2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies SP | Page 66 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies SP

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thank you everyone for your wonderful insight and commentary it has been wonderful to be part of this group it has been such a bright spot for me. I lost my mom in 2016...we shared a love of figure skating and would talk and discuss the event. 20yrs ago we went on a trip of a lifetime to Philadelphia to see the 1998 nationals it was the first skating compitition my mom ever attended and she was thrilled she got to see Michelle and Tara live. Last year hard to watch nationals with out her and though it will always be bitter sweet to watch skating without my mom I thank every one of u sharing ur thoughts and love of skating it's been wonderful to be a part of

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't get what's funny. Zhenya is exceptionally musical and can sell a program. I don't find her "artistically uninspiring" in the least. Maybe it would be funny if I did? Maybe that's the joke. No clue. I see no comparison between Bradie and Zhenya stylistically.

I'm perplexed as to why we're talking about Zhenya in a US Championship Thread!!!! We all have a ton respect for her but, I don't talk about Bradie in the Russian Thread and I don't think this conversation belongs here.

ks777

Record Breaker
Bradie reminds me a bit of Sarah Hughes in 2000. You could see that she was going to be great but, she just wasn't quite ready for the big time. She improved and took the Bronze at Worlds in 2001 and we all know what happened in SLC. If Bradie wins this year, I don't have big expectations for her in Korea or at Worlds. If she can finish in the top 10 at either event, I think that will be a huge accomplishment.

not really. Sarah Hughes had one of the best camel and layback spins. Also she had beautiful spirals. Bradie is more like Kimmie Meissner who didn't really have anything special. She just landed her jumps like Bradie and no artistry or connection to music like Bradie too.

MiRé

Match Penalty
I will say......considering Bradie's music.....she will definitely make headlines in Korean news :p

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I was just happy to see Mirai and Karen smile. They had such rough seasons and it's nice to see hard work pay off. I hope they can pull it together in the FS.

I hope you're joking.

Maybe they mean that she can sell a program off-ice? She's certainly great at describing what actually happened in the program in the interviews. ;)

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Because Karen's SP is actually improved on the artistic side. It's mature, poised, elegant and basically a piece of art when clean. Ashley has a lot of gimmicky moves (fist-pumping and bunny hops, really?) and had a small hiccup on one of her twizzles. The program itself is just not comparable to the piece of art of both composition and class that is Karen's SP. Also, Karen does have a presence on the ice that is not just "hey look at me I am a confident diva", but more like MK, really flowing with the music..

While I have to say that I disagree with most of this, this isn't saying that they are tired of Ashley's program, this is saying that they like it less than Karen's.

mrrice

Record Breaker
not really. Sarah Hughes had one of the best camel and layback spins. Also she had beautiful spirals. Bradie is more like Kimmie Meissner who didn't really have anything special. She just landed her jumps like Bradie and no artistry or connection to music like Bradie too.

Unfortunately, I was never able to see Kimmie skate in person. I will say that Sarah had beautiful spins and nice spirals. However, she had a very noticable flutz and didn't have the greatest posture. In that way, Bradie reminds me of Sarah. Like Sarah, Bradie has good spins, pretty costumes, and great packaging. She just needs to mature.

I saw Sarah Hughes at Worlds in 1999 and again in 2001. She was much taller in 2001 and had really grown into her long limbs. No longer "Coltish" her mule kick from 1999 was gone and she was fantastic. I'm hoping for the same with Bradie. What they both have/had in common is their mental toughness. Sarah rarely fell and seemed to handle pressure better than her much older teammates.

Zhenya is DIVINE

On the Ice
Country
Russia
I perplexed as to why we're talking about Zhenya in a US Championship Thread!!!! We all have a ton respect for her but, I don't talk about Bradie in the Russian Thread and I don't think this conversation belongs here.

I'm not the one who brought her up... But I think I'm entitled to defend myself when someone is trying to mock me or have a laugh at my expense. Not cool.

Sarah won the Olympics when she was 16 and skated her last Nationals at 17. Bradie will be 20 later this month so one would hope she'd have more maturity and presence on the ice at this point. She makes me long for the days of Rachael Flatt and that is troubling.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't get what's funny. Zhenya is exceptionally musical and can sell a program. I don't find her "artistically uninspiring" in the least. Maybe it would be funny if I did? Maybe that's the joke. No clue. I see no comparison between Bradie and Zhenya stylistically.

Let's not clog the board with an unseemly dispute.

