2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies FS | Page 129 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies FS

TCAngel18

Medalist
Ashley had the best presentation at this competition and the scores did not reflect it.

One of the most interesting suggestions in the article is how Ashley had less training time because of promoting the sport specifically at the behest of the USFSA. There's a systemic problem with how the organization controls the fate of any skater. Nobody is allowed to go to competitions based upon their own merit, instead they have to be chosen. With the case of Ashley, perhaps she feels like she's in a situation where the USFSA used her in order to help line their own pockets and now have dumped her.

Good freakin point. USFSA knew that Ashley was the most marketable skater of the quad, especially off that world medal won in the good ole USA.

People suggest that it shouldn’t be an excuse because Nathan had done ads, too. Nathan is also 8 years younger, a lifetime in Figure Skating Mileage. His body probably needs less rest and recovery time, so he could balance marketing commitments and training time, whereas Ashley has to balance the training time, the recovery time, the commitments for marketing for both USFSA and her sponsors.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I heard in Sochi times that Wagner wanted to work in broadcast journalism. Let's get rid of Tara and Johnny for the Olympics and replace them with Ashley and Gracie! :biggrin:

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight

This article reads a little bit like Ashley was supposed to go just 'cause but was so unfairly thwarted at the last minute!!!
And I used to be an Ashley fan, and she is a great performer but over the last few seasons she's had more disappointing moments than huge wins [her huge win was pretty amazing though], and still talks like she's the best thing to ever happen to US figure skating. I think it's probably time for some new skaters to have a chance in the spotlight and be motivated to compete with the best in the world.

Globetrotter

Medalist
One thing I don't get is if her skating skills are far superior (according to Charlie,) why is Ashley not able to get level 4 step sequences called?

There are a set of requirements in turns, variety and directions to get level 4. Just a slight wobble and step out may disqualify you of the level requirement. Of course a strong SS generally means you can perform the StSq more effortlessly (think PChan, CaroK, Satoko etc) but hitting level 4 is not so much to do with SS than staying focus and hitting the steps. Anyway, what Charlie meant was Ashley had better basic SS than Bradiebut that is only relative. US ladies generally have not been shiny examples of what strong SS is about (M Kwan and Gracie Gold not withstanding). Ashley’s SS is possibly her weakest link and compared to the Japanese and Russians, she really is quite mediocre in that aspect.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Did I become a Mariah Bell fan too late? I saw her skate that famous FS at Skate America, but I was kind of meh about it. Recently, I love her... but I wonder if her ship has sailed. Or maybe she's on the verge of a breakthrough. Time will tell.

rmaap1

Rinkside
There are a set of requirements in turns, variety and directions to get level 4. Just a slight wobble and step out may disqualify you of the level requirement. Of course a strong SS generally means you can perform the StSq more effortlessly (think PChan, CaroK, Satoko etc) but hitting level 4 is not so much to do with SS than staying focus and hitting the steps. Anyway, what Charlie meant was Ashley had better basic SS than Bradiebut that is only relative. US ladies generally have not been shiny examples of what strong SS is about (M Kwan and Gracie Gold not withstanding). Ashley’s SS is possibly her weakest link and compared to the Japanese and Russians, she really is quite mediocre in that aspect.

Understood, but I think the TES and PCS are tied together more than most people realize. It's more than just separate technical and artistry/presentation scores. Did she plan level 4 level steps and spins and then not get them? That's skating skills. Or where they not planned at all - that could affect the choreography score. Or both? Popped jumps affect execution scores, etc.

Putina

On the Ice
Putina said:
Is Karen Chen related to Nathan Chen?
No.

Lu, Nathan, and Karen Chen, Patrick Chan, and Mervin Tran all have the same Chinese family name. I think there is a skater named Tan and he would be one of the old family too.

We have also gone through Jin, Kim and Gold meaning the same thing.

As for Ma, I'm more familiar with Ma Lin and Ma Long, two of the greatest table tennis players ever.
Thanks, Mathman and Violet Bliss.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looking at the scoring I see that Karen Chen, Ashley Wagner, Starr Andrews and Mariah Bell are all within 3 points in the freeskate. Are they really that close in ability?

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
You all need to watch this funny video that features Ashley, Gracie & Harry Potter by Koola King to cheer up little bit. :biggrin: Brilliant sense of humour displayed in this timely reaction as well ... as fine editing skills. It cracks me up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOir9s3vGNo

why include Gracie in that video?
also, I'm so over Koola King acting like 2014 Olympics is the worst thing in the world. she should take a leave out of Yuna's book

ks777

Record Breaker
Is Charlie even serious??? Unfortunately the judges here and at Skate America disagree. I don't trust an ice dancer's judgment of the importance of technical prowess in today's skating world.

