2019 Four Continents: Men's Pregame Chat | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2019 Four Continents: Men's Pregame Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I’m wondering if some people don’t realize that Boyang beat Shoma here last year and that he had two very strong skates at Chinese Nationals at the end of December? If I recall, his total score was 300+. Even taking nationals inflation into account, unless there’s something we don’t know, I’m guessing he will do much better here than his international scores suggest.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I think Jason should try this 4S. His chance to metal is a bit slim here and even if he falls or UR, he just needs to get it out.

It is really all mental for Jason st this point for the quads. And if he keeps popping it, it will just play in his mind.

I would like Vincent to try his program with all triples given his UR, but without the PCs, he will continue to push for quads as a only way (at the moment) to be competitive and earn points.

Vincent chance are slim as well for a metal, so he should see what the new scoring system does to him when he goes very clean.

I agree that Jason should keep going for it. He doesn’t have anything to lose. He also said US Nationals was the first time he was landing it in official practice which is a positive step. He will eventually get it- it’s a process. He also needs to keep working on not popping other jumps should the quad not work out. He did better at Nationals minus the 3S.

I am really curious to see how Vincent scores and how his UR fare. I’m not holding my breath.

Honestly with the way this season has been I don’t think much would surprise me podium wise.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looks like Vincent is dead in the water: the Men's ATS is SHIN AMANO :palmf:

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Huh I thought he only did Ladies. In any case, it could also affect other skaters. Much as I love Jason, he has sometimes struggled with rotating the second 3A in the FS.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Huh I thought he only did Ladies. In any case, it could also affect other skaters. Much as I love Jason, he has sometimes struggled with rotating the second 3A in the FS.

I am a huge Jason fan and he looked relaxed and amazing out there today. Solid 3As

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ok, I dont know anything about skating but Uno looked good despite some painfull errors. Rest of US Team looked good to me. Left and ate and napped. No $5 coffee and $16 snacks for me. Welcome to LA

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok, I dont know anything about skating but Uno looked good despite some painfull errors. Rest of US Team looked good to me. Left and ate and napped. No $5 coffee and $16 snacks for me. Welcome to LA

Thanks for the updates Chris.:clap:
It was 65 degrees and sunny in Northeastern Pennsylvania today, I understand that was better weather than LA:laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

In that case, he's in trouble, because there was an UR on every jump pass in his SP runthrough.

That said, later in practice he did a couple of nicely rotated 3As.

Jason's 3As were spot on gorgeous today. Saw a couple of quad attempts, at least one stood up albeit UR.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Jun's 4t continues to evade him. Though, that would probably be solved if he didn't keep having boot fitting issues(seriously, what the heck? please let this get resolved soon) and wasn't still injured. Hope he's okay physically. Wonder how broken in his boots are.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
It was 65 degrees and sunny in Northeastern Pennsylvania today, I understand that was better weather than LA[emoji23]

Actually, it wasnt too bad. Saw a guy on a motorcycle in shorts. Cold as death in the arena. :(

readernick

Medalist
I’m wondering if some people don’t realize that Boyang beat Shoma here last year and that he had two very strong skates at Chinese Nationals at the end of December? If I recall, his total score was 300+. Even taking nationals inflation into account, unless there’s something we don’t know, I’m guessing he will do much better here than his international scores suggest.

You are right. I was not aware he had done so well at CN.I went and watched his Chinese nationals performances and they were a huge improvement. Could definitely be in the 260-270 range. But, I thought some jumps looked UR and not necessarily deserving of positive GOE so that 300 score was definitely inflated. He also looked really slow. I still think he won’t challenge a clean Uno but Shoma is often not clean and Boyang is known to do well when other fail so we will see. I was under rating his chances based on the GP results. He may do well here.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Per Jackie’s practice notes, everything seems pretty good for Shoma other than 4F - and doesn’t look like he will be doing 4S this competition. Boyang landed clean 4Lz in his run thru. Keegan also landed 4Lz and Nam had a good practice as well.

And also: ‘Tomoki Hiwatashi is absolutely coming into Four Continents with unprecedented swagger - performing this free skate like he is in total competition mode’
https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1092938466336301056?s=21

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I am a huge Jason fan and he looked relaxed and amazing out there today. Solid 3As

Thanks to you and Karne for the reports and to Courtney Milan on Twitter who posted a lot of video clips, including Jason’s SP! Looking forward to seeing it Thursday night and to seeing the FS in person on Saturday!

@readernick, I think that after the 4Z today, Boyang marked some of his run through, so hard to say where he’s at confidence and technique wise. He’s probably also still dealing with jet lag.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was 65 degrees and sunny in Northeastern Pennsylvania today, I understand that was better weather than LA:laugh:

North Carolina is having a bit of a heat wave, too---70's and sunny yesterday and today, close to 80 on Thursday.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Shin Amano is on the TP. Zhou is cancelled.

bobbob

Medalist
When did Jason land a rotated 4S in official practice? It is simply not true. I thought we all saw the ones he did at Nats and deemed them clearly UR.

Shin does not bode well for Vincent. To a lesser extent, this is also bad news for Jason Brown because of his 3A issues and quad. I don't know how Shin has dealt with Shoma's PR in the past, but Shoma in danger also does not do well with harsh UR panels.

To be honest no one is really immune from URs. I think if Boyang lands his jumps they are clean. But when he falls, they are often UR or even downgraded as well.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think the technical panel should be very strict with triple-triple combinations and triple axels regarding every skater and of course with all different quads.... Zhou is not the only one who needs to be scared because on Shin Amano.

readernick

Medalist
I think the technical panel should be very strict with triple-triple combinations and triple axels regarding every skater and of course with all different quads.... Zhou is not the only one who needs to be scared because on Shin Amano.

Definitely, all the top men have been called for UR this year at some point including Yuzuru, Nathan, Javier and Shoma. But, obviously some skaters are much more prone to UR than others. Unfortunately, Zhou is one of those skaters. Of course, we all hope he does well here and improves his UR problem.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
When did Jason land a rotated 4S in official practice? It is simply not true. I thought we all saw the ones he did at Nats and deemed them clearly UR.

Shin does not bode well for Vincent. To a lesser extent, this is also bad news for Jason Brown because of his 3A issues and quad. I don't know how Shin has dealt with Shoma's PR in the past, but Shoma in danger also does not do well with harsh UR panels.

To be honest no one is really immune from URs. I think if Boyang lands his jumps they are clean. But when he falls, they are often UR or even downgraded as well.

Where in this thread did anyone say Jason landed a fully-rotated quad in official practice? Have you attended every single official practice where he’s ever attempted a quad? If not, how do you know what’s true or not true? Regarding Nats practices specifically, have you seen anything other than the single grainy video clip posted in the main forum, which was only one quad attempt?

Status
Not open for further replies.