2019 World Championships Free Dance | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2019 World Championships Free Dance

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
The protocols are very interesting. S/K overtook H/D in PCS, which was kind of expected.

C/B were the first team to drop below 9s in PCS, which is interesting. The judges went with them at their last competitions, so I am not sure what happened there.

Starting order happened. They didnt skate in the last group, the one where judges go the most with the teams. If they skated in the last group they would get higher PCS, i can bet on that too :)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Currently it's still being assumed that the music options are Broadway, musicals and operetta. The pattern dance is set as at least one section of Finnstep, though, we know that much.

The Finnstep again?! Wasn’t that the pattern for Sochi?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The Finnstep again?! Wasn’t that the pattern for Sochi?

I'm sure they chose Finnstep because they want to avoid program after program of overblown melodrama. You know, like PoTO. Les Miz. Miss Saigon. It's like how they choose a "fun" rhythm each Olympics because they know teams will be going for the Uber! Trauma! Drahmuh! in the FD because it's you know, So Much More Important. :rolleye:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Holy McMoly. Musicals are LIFE. LIFE, I tell you! Yuzudaughter and I have been to five of them in Toronto’s theatre district in the last four months.

Piper and Paul MUST skate to the Come From Away OST. I demand it. I’m currently using telepathy on Carol Lane right now. I can’t think of a better ID team to pull off a Newfie theme.

Now I just need a team for Dear Evan Hansen... hmmm... Ohh, that’s tough. Slight seque: I just saw it in Toronto ten days ago, and I swear I’m STILL crying after the fact. So so so good.

All Fosse musicals must be forbidden. Sigh. Well, maybe Chicago can stay... it’s always been one of my favourites.

POTO: automatic disqualification.

Ok, I’ll stop this thread derailment and let everyone resume their regularly scheduled post worlds bickering.

I LOVED Come from Away. Really, I felt so much better about Humans after seeing it.

I have always wanted someone to skate to the "Famous Feet" number from A Day in Hollywood/A Night in the Ukraine. And a woman really should skate to Dividing Day from A Light in the Piazza.

And
And
And

LOL!

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I LOVED Come from Away. Really, I felt so much better about Humans after seeing it.

I have always wanted someone to skate to the "Famous Feet" number from A Day in Hollywood/A Night in the Ukraine. And a woman really should skate to Dividing Day from A Light in the Piazza.

And
And
And

LOL!

There’s some hilarious irony going on here, seeing how I was born and bred in Newfoundland for the first few years of my life. I’d gladly give a stranger the shirt off my back, while simultaneously denying access to my internet’s wifi password. :laugh2:

cell

On the Ice
OMG I just saw Marco and Charlene pass by, and Marco is tiny!I know this is weird but I didn't realize that he was actually shorter than me, and I'm like 5'8''

I know he is short but not seeing him off ice you don't realize how short

Makes all those lifts more impressive

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Aaaaaaaand you just set someone the challenge of doing a Finnstep to Master of the House. :laugh:

LOL when I saw Les Miz and Master of the House started, I said to my sister, "We're in France, right? Why are all the poor people singing with Cockney accents? Did the cast of 'Oliver' wander in some time after the curtain went up and figured, what the bloody 'ell, we're 'ere so we're singing?"

;)

- - - Updated - - -

OOOOOO...if somebody does Oh Calucutta, does that mean somebody else will counter with Hair???

Well that would make for a very cheap costume budget now wouldn't it?

:laugh:

auser

Record Breaker
The best dance clubs in NY were always the gay discos. Same with the DJs. The top DJs in NYC for years were generally gay. Funny how that works out. And really disco started in black and gay clubs then filtered out from there. Paradise Garage was a legendary club in NYC and pretty much the epicenter of where disco really took off in the 1970s.
An interesting PBS Songwriter Hall of Fame for Nile Rogers broadcast recently illustrates your post. Nile Rogers recounts how his clubbing experiences and observations inspired his songwriting. In this example, writing "I'm Coming Out" for Diana Ross. For brevity I am posting a link to an earlier interview, but it conveys the same message: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjjDwycSq4k He said what you said but did not have your detail about the specific clubs

Astrid56

Final Flight
Starting order happened. They didnt skate in the last group, the one where judges go the most with the teams. If they skated in the last group they would get higher PCS, i can bet on that too :)

As soon as I saw C/B's placement in the Skating Order, I immediately thought they would not make it. Politics is playing a big part in Ice Dance. But I expected this outcome after seeing who's in the Judging/Technical Panel. I love P/C but they are consistently overscored. Geez, they're like the untouchables - the judges adore and revere them so much. I am so sick of ice-dancing politics.

Lota

Record Breaker
Well, I've had some time to think... and, yeah, I'm still bitter :mad: :hopelessness: I really really wanted S/B to medal. After the horridness of what happened to them with the Olympics (which has not yet been explained either to us or even them), I really wanted them to succeed this year and win a medal. Obviously, I know that that is not how medals are given out, but this year it felt like they reinvented themselves and had a really fair shot at winning bronze and didn't because this whole GOE situation in ice dance is a friggin mess. They still had a successful season and should be proud of themselves, I just hope that they don't feel too disheartened and come back next season strong once more :)

Roo87

Medalist
Holy McMoly. Musicals are LIFE. LIFE, I tell you! Yuzudaughter and I have been to five of them in Toronto’s theatre district in the last four months.

Piper and Paul MUST skate to the Come From Away OST. I demand it. I’m currently using telepathy on Carol Lane right now. I can’t think of a better ID team to pull off a Newfie theme. Someone just HAS to do it, we’ll be in Canada after all!

As a Newfie who’ll be attending worlds next year I’m 100% down with this!!!

glorybox6

Final Flight
The new GOE has caused ice dancing judging to revert to the days of 6.0/bloc judging. The teams are attaining the levels too easily and the judges’ inflated GOE and PCS are fully selecting the winners. This podium could have been predicted in October, just like it was in the ‘90s.

I don’t know what the solution is but the skaters, fans and all involved deserve better because this is 6.0 v2.0.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Well, I've had some time to think... and, yeah, I'm still bitter :mad: :hopelessness: I really really wanted S/B to medal. After the horridness of what happened to them with the Olympics (which has not yet been explained either to us or even them), I really wanted them to succeed this year and win a medal. Obviously, I know that that is not how medals are given out, but this year it felt like they reinvented themselves and had a really fair shot at winning bronze and didn't because this whole GOE situation in ice dance is a friggin mess. They still had a successful season and should be proud of themselves, I just hope that they don't feel too disheartened and come back next season strong once more :)

They are on the up! We will see them in Beijing I’m sure of it!