which most skaters will never manage to attain. Their overthrow by V/M last season only showed they were vulnerable to pressure and that they were not putting enough effort into perfecting their Short Dance routines. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for V/M's comeback because it pushed P/C's even more (like any good rivalry does), but the vulnerability they showed last season had nothing to do with what V/M did or didn't do on the ice. If anything, it showed that you can't beat P/C at the soft, ethereal style, just like you can't beat V/M at the theatrical, dramatic one.

There are more important things in life. Like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_-UK6nLuCw :laugh2: (November 2013)

That's some scenario :laugh:

Oh God, please don't dig this out again! :laugh: V/M fans will scream at how inconsiderate P/C were, while P/C fans will throw a fit at how arrogant Scott is.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I remember when some people pointed out to me in the Europeans thread that there was no real hate towards P/C on here. Good times.

Blushingheart

Match Penalty
I think the most interesting aspect of this competition will be how it will impact the next four-year cycle. These are two radically different styles, and the winner will be seen, rightly or wrongly, as a model for the future of the sport. As I see it, Virtue and Moir's style centers around emotion, relatedness, and an almost out-of-control immersion in the rhythms of any kind of dance, which can sometimes lead to more errors and to less mastery of any one particular rhythm. Papadakis and Cizeron, on the other hand, create a pure aesthetic experience with their speed and the shapes they create with their bodies, as if they are one unit rather than two dance partners; and this seems to require more control over the music to pull off (which is why, for instance, they cut their "Moonlight Sonata" to avoid ending on the presto).

You must all forgotten that back then Tessa and Scott were masters of "the young lovers" thing. And people were enchanted. But for me they never went anywhere interesting with it.
V/M are wonderful skaters, but they're not really good interpretive dancers.
With Moulin Rouge it hardly comes off as the kittenish, seductive Satine--there's no subtlety to it and I don't get the Moulin Rouge character and story from it. The lift, for instance, where Tessa stands on Scott's thigh--she's looking away from him. In contrast, P/C have a standing lift, but Gabriella's looking down and arcs toward Guillaume; it creates a romantic mood and sense of connection between them--it would have been a beautiful lift in a Moulin Rouge program--but the MR program has no tenderness in it and the story needs that.

And tell me who said that versatility have to determine who should win gold? And what do you mean by versality? Music or skating?? And what i s more important versality or being innovative?

AliAle

On the Ice
I remember when some people pointed out to me in the Europeans thread that there was no real hate towards P/C on here. Good times.

I'm pretty sure it's not hate, but rather fear and uncertainty. People are using the "it must be fixed" theory as a cushion in case V/M do not win OG. If they win it, it will suddenly be fair judging and justice being made. I prefer P/C myself, but I really don't get the need to tear down V/M. It would be petty, immature and show a complete lack of sportive attitude and enjoyment for the sport.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure it's not hate, but rather fear and uncertainty. People are using the "it must be fixed" theory as a cushion in case V/M do not win OG. If they win it, it will suddenly be fair judging and justice being made. I prefer P/C myself, but I really don't get the need to tear down V/M. It would be petty, immature and show a complete lack of sportive attitude and enjoyment for the sport.
Couldn't agree more. :thumbsup:
Oh God, please don't dig this out again! :laugh: V/M fans will scream at how inconsiderate P/C were, while P/C fans will throw a fit at how arrogant Scott is.
Why, it's amazing ! Just to loosen up the atmosphere... I mean, what are the odds ? :eek: I appreciate these seconds of almost-incident as much as anybody I think. :laugh:
We missed Marina saying : "I shut up" haha !

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is there any chance they will go to Worlds?

The commentators have been saying Tessa and Scott have said this is their last competitive performance. Most if not all of the Canadian gold medal team are retiring, except the ladies. That's not to say that any of them may not change their minds and go to Worlds before they retire.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Why are the Shibs not in the final group? They skate before a few teams who are not as accomplished? I think this might hurt their chances going into the free skate.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I'm not a fan of either, but I'm looking forward to the V/M v P/C showdown. I know they had already encounters this season, but Olympics will be special again.
Most interesting will be the fight for bronze. I thought Pairs would be tight, but looking at the line-up, this one could be a nail-biter as well. I always feel like Shibs lost their momentum a bit..,

Skatingcat

Final Flight
It looks like skating politics are against the Shibs this season. Which I find incredibly difficult to believe because I cannot stand the Donohue/Hubbell programs (prepares to duck tomatoes).

But all that aside, I am rooting for the French.