2018 Worlds Ladies Short Program | Page 77 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Ladies Short Program

Leelee425

On the Ice
I must admit that I don't really see the greatness in Carolina. Our Swedish commentator (former skater Filip Stiller) said it was the best he'd ever seen and wanted the judges to push the 10 button for PCS. Obviously, he's more experienced than me, but what IS he seeing that I don't?? When Carolina skates I sometimes get the feeling she has a coffee cup with her and takes a break now and then to take a sip. It's that slow.
Alina, on the other hand, I just get exhausted by watching her. A lot is going on, never a dull moment.
I get it that Carolina gets more PCS marks for her smoothness over Alina - but Carolina's tech mark!!??!! In my book that was at least 5 points, maybe more, less difficult than Alina's. But there was only 1 TES point between them in the end.
I have this strange feeling that come Friday, Alina's brilliant long skate will not overtake Carolina's. I hope I'm wrong.
And I can't believe that I will have to root for Sotskova on Friday so that Russia won't lose a spot next year, which would be a CRIME if it happens.

Whether or not you find her performance engaging wouldn’t effect her technical score though, that would be in the artistic mark. I understand why her technical was up there with Alina’s, yes Alina has the base value but her landing on the second triple in her combo was a little off balance whereas Carolina executed everything with great quality today. Carolina deserves her placement heading into the free, whether or not her and Alina should be as separated from the rest of the field may be a different story. If your an Alina fan though I wouldn’t get too worried, she’s come from way farther behind in the grand Prixs to win them with her difficult free program whereas Carolina has dropped in place. Base value will already give Alina an advantage, all the pressure is really on Caro to be perfect.

Globetrotter

Medalist
NOPE, that's not okay. I SWEAR, if Carolina is propped up again in the free and wins over Alina on the basis of 75 PCS and 50 tech, I'm done with GS.

Why is it that when it comes to CaroK, you have such a vitriolic and blinkered response? I do agree that there had been past moments when CaroK had been massively overscored but not here. She was clearly cleaner and better than Zagi who was massively overscored in +GOE for a messed up landing. Zagi’s PCS also deserved much lesser than usual as she was out of sync and trying to play catch up and rushed all her movements even more than usual. That she got a 37 PCS which was higher than Satoko or Kaetlyn and got better SS component (wtf was that??) was arguably as overscored. Why target all the unhappiness on a squeaky clean CaroK without considering your fave after Med simply was not showing her best? Come on, you are usually better than this. Let’s stick to the actual performance delivered and not anticipate the next catastrophe.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Caught up on some of the ladies since I couldn't stay up to watch anyone after Kailani.

Firstly, not sure so many people are bagging out Stanislava K, fall aside I really enjoyed her program and thought she moved well to the music! I guess I can see the discontent about her being at both Junior and Senior Worlds, but that's more on the Russian Fed's head then hers.

Ivett Toth still has the greatest SP!! I'm so glad to see she qualified, although her FS is such a 180 it's strange, but go Ivett, go!

I was also really happy to see Li'l Bet was OK with the jumps today, hopefully her hip (?) is feel better now. Although no mother in the KnC today! Nice to see BOser though!

I haven't been able to watch Alina or Maria because for some reason their videos keep disappearing before I can view them, weird.

On a final note...am I the only one who keeps reading the name of the stadium here as Melodium stadium :laugh: it keeps throwing me off!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It is difficult to explain but maybe it's her charm and her presence on the ice? And she has a beautiful face too.

I will give you an example: I watched the Games with someone who is no figure skating fan. I needed to explain the different type of jumps. :laugh2:
And that person loved Alina. And Kaetlyn. When the final results were shown I was asked: "Who is the girl in 4th place? I don't remember her." That was Satoko. In that moment I realized what Satoko's problem is. She is not memorable despite her beautiful skating.

"Memorable," like "taste," is not an absolute. People find different things memorable. And there's no arguing it. What are you going to do--try to persuade someone to remember a program? Good luck with that!

I speak from experience there. Heaven help me! LOL!