Just call me on Evgenia's artistically inspiring pretend telephone, and we'll sort this out.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Mirai landed the 3A abruptly, on two feet, then stepped out of it and put a hand down. It was a hot mess. A jump must be landed on ONE foot to be completely rotated. Mirai's 3A was not, yet the tech team let her have it anyway. That is not fair to skaters who DID fully rotate and land their jumps, as well as unfair to skaters who URd their jumps and got gigged for it.

If Mirai gets uncalled URs in her FS and wins over a clean Bradie, that will be a HUGE scandal. It won't help Mirai at the Olympics in the long run, because international tech teams haven't been kind to her when it comes to URs, especially on her 3As. Most of her 3As have not been ratified internationally.

I don’t understand what you’re saying here. You determine the rotation of the jump by where the skater took off and where the skater landed, NOT by how many feet they landed on. So even a two-footed jump can be fully rotated. It’s not likely, yes, but Mirai’s 3A here was fully rotated even with the huge step-out.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think we all are excited and very keen (well we are on this site lol) about skating. And we just take in every breath, every stumble, every flow from every landing...but this is one event and the short program one part of the whole competition. We tend to be swayed like we are chasing someone in hide and seek but we shouldn't jump the band wagon and say the USFA is dropping Ashley or Bradie is the new Gracie or saviour to US skating.

Bradie obviously has talent and those of us who watched before could see she had the potential and huge jumps. Almost a bit like Maria Sotskova we need to see some consistency - I think Maria has done that though she did show nerves at Russian Nationals. Obviously Bradie has some great jumps and some artistry and it will be awesome to see how she develops. She very well could be the new US no. 1 lady and has shown strong signs of her ability with Skate America and even some of her past skates but she has not built up the body of work yet so let's wait and see how she does in the long program. I am hopeful but she still needs a bit more strong results internationally.

The PCS imho were odd. Honestly, not saying they should, the judges could have had Ashley and Mirai and others higher pc wise and it would not be shocking to see Mirai in first. One can argue this is great that it is no longer "reputation" judging but I think some people might feel Bradie's PCS were too high comparatively - we of course will forget about National inflation or gifting - that is a given in the US, Canada, Russia - well anywhere.

Angela Wang has the full package and it is nice to see Mariah and Polina not give up. I am not sure Polina has had enough time to get a longer program up to snuff so we will see but I like her attitude she is not giving up. A little sad to see Caroline Zhang not get the speed and power one would hope she would have developed as a 2008 world junior champ - I think that is when she won. Courtney, Starr, and several others could have been the Bradie - it is about timing and about getting it together. I think the American ladies have a lot of talent - they just need a few or even one to own it - easier said then done. A skater to distinguish themselves as the it girl/woman - not to insult anyone. It is easier said then done. No one wants to fall or not win but even if Bradie wins she must show the world she is the real deal by holding up under pressure internationally when the world knows she is a threat or the American champion. SHe might have the goods:)

It is not the time to assume Ashley is finished.

A quick comment about Mirai's triple axel - as long as it does not kill or drain her for the rest of the program (long or short) it is very smart. Even a two foot, messy landing as long as it is fully rotated it is worth more than a double axel even if it is a double axel done in the second half. It is like a triple jump and not even a salchow or toe loop but a positive GOE triple loop or flip (if what I heard is correct she got 6.3 pts for her triple axel in the short). So very wise - with the provisio it did not kill the rest of the program.

As for using or reusing programs I believe it is de rigeur and if skated well the judges will reward. The scoring system really does not consider reusing programs. I am curious though Chen and Wagner who have switched or constantly switched programs just how smooth they will be. I think you have to really commit to a program and go for it. If you are switching it means you are unsure - but a reliable old program is like a well worn pair of jeans - some times it gives you the confidence to really get the job done.

Skating skills = currently none of the Americans have the edges or flow of the "top" skaters despite the criticisms of Evgenia, Osmond and Kostner. Arguably they do not even have the power. Though I was quite surprised to see the artist Kostner long program and I am not nearly as educated as many of you - she really telegraphs imho her jumps. But you all may tell me I am crazy. It was just my uneducated assessment. I think we are loo king forward to an exciting long program. Now depending on what happens Sunday morning may create a cliff hanger - who gets on the Olympic team and will the battle continue at 4CC's?

lavender

Record Breaker
I guess I'm off my game. How in the world did I not know it's Nationals. I just started laughing at myself. The only reason I knew is because skating videos showed up in my youtube subscriptions.
:laugh: