2019 Four Continents Ladies Free Skate | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2019 Four Continents Ladies Free Skate

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Give it time....I'm sure we'll see personal hygiene ads soon......or perhaps incontinence aids.

It's become a habit now......during the GP competitions, I had the feet as my avatar. For the US Nats, it was the bright yellow & red "Ollie's" ad. Now, I have Pac Man.

I think it's funny, but it ages pretty quickly, so I only keep them for a few days, and then I turn it back to a pic of me.

I can't wait to see what avatar I get for Worlds! :eeking:

The pac-man "ghosts" are by far my favorite "ad" this year.
I don't even have a clue what they are advertising????

rain

Record Breaker
I waited to post because I thought maybe I was just in a weird mood when I watched this, but I haven't changed my mind — I was bored. Bored, bored, bored.

Objectively, there were some good performances here. But I remember virtually nothing about anybody's program. It was all just paint by numbers, some more successful than others. It was all about ticking off elements; nobody made me FEEL anything. In that sense Mariah Bell is still easily my favourite, despite her less than stellar skate here. At least she knows how to present a program. She actually seems to understand how the music builds and is able to build and fall (not in the literal sense) with it.

Mihara's program was pretty, but forgettable. I've never felt anything watching Tursynbyeva, and that didn't change here. At times she seems to really struggle to cover the ice. Kihira's youth shows in that she can perform (as in, stick out her arm or leg at the right point in the music where the choreographer told her to), but not feel choreography.

I thought almost nobody deserved positive GOE on their footwork, although just about everyone got at least a few tenths. It was almost uniformly flailing, SLOW, awkward and ugly, and makes it look as if the competitors can barely skate. Oh, and it could be done to any piece of music, because it has nothing to do with whatever the skater happens to be performing to. At least one skater who obviously almost fell in the footwork got positive GOE! I wish the judges would stop rewarding these inferior passes that actually detract from the programs.

Give me some originality! Make me think you care about the choreography!

And that's my rant.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The pac-man "ghosts" are by far my favorite "ad" this year.
I don't even have a clue what they are advertising????

I believe it's an ad for Bandai Namco, the company that makes video games. I'm assuming Pac Man was one of their creations.

Joekaz

On the Ice
I waited to post because I thought maybe I was just in a weird mood when I watched this, but I haven't changed my mind — I was bored. Bored, bored, bored.

Objectively, there were some good performances here. But I remember virtually nothing about anybody's program. It was all just paint by numbers, some more successful than others. It was all about ticking off elements; nobody made me FEEL anything. In that sense Mariah Bell is still easily my favourite, despite here less than stellar skate here. At least she knows how to present a program. She actually seems to understand how the music builds and is able to build and fall (not in the literal sense) with it.

Mihara's program was pretty, but forgettable. I've never felt anything watching Tursynbyeva, and that didn't change here. At times she seems to really struggle to cover the ice. Kihira's youth shows in that she can perform (as in, stick out her arm or leg at the right point in the music where the choreographer told her to), but not feel choreography.

I thought almost nobody deserved positive GOE on their footwork, although just about everyone got at least a few tenths. It was almost uniformly flailing, SLOW, awkward and ugly, and makes it look as if the competitors can barely skate. Oh, and it could be done to any piece of music, because it has nothing to do with whatever the skater happens to be performing to. At least one skater who obviously almost fell in the footwork got positive GOE! I wish the judges would stop rewarding these inferior passes that actually detract from the programs.

Give me some originality! Make me think you care about the choreography!

And that's my rant.
I agree. Makes you miss the 6.0. They don't reward originality either. I think the only fresh program I saw was Higuchi energia short. And the PCS scoring this year has almost no artistic correlation with the skate, it only reaffirms the TES score. Add in the 5 point GOE and it seems like the ISU want skating to favor the younger jumpers over the older, more polished and skilled skaters. Politics is always involved in skating somewhere.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a wee reminder that an hour of highlights of the Ladies FS are starting NOW on British Eurosport 2.

Here is the link for the archived British Eurosport 2 highlights on the Player (starts at 11m 09s. Snowboarding highlights at start. WATTS Wintersports Special at 2m 46s. Pairs Free at 1h 04m 22s):
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/even...ionships/989cd53e-0f2e-4b66-b817-247a936bd457

Starting with #16 Mai Mihara

This will be followed by an hour of highlights of the Pairs Free at 18:00 GMT (starts in 55m from now)

Here is the link for the archived British Eurosport 2 highlights of the Pairs FS on the Player (starts at 4m 22s. Ladies Free highlights at start. Volta a la Communitat Valenciana cycling at 1h 01m 44s):
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/even...ionships/e058d7f2-1991-40d0-a4de-4cc060b0aafd

Starting with #2 Haven Denney / Brandon Frazier.

Simon Reed and Louise Walden (ISU Bio) on commentary.

Hope this helps.

CaroLiza_fan

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Sad for Kaori, but so happy for Mai Mihara! Her FS is so beautiful and she skated it with so much passion. I have loved it for the last two seasons. Well deserved medal for her.

And hey Lil Bet! Quad! Fall but quad! Dang girl!

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
And to this, I say to each his own! I loved Mai’s performance—I could watch it over and over and over.....
Agreed! Mai's performance is sublime and incredibly powerful. I really liked Kaori and Rika's performances too... subtle, refined, gorgeous.

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
THANK YOU.

As a huge, huge fan of both Brian and Eteri... clearly Eteri is better for Elizabet. At this moment.

I hate this whole Eteri vs. Brian thing. I love them both, and all their skaters. :cry:

I see much more sence in virtual opposition "Eteri vs Mie Hamada"

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Just a wee reminder that an hour of highlights of the Ladies FS are starting NOW on British Eurosport 2.

Here is the link for the archived British Eurosport 2 highlights on the Player (starts at 11m 09s. Snowboarding highlights at start. WATTS Wintersports Special at 2m 46s. Pairs Free at 1h 04m 22s):
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/even...ionships/989cd53e-0f2e-4b66-b817-247a936bd457

Starting with #16 Mai Mihara

This will be followed by an hour of highlights of the Pairs Free at 18:00 GMT (starts in 55m from now)

Here is the link for the archived British Eurosport 2 highlights of the Pairs FS on the Player (starts at 4m 22s. Ladies Free highlights at start. Volta a la Communitat Valenciana cycling at 1h 01m 44s):
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/even...ionships/e058d7f2-1991-40d0-a4de-4cc060b0aafd

Starting with #2 Haven Denney / Brandon Frazier.

Simon Reed and Louise Walden (ISU Bio) on commentary.

Hope this helps.

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks I’m gonna watch that on catch up right now.