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I understand why her technical was up there with Alina’s
Yes, I understand that too. GOE's the main factor here. And what Carolina did she did it beautifully. But, I guess I'm realising here that I'm thinking the problem is with the base mark. A 3Lz-3Lo is MUCH more difficult than a 3F-3T. And although Alina's combo today wasn't the best we've seen, she should have been way ahead 'cause of that mark alone. On the other hand, I could say that if the TES difference should have been higher, maybe the PCS difference should have been higher too. But I won't say that...:noshake::)

Scott512

Record Breaker
I think this bonus could have been higher. If it was easy, the rest of the field would do it. But apparently few of them train that hard to be able to do it. Which is sad... ISU has to play with goe and pcs to create drama instead of pushing athletes to break records, they grant records. Otherwise Eteri's girls would blow the rest with a huge gap.
Again... Caro's TES is a joke to all those who train so hard to master difficult elements.

This qualifies as post of the day. Especially your second sentence.

thegreendestiny

On the Ice
Too many complaints as usual. I wonder how much point Zagitova will win after the LP. She should be at least 15 points ahead of her silver medalist.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Why is it that when it comes to CaroK, you have such a vitriolic and blinkered response? I do agree that there had been past moments when CaroK had been massively overscored but not here. She was clearly cleaner and better than Zagi who was massively overscored in +GOE for a messed up landing. Zagi’s PCS also deserved much lesser than usual as she was out of sync and trying to play catch up and rushed all her movements even more than usual. That she got a 37 PCS which was higher than Satoko or Kaetlyn and got better SS component (wtf was that??) was arguably as overscored. Why target all the unhappiness on a squeaky clean CaroK without considering your fave after Med simply was not showing her best? Come on, you are usually better than this. Let’s stick to the actual performance delivered and not anticipate the next catastrophe.

I agree with Carolina being ahead. But to correct you, Alina did in fact get negative GOE for her combo.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Alina does have great spins, but they’re not as amazing as people say they are. The only one that consistently deserves a +3 is the flying camel - beautiful positions, good speed, and impressive balancing. The other ones have okay speed, sometimes good balancing, but the positions aren’t as good.

Yes but she didn't get +3 for her flying camel. I think all her spins are amongst the fastest. The only thing is the layback position, I'm not a fan of. She should tilt her head back and bend her back more, like Radionova in her Bielmann. I love her combo spin to end off, again really fast and nice positions, showing flexibility. Not as much as someone like Lipnitskaya of course, but still much more than most. What I find best about her spins today though are the centering; she almost didn't travel at all you can see the perfect circle her blade makes in the ice. I think her combo should have had lower GOE, spins higher and the 2A, for once, higher. I'll never understand how the judges distribute scores though. Same goes for her PCS. Her skating skills should be low and transitions much higher but in the end it just all ends up being the same score.

bobbob

Medalist
Carolina should definitely be ahead and deserves her score, but as you see the home inflation was obvious. Alina's PCS who normally would have gotten OGM bonus went down, so did Katelyn's. And Satoko finally gets an UR!

Carolina with three major mistakes in the long will probably beat a clean but under-rotating Satoko, a clean-ish but not perfect Katelyn, and everyone else in the field squeaky clean except Alina.

moriel

Record Breaker
So Carolina was boring for you, seriously?! Maybe for me it is hard to grasp as she made me lose myself in that as I was totally engrossed by her skate and towards the end also it touched me to the core.

Everytime there's a post from you regarding Carolina Kostner it is always one full of negativity or even dare I say vitriol.

May the scales all off your eyes some day, you're losing a lot and you'll come to realize finally, I hope so.

Oh, its not just Spiral.
Caro is boring. Come on, about 1/5th of her skate is jump setups. How can it be fun?

I´m not trying to be mean here, I just honestly dont get it =(

moriel

Record Breaker
Completely off, by reading the internets, i just realized that Mishin should really hope Caro does not win.

Basically, in Russia, some coaches, such as Eteri and Mishin, get funded by state ($$$ and free ice time, for instance). So, unlike someone like Orser, who can have business relationships just fine with foreign skaters, Mishin can be in a rather weird situation as he is paid and supported by Russia, and then he coaches foreign skaters who can beat russian skaters. Actually there are some nasty comments already on this, on the line "we pay him with our taxes, and he coaches skaters who steal spots from our skaters".

Actually, Eteri is probably quite smart in not wanting to coach top foreign skater, patriotism aside.

Scott512

Record Breaker
NOPE, that's not okay. I SWEAR, if Carolina is propped up again in the free and wins over Alina on the basis of 75 PCS and 50 tech, I'm done with GS.

