2019 Four Continents: Men's Pregame Chat | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2019 Four Continents: Men's Pregame Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbob

Medalist
After watching his FS runthrough today it doesn't even need to be Shin Amano. I counted six and the only reason that happened was because he popped the quad flip attempt to a 1F. I also got three on yesterday's SP runthrough. It's blatantly obvious.

But, just to be correct, I'm pretty sure Shin is not the controller. He's the ATS.

The run-throughs make me more confident about Vincent, to be honest. His landing rate on the quads (clean *looking* landing, neglecting UR for now) is higher than anyone else in the field in practice, by a considerable margin. In almost 40 quad attempts, he has popped only a handful and fallen on one. I agree many of them are UR but he rarely pops or falls, and the landings *look* clean, which ensure a decent amount of points even with UR calls. Shoma has only been able to do the 4T in practice, no 4F or 4S--the 4F has been a downgrade fall mess. Boyang has also demonstrated inconsistency. Cha has been a mess with the 4T and also to a lesser extent 4S. Uno and Cha have UR many of their quads (like Vincent), but fall/popped on the others (which Vincent has mostly not done). Jason has been 0 for X, as always. Vincent will obviously be knocked down due to UR, I agree, but man without UR calls I would legitimately predict him as top 2. Considering URs, though, I would predict him in 4th, which is a shame because honestly if he just rotated his jumps a little more he would look much better than Uno, Jin, and Cha do in practice right now.

century2009

On the Ice
Even if Jason falls or UR, he just need to do it already.

It feels like quads are just too much for him when even the new guys this season like Matteo and Tomoki are already putting it in this programs this year.

It feels like the "quad" is really now a mind game for him, which is not good because it is playing his mind too much.

I really hope he does it no matter what (I mean not popping it).

At the moment, to be competitive, Vincent really has no choice but to do quads. The mens field is too strong and he doesn't have the PCs so he must focus on his tech.

bobbob

Medalist
I don’t have a crystal ball, and it may well be that when his career is over, Jason will never have landed a fully-rotated 4S in official practice or in competition. But I really admire him for continuing to try to master something that’s clearly not easy for him, and I hope for his sake he succeeds.

It very well may be. I admire all skaters who attempt a quad. I particularly admire those who land them. Why doesn't anyone admire Vincent for trying a large number of quads as well?? I don't think quads are easy for anyone, everyone works incredibly hard to do a quad.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Jason’s quad is really a mind game at this point. He is physically capable- he just has to figure out how to not overthink it.

Jason and Vincent are both great for many reasons. We get it- some of you think Jason should just pack it in since in their opinion his inability to land a quad makes him ‘inferior’ somehow. I love Jason’s skating without a quad but I believe in him- my hope is no matter if it’s < I hope he rotates it.

Vincent’s UR problems hurt him internationally. There is no point in saying how you think he should get more credit because until he fixes them he won’t. It doesn’t matter how clean they look.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
It very well may be. I admire all skaters who attempt a quad. I particularly admire those who land them. Why doesn't anyone admire Vincent for trying a large number of quads as well?? I don't think quads are easy for anyone, everyone works incredibly hard to do a quad.

And it may well be that he does - only time will tell. :)

May I say that if you truly admire all skaters who attempt quads, your comments about Jason don’t really reflect that. In fact, I get the impression - whether you intend it or not - that you look down on him for not succeeding.

Regarding your previous post on attempted quads in practice at 4CCs, you didn’t cite your source. If you were there and you’re listing attempts you actually saw yourself in person, that’s kind of an important thing to mention, especially because Jackie Wong’s practice notes are different to yours with respect to < calls on quads for Jason (I didn’t compare Vincent).

Regarding Vincent, I can’t speak for “anyone” or “everyone,” and I think it’s probably a good idea not to assume anything, and instead ask each person why they do or don’t think a particular way. Speaking only for myself, my posts have been responsive to your comments on Jason; since he’s my favorite skater, it’s not surprising that I respond when I think you’re criticizing him unfairly or inaccurately.

