2019-2020 Programs by Discipline | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2019-2020 Programs by Discipline

Georgya

On the Ice
just 3 songs mixed together? is Daniil sick?:laugh: now i'm wondering how The Last temptation of Christ fits with Lawrence of Arabia and Ramses

Trend Allert: middle east

maybe it's just me, but i could never get to understand all the fuss around the cultural apropriation of Cleopatra stuff. Who are supposed to get offended? the ancient Egyptians? or better the Macedonian Greeks? (Cleopatra didn't have an ounce of egyptian blood, she was ethnically and culturally a Macedonian Greek)

i love this!

so she didn't ditch Twilight but just swapped it? :(

what is this thing russian guys have with Mozart Opera Rock? last year Morisi and this one Aliev? :biggrin: anyway i like it like as a guilty plasure; i also like Disturbed's Sound of Silence unlike many of you :biggrin:

Totally agree with you! I didn't want to replay to the OP because I find the comment misplaced Is she saying that people shouldn’t skate to music of other cultures? What about when Asian skaters skate to “white” music.... is that bad too? I simply ask, no offense intended!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As someone who is probably more familiar, by osmosis, with the ancient world than almost anyone on this Board, the point is not who or what Cleopatra was and ETA: what we think today she is.

The point is, what is Alina going to do? And if Alina is going to wear black cat-eye makeup and have a gold fringey costume necklace around her neck, then what the "real" Cleopatra was, doesn't matter, Alina's going with the Hollywood Cleopatra. And that is perceived as the Middle East;)

Don't get me wrong: I think if Alina wants to do Hollywood Cleopatra, she should do it and go for it, and God bless. (ETA: Certainly choosing Lawrence of Arabia music implies that it will be Hollywood.) But I will be completely and totally shocked if her program is some accurate historical representation. And it doesn't need to be :)

Last edited:

pearly

Record Breaker
just 3 songs mixed together? is Daniil sick?:laugh: now i'm wondering how The Last temptation of Christ fits with Lawrence of Arabia and Ramses

Not sure if you're joking or not. I thought these three songs have more in common than every single Great Gatsby medley we've seen in the past few years.

I honestly see little difference between these three pieces used for a Cleopatra program and Rika Kihira using a mix of pieces to portray the goddess of peace or whatever it was. Similar concepts.

enzet

On the Ice
I’m not sure why Cleopatra or any of those sources are considered warhorse material. Seems people are just looking for things to criticize.

Maybe because they have been skated to pretty often?

And especially because in an interview posted on this forum 4-12-2019 by Orlov, Daniil said:

Q: Any new ideas for next season?
A: Yes, but I won't talk yet.
Q: Some predict that Alina will be Esmeralda.
A: Definitely not. This season (laughs) I am full of comments that I choose music from "Golden Fund of figure skating".
Q: So we wait for something new?
A: Yes, as for Alina, it will definitely be something new.

Cleopatra as a theme or a character is nothing new and might have actually been done more than Esmeralda in the ladies category.

Lawrence of Arabia is nothing new and The Feeling Begins must be one of the most frequently used music when it comes Middle East-themed programs.

Of course, it could still turn out to be an amazing program and choreography (as was for example her Don Quixote FP), but when I heard "definitely something new," I guess I was just expecting...something new? :confused2:

colormyworld240

Medalist
Am I the only one glad Kostornaia isn't doing another lyrical piece that she's done the past few years? It makes the skater very generic. I'm actually glad she's doing the Twilight piece for her FP. From her interviews it sounds like she really liked the movie and it's a different style for her. It'll let her experiment with new styles and improve her range. The lyrical programs all looked the same... and we already know she's graceful.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Am I the only one glad Kostornaia isn't doing another lyrical piece that she's done the past few years? It makes the skater very generic. I'm actually glad she's doing the Twilight piece for her FP. From her interviews it sounds like she really liked the movie and it's a different style for her. It'll let her experiment with new styles and improve her range. The lyrical programs all looked the same... and we already know she's graceful.

I agree. It is something totally new for her.. she has fun with it and the program as a gala or show piece has been well recieved by audiences; when she skates it she draws the audience in completely. As a long program though I expect lots of technical changes, costume, etc, maybe even music cuts..