I have that funny feeling too. Alina will need to be exceptional friday.

Carolina is ending a fine career in style. A class zct. Younger skaters should admire her.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Completely off, by reading the internets, i just realized that Mishin should really hope Caro does not win.

Basically, in Russia, some coaches, such as Eteri and Mishin, get funded by state ($$$ and free ice time, for instance). So, unlike someone like Orser, who can have business relationships just fine with foreign skaters, Mishin can be in a rather weird situation as he is paid and supported by Russia, and then he coaches foreign skaters who can beat russian skaters. Actually there are some nasty comments already on this, on the line "we pay him with our taxes, and he coaches skaters who steal spots from our skaters".

Actually, Eteri is probably quite smart in not wanting to coach top foreign skater, patriotism aside.

I have the feeling he doesn't much care what anyone thinks. And I doubt he will be coaching for many more years. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but I feel like he's kind of over it all. He's hardly the first Russian coach to work with top foreign skaters...look at TAT, Morozov, etc.

I hardly think Caro is "stealing" spots. It's called competition and honestly, it gets boring when there are no strong foreign rivals (and I say that as someone who'd rather watch Russian skaters than Caro any day). It pushes everyone to get better. I'm sure having Caro in SPB has been beneficial to the local skaters in some ways too.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Poor girl. I feel for her and what shes going through. I miss Pogo and Radia as up and down as they are.

What she's going through? Poor girl? She's having the time of her life, getting all these assignments for doing the absolute least. What about what poor Polina, Stasya Gubanova, and Anna are going through?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have the feeling he doesn't much care what anyone thinks. And I doubt he will be coaching for many more years. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but I feel like he's kind of over it all. He's hardly the first Russian coach to work with top foreign skaters...look at TAT, Morozov, etc.

I hardly think Caro is "stealing" spots. It's called competition and honestly, it gets boring when there are no strong foreign rivals (and I say that as someone who'd rather watch Russian skaters than Caro any day). It pushes everyone to get better. I'm sure having Caro in SPB has been beneficial to the local skaters in some ways too.

I hear what you're saying, but if my American tax dollars were spent coaching Russians (or Canadians, for that matter), I'd be unhappy, too.

In reality, I'd bet Caroline pays for coaching, but how much of that offsets the Russian people's investment, I have no idea.

risingtrot

On the Ice
Got lost in the time schedule and timezone. I thought the competition will be tonight. I was wrong.^^

Haven't seen the videos yet but the GS conversations here have been interesting~

That said, I had to scroll down the protocol to see Wakaba's placement.

I am nervous for her FS and for that 3rd spot ;o Will she do another repeat of last year? ;o If she does, she should never be sent to Worlds ever again. Just kidding >< . But seriously, I hope she and all the rest of the skaters skate clean in the FS~

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I understand why her technical was up there with Alina’s, yes Alina has the base value but her landing on the second triple in her combo was a little off balance whereas Carolina executed everything with great quality today.

I really liked Caro's performance today. Don't agree that it should be above Zag, but still thought it was her first really extraordinary performance in the last two seasons. However, Caro's landing on the second jump of her combo was a little wonky. Maybe not as much as Zag, but still a little wonky. Didn't have the gorgeous flow of Kropa's 3T-3T for example (which I know is easier, but GOE is GOE).

Globetrotter

Medalist
Carolina should definitely be ahead and deserves her score, but as you see the home inflation was obvious. Alina's PCS who normally would have gotten OGM bonus went down, so did Katelyn's. And Satoko finally gets an UR!

Carolina with three major mistakes in the long will probably beat a clean but under-rotating Satoko, a clean-ish but not perfect Katelyn, and everyone else in the field squeaky clean except Alina.

Again, you are implying that reputation as OGM makes one entitled to getting high PCS which in my mind is patently wrong. Judges should score based on what the skater put on the ice. Zagi was very good at the olympics but it was just not the same performance. She was rushing even more than usual in this SP, she missed the music beat after a messy combo and was playing catch up which should really be penalised in the IN and CO. Her SS should no even be in the 8 range let along 9. That she still got 37 PCS with 9s throughout was already a massive reputation inflation if you had not realised.

That said, a 3 mistake LP that messes and interrupts the programme from CaroK will also not justify getting high PCS.