He is talking about the components scores and skating skills. I trust him more than those US judges, who just follow what the USFSA tell them to do. Plus an Olympic gold medal winning ice dancer probably know more about skating skills and PCS than those judges, who never even made it to the Olympics(most of them).

rmaap1

Rinkside
He is talking about the components scores and skating skills. I trust him more than those US judges, who just follow what the USFSA tell them to do. Plus an Olympic gold medal winning ice dancer probably know more about skating skills and PCS than those judges, who never even made it to the Olympics(most of them).

Do you have any idea how many hours of training and judging they have to put in before they are allowed to judge a senior event at Nationals? I don't get this supposed conspiracy theory. Why would USFS not want to send the best skaters and have this entire arrangement to prop someone up who won't help them earn a third spot next year?

lavender

Record Breaker
Just some quick thoughts before bed as someone who was there in person:

I have never been a fan of Ashley and always thought people were smoking some good stuff whenever they would go on about her "ability to perform" and yadda yadda. Having now seen her in person and especially in contrast with the other 20 girls at Nationals, I finally understood what people meant. It's like watching a really good movie and you're immediately invested from the get-go. I was glued to her the entire program and I've never gotten that from watching her on video; she filled out the ice really well too. It's pretty upsetting that she gave the only good performance of the night and was purposely held down in PCS for whatever reason especially compared to the top 3. I'd probably be rolling my eyes at that Ashley video saying she's furious about her scores if I hadn't been there in person but I have to agree with her. The PCS bump is being selectively applied to skaters. She got screwed. I also say this as someone who hates La La Land; movie is trash, but this program was fresh and spunky. I loved it.

Even though I was rooting for Mirai to win for sentimental reasons, she really didn't perform at all. Now don't get me wrong, the entire arena including myself were screaming after every jump because we wanted it so badly for her... but that doesn't equate to good PCS. She landed a fantastic 3A in the warm-up that lit up the arena. Marina Klimova was sitting next to me :)love:) and she went gaga over it too! Thrilled with her program here and I believe she's a good example to put in a dictionary next to the word "perseverance". I couldn't stop smiling after she finished and burst into tears on the ice. Her score got a standing ovation from my section too.

Karen Chen; I don't know if it was her flu or something but for someone who finished 4th in the World, her choreography and performance weren't too different than the lower tier skaters at Nationals. After hearing and reading tons about her speed from forums and commentators, I expected more from her. Her skating skills were the best of the field though; much smoother and effortless movement across the ice... so that has to count for something. I did love her ChSq with the spiral though. Really beautiful. In person, her 2A+1Lo+3S is a thing of beauty. Probably my favorite jump combination of the competition. Her layback was incredibly impressive too.

Bradie; most transitions out of anyone and faultless jumps except for 2A+3T. Likely nerves more than a specific technical fault though. Program was a snooze. Skating and speed is fine, nothing stands out. Choreography and performance is non-existent. Audience muted aside from jump landings. Her PCS compared to those below her, especially Ashley, are a joke. I can understand TES-ing your way to a National title but not with those PCS.

Side-notes: I didn't understand what people meant by Caroline Zhang snail speed until she got to her StSq. Holy damn girl, :eeking:. Even I could do that step sequence and I don't even skate. Amber Glenn had the most impressive triple triple combination, good speed into it. Tessa Hong is like mini Sasha Cohen. Starr Andrews was really good! And Michelle Kwan during the Hall of Fame introduction was looking good and fit, I say send her the Olympics as that third entry, why not. She'd get way more media coverage than any American Olympian period.

Over and out. Men's free tomorrow!

Just saw this. Loving this whole post..:laugh:

cell

On the Ice
https://youtu.be/i62UE1dHZlw

Koola King is obsessed ( I do get a kick out of it) but I laughed at this video

I guess she didn't know the difference between usfsa and isu.Because the judges aren't ISU. In her mind Ashley is this crusader against ISU :rolls: when it's ISU who have given her high PCS.

Nocturne

On the Ice
But Hanyu didn't use the programs 3 years in a row.... lol

Actually, he did just that. His SP is the same from 2014-2015, 2015-2016 and now for 2017-2018 while the LP is the same from 2015-2016. So he uses one program for the third and the other for the second time.
Thats the same number of repetitions as Ashley, only that she uses SP 2 times and LP 3 times.

I think her lack of success with that strategy is not really because of the programs but because of her declining TES ability and lesser performance of those programs.
Hanyu performend his SP brilliantly with enormous TES and the judges went crazy for it even though it was 3 seasons old. Thats the difference.