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'll be interested to see if these higher-profile, more-rewarded skaters get lambasted for cultural appropriation by the Twitter and Tumblr crowd for these programs the way she did, or if - as I suspect - fandom darlings are able to get away with a lot more on that front.

It will depend a lot, I think on what they do with the culture (okay yes, and how darling they actually are will count), both in program and costume. But anything that brings me the Lawrence of Arabia music I will cheer for (...unless they mess it up as they did Carmen this year) and from what I've seen of Alina, I think it will suit her beautifully.

ETA - I have just listened to the Hicham piece. Fine on its own but with the others....

Oh.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Of course, it could still turn out to be an amazing program and choreography (as was for example her Don Quixote FP), but when I heard "definitely something new," I guess I was just expecting...something new? :confused2:

I feel like this is maybe a new trend in "packaging." Pick a warhorse, mix it with something else, introduce it by a different name, and call it something different. (Carreira & Ponomarenko are doing this for the second season in a row).

Tarasova used to be a fan of giving programs a unique name so that people would think of them as something special. I can appreciate the concept, really. I find that I do remember programs by these names. But Clair de Lune, Malaguena, and The Feeling Begins are still Clair de Lune, Malaguena, and The Feeling Begins.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
:( I was looking forward to seeing Alyona interpret the Third Person soundtrack, and now it's Twilight as her FS...

I think it might be what Alyona herself also wanted to skate to, in addition to her team thinking it might be a good idea =)
I am not very informed about what teens of today are obsessed with, but if I recall, 10 years ago Twilight was every teen girls obsession,
so I guess I can totally understand if it's Alyona's wish to do it as well.
She's 15-16, it's that age when she's probably very into those types of stories.

And although I'm not a big fan of the story (and frankly don't know much about it, aside from the fact that it's a teenage vampire drama), I think it's good way for her to branch out from being a soft lyrical skater into something different.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Totally agree with you! I didn't want to replay to the OP because I find the comment misplaced Is she saying that people shouldn’t skate to music of other cultures? What about when Asian skaters skate to “white” music.... is that bad too? I simply ask, no offense intended!

i don't think she was and i was actually agreeing with her. about asians or any other ethnical group using any other culture stuff i couldn't tell :biggrin: i'm not so into this kind of arguments, i just heppen to stumble upon them from time to time and sometimes i find people just tend to overreact

Not sure if you're joking or not. I thought these three songs have more in common than every single Great Gatsby medley we've seen in the past few years.

I honestly see little difference between these three pieces used for a Cleopatra program and Rika Kihira using a mix of pieces to portray the goddess of peace or whatever it was. Similar concepts.

of course i was joking :biggrin: you know on GS we always complain about Danil G. mixing too many songs in one program

Roman Savosin
SP: “Bessarabia Gypsy Dance” from Igor Moiseev’s ballet, choreographer Anastasia Kazakova
FP: Tchaikovski’s “Piano Concerto No. 2” choreographer Nikolai Morozov
https://www.goldenskate.com/2019/07/roman-savosin/

i love both of them! the sp looks pretty original, at least to me.

Lambari

Final Flight
maybe it's just me, but i could never get to understand all the fuss around the cultural apropriation of Cleopatra stuff. Who are supposed to get offended? the ancient Egyptians? or better the Macedonian Greeks? (Cleopatra didn't have an ounce of egyptian blood, she was ethnically and culturally a Macedonian Greek

Totally agree with you! I didn't want to replay to the OP because I find the comment misplaced Is she saying that people shouldn’t skate to music of other cultures? What about when Asian skaters skate to “white” music.... is that bad too? I simply ask, no offense

I would lie If I say that I don't chuckle whenever there's an ice dance program set to Samba but there's suddenly a Rumba section, spanish lyrics or both because it "should fit the latin vibes" :laugh: Wouldn't use 'offended', but I can't speak for middle eastern people.

If I was acknowledgeable about Samba and actually cared I bet I would rivalize those who criticize to the maximum the music cuts for european classical music. Luckily I don't.. :laugh: