2019 Four Continents Ladies Free Skate | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2019 Four Continents Ladies Free Skate

DinkyD

Rinkside
Really? You're going to blame Tom Z because Ting has had a few inconsistent skates? Her technique is text book on those jumps.... = good coaching. She has lovely movement across the ice. She just needs to take hold of her nerves. Hopefully, she'll get a handle on them.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There will never be another as bad as the feet ad (at least I fervently hope not)

Give it time....I'm sure we'll see personal hygiene ads soon......or perhaps incontinence aids.

And your avatar successfully managed to distract me from reading your simple one-line reply. :laugh:

It's become a habit now......during the GP competitions, I had the feet as my avatar. For the US Nats, it was the bright yellow & red "Ollie's" ad. Now, I have Pac Man.

I think it's funny, but it ages pretty quickly, so I only keep them for a few days, and then I turn it back to a pic of me.

I can't wait to see what avatar I get for Worlds! :eeking:

champs

Final Flight
To all of you grumbling about the Japanese ladies programs being “soft and lyrical”, what’s wrong with that? Personally, I find soft and lyrical beautiful in figure skating.

The point of the discussion is more about the three programs being "soft and lyrical" or not, and similar in style to each other or not. I find the poster readernick's descriptions to be pretty much my own as well.

Someone above described Rika's movements "unfinished"; to me it's the word I would associate with Mai's upper body movements and never with Rika's FS this season.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
ladies are becoming as unpredictable as men :biggrin: (but maybe my predictions are safe)

Yi Christy LEUNG: the evil queen skating on Florence and the machine :luv17: :luv17: :luv17:

Larkyn AUSTMAN: finally on her feet! She made me enjoy her program and she skated her life out of it. she is talented and fierce, I love her presence on ice, now she has to work on her consistency.

Elizabet TURSYNBAEVA: the 1st senior lady to try a quad in a competition in the last years, kudos, also 1st Kazakhstan medal in ladies congratulations

Rika KIHIRA: congratulations! Being 5th in the short and then winning the competition it’s like a tradition :biggrin: (that 3A was to die for)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think i'm done rooting for certain skaters like Ting because i seem to go for the girls who can be brilliant one day then falling all over the ice the next. I'm not a fan of Tom Z but what he said is true she has to become stronger mentally if she wants to move up the ladder and make a run for 2022. She's too good to be falling 3 times like that.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Uhhhh, wow. I fell asleep mid-event last night and this is what I wake up to? :unsure: :eek: Interesting....

Well, off to the video thread I go.

viennaskater

Medalist
ladies are becoming as unpredictable as men :biggrin: (but maybe my predictions are safe)

Yi Christy LEUNG: the evil queen skating on Florence and the machine :luv17: :luv17: :luv17:

Larkyn AUSTMAN: finally on her feet! She made me enjoy her program and she skated her life out of it. she is talented and fierce, I love her presence on ice, now she has to work on her consistency.

Elizabet TURSYNBAEVA: the 1st senior lady to try a quad in a competition in the last years, kudos, also 1st Kazakhstan medal in ladies congratulations

Rika KIHIRA: congratulations! Being 5th in the short and then winning the competition it’s like a tradition :biggrin: (that 3A was to die for)

Well said. I would have take to Larkyn's FS more if she'd not chosen a warhorse like POTO. Should have taken a leaf out of Christy Leung's book, a la original music choice!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sambo 70 is equally bold as genius. By adding the inconsistent 4S (the only key is full rotation, a fall doesn't even matter), they could add a third triple-combination and they squeezed them all into the bonus. :laugh2: They would never let one tenth of a point on the table.

And somebody has to be the first to mention it: Lil'Bet went from Orser to Eteri and suddenly she gets consistent and her jumps look a lot better. :devil:

Based on a failed quad in one comp? :laugh:

Eteri may be a better coach for LilBet than Orser, she was her first coach after all;). But this is hardly Exhibit A for the superiority of Eteri :biggrin:

ETA: because every coach has strengths and weaknesses and no one coach is “better” than another.

