2019 World Juniors Free Dance | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2019 World Juniors Free Dance

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Miscellaneous thoughts:
--Lajoie/Lagha are absolutely ready for seniors next season. Canada placements get 3 spots for Jr Worlds next year.
--Internal Russian upset with K/N ahead of usually-favored S/E. U/N may need to revamp their entire approach or be eclipsed.
--N/K of USA great showing for first Jr. Worlds. Second-highest TES after L/L. Beat Greens by a lot. These two will be an interesting USA junior tussle next season, but I can see N/K passing the Greens internationally on a regular basis.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
i'm taking a shower and putting my face on (speaking of make up :biggrin:) see you for ladies fs :dev2:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For Elizaveta and Nikita to be the top Russia team here is an upset, so big congrats to them.

frida80

Record Breaker
I have absolutely zero complaints with the podium, but I kinda hoped that N/K would slip onto podium somehow... Oh well, they're young and they have a blindingly bright future together.

They get a small medal today. So there's that. But their both pretty young. They'll get their own jr world soon enough. There's no rush.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Zachary will take the medal, if you insist on giving it to him, but he will not be happy about it.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I have absolutely zero complaints with the podium, but I kinda hoped that N/K would slip onto podium somehow... Oh well, they're young and they have a blindingly bright future together.

I think the podium is correct. But in this field, for N/K to finish fourth is highly respectable...actually it's fantastic considering it's their first Jr Worlds. They beat last yr's Jr Worlds bronze medalists. I agree, very bright future.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Zachary gives some strong Scott Moir vibes, I dig that [emoji3] congrats to all medalists!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Dances from some other teams are all soft and lyrical, so what?

On the one hand, I agree with you that U/N are a nice blast of fresh air after so many midtempo romantic mush programs.

But I don't care that it's from a wild gyspy movie. I'm not watching the movie. I'm watching their dance. Once you remove the score from the visual content of the movie, it becomes something entirely different and needs to be evaluated in that specific context.

It's great that they both can create distinct characters, and to do so within the first moments of the dance. They exaggerate the wackiness however to the point where it is not only cartoonish, it's a total distraction from their fine skating skills. I'm not watching great steps or twizzles or spins; I'm agog at how OTT it is.

All they need to do is tone it down a bit so the focus in on the DANCE. Right now, they're not creating characters. They're creating caricatures.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I think the podium is correct. But in this field, for N/K to finish fourth is highly respectable...actually it's fantastic considering it's their first Jr Worlds. They beat last yr's Jr Worlds bronze medalists. I agree, very bright future.

I know in this level of competition 4th is a huge achievement, I just love them too much :drama: But they did lose levels in their RD and the top 3 teams did fantastically (I do love L/L's Warsaw Concerto btw) so as you said, correct podium. Fingers crossed for them to be on top next season ;)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
On the one hand, I agree with you that U/N are a nice blast of fresh air after so many midtempo romantic mush programs.

But I don't care that it's from a wild gyspy movie. I'm not watching the movie. I'm watching their dance. Once you remove the score from the visual content of the movie, it becomes something entirely different and needs to be evaluated in that specific context.

It's great that they both can create distinct characters, and to do so within the first moments of the dance. They exaggerate the wackiness however to the point where it is not only cartoonish, it's a total distraction from their fine skating skills. I'm not watching great steps or twizzles or spins; I'm agog at how OTT it is.

All they need to do is tone it down a bit so the focus in on the DANCE. Right now, they're not creating characters. They're creating caricatures.

I thought the Be Italian FD was a better balance last season. That one I enjoyed, even though it was over the top, but this one is too much for me.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Who will move up to seniors? L/L of course. Do K/N and S/E age out of juniors? I assume U/N will stay junior if they stay together. The Georgian team could move to seniors since they have no internal national competition, or they may stay junior and see if they can place upward. I can't see any of these USA teams moving up given how crowded and competitive senior dance is there. I like Gropman/Somerville but they may have reached a ceiling at their current level and have been in juniors for 4 years now. N/K and G/G have a lot of room for growth still on the junior circuit, and they are both young teams.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Both S/E and K/N are aging out, Russian ID is going to be something next season.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Again, I'm not watching the movie. I'm watching a Free Dance.

THAT is the whole point.

Yes, and I don't agree with those arguments. If you don't understand something, that doesn't mean that something is wrong or not correct, that only means that you don't have enough informatitions/knoweldge to understand it. For example I don't understand African tribal dances, which doesn't mean their 'type of dance' is not a dance!

readernick

Medalist
Great event! The top four teams were really fantastic! I assume that all teams on the podium will go senior next year.

I think it would be wise for N/K to stay in juniors. Senior ID in the USA is too crowded right now and they still have like 4 years of junior eligibilty.

zounger

Medalist
Agree. I hope they will have better programm next season. I don’t think they lacking against the other couples in this last group. But this music/program is not skatable. It difficult to digest it on ice and in the audience.