As to Vincent, I can barely do a waltz jump myself, so of course I admire his athleticism and the fact that he attempts really difficult jumps. But what I admire more is the fact he’s trying to improve in other areas, and has had some success there. I do question whether he’s getting the best guidance from his coaching team as to quads, but that’s not a criticism of Vincent.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
All those ’eagle-eyes’ on Jason’s sal quad and Vincent’s under rotations :palmf:

Just :dance3: guys!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Y’all sleeping on an otherwise good competitive field at 4CC by going on and on quad rotations. Jason v. Vincent is also seriously so 2017. :yawn:

I am excited to see Donovan for the first time this season. I missed him. Also excited to see aJulian too. And Nic Nadeau’s Depeche Mode and Tomoki! And honestly I wish there were like double pewter medals cause I have so many people I can see on the podium.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I am excited to see Donovan for the first time this season. I missed him. Also excited to see aJulian too. And Nic Nadeau’s Depeche Mode and Tomoki!

All those! Tomoki is my favorite US 'junior'(actually he's older than Vincent) ...and Keegan :rock: Nam, Brendan, Junhwan and all of those I'm not familiar with. I'll try to get up as early as I can :) starts at 3.15 am for me. (if there is a stream)

:confused: now people also posts in the competition thread. Where do we go?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Because he's not doing quads. He's doing UR quads. You were undoubtedly one of those ones proclaiming that Jason didn't "have" the triple Axel because he would occasionally UR it - well, here you go - Vincent doesn't "have" a quad because he never rotates them!

https://twitter.com/ISU_Figure/status/1093408121773449216

Chih-i Tsao (TPE) has withdrawn due to an injury not healing in time, leaving 25 skaters for the SP. I sincerely would not want to be the SINGLE competitor who didn't qualify for the FS... :scard8:

My heart weeps for that guy. It truly does.

It's so cruel and mean. I am going to be so very sad for that guy (and have a dreadful feeling it could be Mark, after practice yesterday).

I am excited to see Donovan for the first time this season. I missed him. Also excited to see aJulian too. And Nic Nadeau’s Depeche Mode and Tomoki! And honestly I wish there were like double pewter medals cause I have so many people I can see on the podium.

Brendan landed some absolutely butter lovely 4S yesterday in practice and some Josh/Max-mode 3As. Gorgeous. And if Andrew lands his jumps in the SP the way he did in his runthrough yesterday you are all in for a treat!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Vincent's quad salchow attempts at the four continents:
4S
4S<
4S
4S<
4S<
4S
2S
4S
4S<
4S< (step)
4S
4S
4S (step)
pop rate: 8% ur/dg/bv reduction rate: 54% fall rate: 0% success rate: 46%.

Where'd you get this list, because I didn't see him rotate a single quad attempt yesterday, and his 3As were sketchy as heck too. Contrarily, Jason landed many beautiful 3As and though I didn't see him stand up on a rotated quad, one or two of his falls looked within the tolerance for calling full rotation.

bobbob

Medalist
Because he's not doing quads. He's doing UR quads. You were undoubtedly one of those ones proclaiming that Jason didn't "have" the triple Axel because he would occasionally UR it - well, here you go - Vincent doesn't "have" a quad because he never rotates them!

Where'd you get this list, because I didn't see him rotate a single quad attempt yesterday, and his 3As were sketchy as heck too. Contrarily, Jason landed many beautiful 3As and though I didn't see him stand up on a rotated quad, one or two of his falls looked within the tolerance for calling full rotation.

I saw several rotated ones in various practice videos, such as the one I linked. Jason did land some good 3As, I agree, so did Vincent. I never said Jason didn't have a triple axel...can you please find the quote where I said this? I said he has UR problems on the 3A in the second half of the free skate.

"Because he's not doing quads. He's doing UR quads." Are you talking about Jason or Vincent? If Jason, I agree, he's doing UR quads, not real quads. Vincent, he is doing quads but with a low rotation success rate. Vincent is trying to do real quads, he is rarely successful. Jason is attempting a UR quad, he knows he can't do a non UR quad. There is a big difference, fundamentally, between doing something you can do but not being successful and trying to "attempt" it even though you can't do it. Vincent is successful sometimes, Jason is successful never.

bobbob

Medalist
(Anyone who thinks Vincent's UR problem on the quads is worse than Jason's needs to get a grip ...) There is no such person. You are beating up on a straw man. ;)

See below.

You are asserting Jason is doing quads but Vincent isn't. Ok then.....give me a break....even the other Jason fans in this thread don't think this way....

Status
Not open for further replies.