Last edited:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Well said. I would have take to Larkyn's FS more if she'd not chosen a warhorse like POTO. Should have taken a leaf out of Christy Leung's book, a la original music choice!

i agree with you! also i think some florence's songs could suit larkyn well (i can picture her convey drama skating to seven devils or shake it out)

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker

Larkyn had a new FS choreographed to The Sound of Silence, of which she performed at SC High Performance Camp in the summer. Later, the POTO FS was brought back from two seasons ago because it was more familiar for her to perform it while recovering from injury.

viennaskater

Medalist
Larkyn had a new FS choreographed to The Sound of Silence, of which she performed at SC High Performance Camp in the summer. Later, the POTO FS was brought back from two seasons ago because it was more familiar for her to perform it while recovering from injury.

Ah. Didn't know that. Pity.

frida80

Record Breaker
Based on a failed quad in one comp? :laugh:

Eteri may be a better coach for LilBet than Orser, she was her first coach after all;). But this is hardly Exhibit A for the superiority of Eteri :biggrin:

ETA: because every coach has strengths and weaknesses and no one coach is “better” than another.

Sambo 70 knew it was better for Lil Bet to try and rotate a 4S. It gets more points that the substitute 2T. She should've been trying it years ago. We all know she's been training it for eons.

I'm super happy with Lil Bet's progress. Every year it looked like she wasn't improving, her jump rotation was getting worse, and she injuries just kept popping up. It's good to see her finally perform the way she's always been capable of performing. I'm not saying that BOrser wasn't a good coach. I think the situation with her visa made it impossible to gain any traction. Better if she trains in Russia, where she can have full time attention.

chloepoco

Medalist
Johnny is absolutely right. And yes, all three Japanese figure skaters have inexpressive, homogeneous, non-memorable programs.

And to this, I say to each his own! I loved Mai’s performance—I could watch it over and over and over.....

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Queen Rika hits all three of her triple axels, she could score over 160.

readernick

Medalist
Especially on the lutz and flip she had that weird leg position. And on the lutz it got soooo much better under Eteri. They corrected it within half a year.

Still has weird lutz and flip. Her jumps are still ugly but she landed them. So, there is that.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Especially on the lutz and flip she had that weird leg position. And on the lutz it got soooo much better under Eteri. They corrected it within half a year.

To my mind, she still has a weird air position, especially on the lutz. The only difference I can see in her skating is consistency and now a 4S attempt finally in competition. Which is, of course, a great achievement. Generally, it‘s crystal clear that Eteri‘s approach suits her better. This is individual for each athletes, there is no coach that fits every skater out there. I‘d say, good for Lil‘Bet. But that doesn‘t mean that her former team was bad or anything. Just that she, personally, works better with Eteri. :shrug:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist

THANK YOU.

As a huge, huge fan of both Brian and Eteri... clearly Eteri is better for Elizabet. At this moment.

I hate this whole Eteri vs. Brian thing. I love them both, and all their skaters. :cry:

readernick

Medalist
THANK YOU.

As a huge, huge fan of both Brian and Eteri... clearly Eteri is better for Elizabet. At this moment.

I hate this whole Eteri vs. Brian thing. I love them both, and all their skaters. :cry:

Yes, it is stupid to have such fights. They are both wonderful successful coaching teams with different approaches that work for different skaters.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Give it time....I'm sure we'll see personal hygiene ads soon......or perhaps incontinence aids.

It's become a habit now......during the GP competitions, I had the feet as my avatar. For the US Nats, it was the bright yellow & red "Ollie's" ad. Now, I have Pac Man.

I think it's funny, but it ages pretty quickly, so I only keep them for a few days, and then I turn it back to a pic of me.

I can't wait to see what avatar I get for Worlds! :eeking:

I can't wait either. :biggrin: