2019 World Juniors Free Dance | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2019 World Juniors Free Dance

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
5th highest TES; 4th highest PCS. 5th overall.

Yup, I don't see a problem with the judging either.

:biggrin:

Well, judges are not ranking/comparing skaters (This is not a 6.0 scoring system :biggrin:). They gave U/N all 8+ which means they think U/N are very good in any of PC categories. Also note that even if some got better marks nobody here got higher than 'very good' mark. They share the similar 'max' with the others... With what you were claiming before some would think they should be scored much lower than what their actual scores are and how their skating of a program as a whole is not good (when their scores and skating are saying otherwise)

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
They gave U/N 8+ which means they think U/N are very good in any of PC categories.

Reputation judging to a certain extent still from their former JWBM and JGPF silver. How they got the highest PCS for their RD mess (and program composition) still leaves me scatching my head.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Reputation judging to a certain extent still from their former JWBM and JGPF silver. How they got the highest PCS for their RD mess (and program composition) still leaves me scatching my head.

I think you are following different requirements for a skating program than the judges, so :biggrin:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Absolutely! You were amazing!! :thank: :love::thank: Weak Ankles!

Are you planning to do Senior Worlds?

I hope so!

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
I've just seen L/L's FD and I simply loved Romain's reaction to the scores. He was genuinely happy and excited.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I was travelling all afternoon and the videos took (what felt like) so long to appear on the ISU page so I've only just been able to watch. Is it sad that I've avoided all social media until I watched this (yes) but anyway, so far I've only watched the final group as the suspense was killing me!!

:yahoo: the podium is honestly my dream result!! And Avonley & Vadym in 4th!!! Honestly, I don't have much to say other than that. Go Marjorie and Zach -- so so well deserved and that dress really does suit a gold medal :cheer:

sidenode: the camera work was SO bad? It took away from some of it for me, but hey ho.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Thank you (in order of posts) Mrs P, Doris and LaArdilla. Honestly I wasn't fishing for a compliment, I was just remembering right before the season started and actually, for the first time in my life, looking up what the actual requirements for a RD and a FD were, and thinking, Goodness, I don't even skate. Not only do I not skate, I've never actually made it onto ice in rented skates for more than 30 seconds before causing bodily injury (hey, what's a twisted ankle between friends eh?). And now I can identify a choreographic character step sequence with all you people who actually DO skate. And I was also remembering spilling the damn mug of coffee when i was trying to type up the Belorussians FD and thinking, I bet Uncle Dick never spilled coffee when HE was doing PBP. So I was cracking up. So

:thank:

Seriously. I learn so much from all of you!

ETA: Now I will be gone the week before seniors. Unfortunately my Mom can't be left alone anymore (she has trouble forming new memories. I told her, You're a goldfish! Think of it this way: everything will be fresh and new! And I can borrow lots of money off you! She is good with the first part; not so much the second :() so between my sister and me we make sure someone is always with her. But seniors look good.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I was supposed to write thoughts yesterday, but life happened. I really enjoyed the competition, lots of talent and some of these FDs (also including some of other junior teams' ones that were not there) I liked even better than senior programs:). Maybe it us due to more youthful enthusiasm & energy expressed in their presentation, more of 'raw' emotion emanating from them that may sometimes mess technicalities, but makes the performance much more relatable.

Out of 3 Russian teams in final group, I enjoyed Sofia/Igor the most in pure sense of performance/interpretation impact - I really like that they were able to grow their material throughout the season, growing in terms of performance ability, connecting with audience and each other; Sofia for me wears her dancing heart on her sleeve and I really love it - she enjoys performing and truly wants to express every little emotion, they have a very good chemistry as a team with Igor and it showed strongly in the FD yesterday. I like that the program was more on quirky side than not, but creating unite & cohesive dynamism with the music, creating some sort of a storyline through movement (in holds and in separate dance breaks) and expressive demeanor. Out of 3 Russian teams I do think they have the least polished and honed pure 'skating skills' in terms of difficulty, BUT I do find them the most engaging and balanced as a team, with youthful energy, enthusiasm expressed in every performance; there's some kind of easiness in watching thrm, how they get into their programs TOGETHER - because there's always an unit watching them, their emotions and attitude always matching even when not in hold. For me, it is just easier to see a team there, the capability to pull off a program convincingly, not only well from technical standpoint - and I think that they have a room to grow and polish skills/technique to go with this sense of 'team' notion, some kind of 'brand' forming which is not so easy to get.

I found Elizaveta/Nikita the most polished and sleek out of 3 Russian teams, definitely the most 'glamourous' and grown-up up team. However, I find them maybe a tad too cold/mechanical sometimes, a bit bland on expression (especially him) - it could be the program or just the way they express themselves. I was quite impressed by their skill, way of partnering, nice quality in elements, it's just the overall performance impact was not as strong for me as other teams, namely Lajoie/Lagha, Nguyen/Kolesnik and Shevchenko/Eremenko. Side note - Elizaveta is so very beautiful, she reminds me a bit of Ksenia Stolbova!

I think that Arina and Maxim not necessarily regressed that much as just other teams progressed better with their material and in terms of partnership. I agree with Mrs. P on quirky programs and 'branding' - novelty and quirkiness need growth and progress in becoming more impactful, cohesive in the general appearance of such program; the difficulty of such 'out there'/original programs, concept lays fir me in right balancing between team and the idea, right measuring the original dose to make it interestingly appealing, not just by sole appeal in being different/interesting. My 'issue' watching Arina & Maxim this season is that they appear so individual and separate the way they perform/skate, which is not bad to see their skills and capability, but with expense on not seeing them much of a grown-up team/partnership in the same wavelenght (especially putting them in context of comparison to other teams); having this kind of impression myself, I do think that it makes this FD, with all due to its interesting/unique idea and quirk, much tougher 'sell' than it is from conceptual standpoint - the design of choreo alone made me focusing more of their individual characters, but it also made already 'busy' music even 'busier'. The program just did not 'gel' together between all factors for me this season: them as performers, music, choreo, attitude, concept and made it appear to be a difficult piece to develop in terms of projection I think. Out of curiosity I re-watched yesterday all of performances of that FD and guess what - I liked the very first one of it best: for me it had the best energy and freshness to it and somehow throughout the season it got lost, the performance quality fir me got 'heavier', more cluttered and detached from this energetic, quirky, slightly comedy/pastiche energy the music carries. I do wonder what's in store from them next season, how they will approach it, because they are certainly an interesting team with strong emphasis on individuality of both partners I feel, just not yet properly embraced I'd say.

I felt sad for Greens... I really like their programs, but it was visible that they missed GP season and that competitive rhythm. Still, I enjoyed that FD quite much and their skills, carriage, musicality.

I think that one of the good sides of camera work in Zagrzeb (;)) was to see a close-ups to dancers' facial expression and let me say this - I wish that everyone would experience performing the way Avonley Nguyen does it. She LIVES and BREATHES every little musical bit out there, capturing the authenticity and raw emotion of it, I got teared up seeing this and feeling such strong emotional connection between her and music, choreography, Vadym. She gets there and tells the story, her story, with such strong committment to it which is unique for such young person; her movement us so deliberate, powerful yet nuanced and effortless and her face makes the whole experience just real. She's already an exceptional performer herself, but also so engaged into performance she share with Vadym as her partner - that's what makes impact, to stand on your own as a skater, but amplify it by standing even stronger as a partner, and they manage to do it despite young partnership. I really love the way they captured the moment yesterday and the essence of music - I think that the choreo of that FD is very good and effective vehicle itself, in that 'dance-y', contemporary aesthetic, but it takes a team to full in the 'bare bones' of the program, making it alive for the audience and what a team it is! I felt electrified watching how they push that performance, growing up the climax of it, balancing powerful with subtle so well. Definitely my 2nd favourite performance yesterday.

First one being Marjorie and Zachary - for me the one that had the best balance between mature, sophisticated outlook and strong delivery, appearing senior yet having youthfulness and edge to it. Re-watching thi FD today, I though that ID nowadays, judging of it often does not recognize sole brilliance of a program concept or exceptional technicians/skilled skating presented - it seeks more for a balance between skill and they way it is delivered and LaLa team did it best yesterday in my opinion. Do they have the best, most refined skating skills/edge quality - I wouldn't say so, BUT do they make the most out of what they are capable of - absolutely; I fell in love with their programs from the very first showing of them, but it was apparent that they need to work on them and that hard work, dedication put inside these programs by both of them paid off this time. It was not an overnight process and I saw a lot more confident, powerful approach in terms of attack showed already at Nationals, embracing music and character stronger than before. I think they presented the best control in making the whole performance effortless and nuanced as 'grown-up' piece - there was an abandon there (particularly from Marjorie's expressive demeanor), but a confident one. The program itself gave me such 'vintage ID era' vibe, having such classical piece taken, but without unnecessary pathos/drama or too severe choreographical approach to it - I love that the choreo and expression were dynamic, full of vibrant energy and embraced these nuances in elegant yet thrilling manner, making performance a spectacle. I will repeat myself there, bc I sure said it before - Marjorie's arms/hands expressiveness outsells many Ice Dancers facial expressions for me, her hands have such exquisite finish to every note to that Concerto! And I really grew to appreciate this kind of 'opposite' balance between them/in their expression generally, but clashing beautifully, with same strong focus during every performance.