2020-21 Russian Nationals: Ladies' Short Program | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Nationals: Ladies' Short Program

Fluture

Record Breaker
She didn't at Euros. And the letter wasn't with regards to Anna. It was after a different competition with different skaters.

Euros was after CoC. And it doesn‘t ring a tiny bit suspicious that after that letter, Anna went from 5 edge calls to zero all season long?

She‘s not the only one who got this special treatment - Kostornaya and Zagitova, too, tend to have a flat edge on their lutzes. Medvedeva has a blatant flutz that was uncalled for ages but got called more or less consistently last season. It‘s just moe obvious in Shcherbakova‘s case because she jumped 5 lutzes across two programs last season that all went from ! and e to no call at all.

But yes, the letter was definitely in regards to both IdF and CoC.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
Euros was after CoC. And it doesn‘t ring a tiny bit suspicious that after that letter, Anna went from 5 edge calls to zero all season long?

She‘s not the only one who got this special treatment - Kostornaya and Zagitova, too, tend to have a flat edge on their lutzes. Medvedeva has a blatant flutz that was uncalled for ages but got called more or less consistently last season. It‘s just moe obvious in Shcherbakova‘s case because she jumped 5 lutzes across two programs last season that all went from ! and e to no call at all.

But yes, the letter was definitely in regards to both IdF and CoC.
She also went from essentially zero to 5 edge calls.

Really none of Russia's top skaters - and other Federation's top skaters for that matter - tend to get edge calls.

EDIT: These seems to imply it's only about IdF: https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1080121818.html https://rsport.ria.ru/20191112/1560855211.html

Last edited:

silveruskate

On the Ice
How exactly do you expect Russia to score their defending national senior and junior champions with the most distinguished resumes (of the field that is there) in the past year? Anna and Kamila (besides Alena) had the most successful seasons last year. Especially because they DO score very well internationally too. And they both have an artistry, especially Kamila but Anna also has a grace that transcends their programs.

Yes, they were both overscored but they weren't the only ones either. And Sasha has been crazily overscored in the past, as well. But they get high scores internationally as well and it's nationals.
Well Aliona with the most distinguished resume last year came to her first SP of the year with much lower PCS than before, while the two current darlings were given personal records. Hard to believe what you say under those circumstances.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
Well Aliona with the most distinguished resume last year came to her first SP of the year with much lower PCS than before, while the two current darlings were given personal records. Hard to believe what you say under those circumstances.
Alena didn't perform close to her peak, in either her technical elements, her spins, or her skating skills (she was missing her 3A, almost fell out of her spin, and did not interpret/perform anywhere near as well as she is capable of). I was comparing PCS at the same relative points in the season for that very reason. Anna, Kamila, Sasha, and Liza are all performing about as well as they are capable of, not even taking into account injuries and illnesses. So, all that to say, that's not even close to a fair comparison.

EDIT: Also are we really going to say that Alena isn't getting PCS?! She very clearly is. Or did you forget her 37.44 at Rostelecom? (With Russian judges btw.) She got a 38.31 at nationals last year and got a 36.02 at Euros. So she's clearly getting PCS despite not having her 3A and performing below the lofty expectations her stunning skating has left us to anticipate.

Last edited:

silveruskate

On the Ice
Alena didn't perform close to her peak, in either her technical elements, her spins, or her skating skills (she was missing her 3A, almost fell out of her spin, and did not interpret/perform anywhere near as well as she is capable of). I was comparing PCS at the same relative points in the season for that very reason. Anna, Kamila, Sasha, and Liza are all performing about as well as they are capable of, not even taking into account injuries and illnesses. So, all that to say, that's not even close to a fair comparison.
Missing 3A does not influence PCS, she did not actually fall out of her spin. YOU say she didn't perform as well. What happened is huge PCS reduction for Aliona and PCS records for the favoured skaters. Anna truly MESSED up her 3Lz-3Lo in Stage 3, had a bad flying camel like today, and still got *higher* PCS than her record at Stage 1. Even between programs for Anna alone there is a disconnect.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Well, this discussion is quite uninspired. Is this a latent commentary on the skating that went on?

(I)t is beginning to look like Shcherbakova will remain at the level of pretty skater without developing into anything greater than that.
A pretty skater with a trhee-quad LP including 2 quad Lutzes. ;)

Anyway, I like Trusova's chances. She didn't fall way behind on account of others doing triple Axels, which is really the only thing she has to worry about. She has a small PCS and GOE gap to make up, but now it's quad for quad in the LP.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
There is lobbying done for every Federation's number 1/2.
But to what extent, and who actually gets listened to? And when it fair or not? Russia has a big political machine and gets a lot of undeserved gifts.

Anyway, I would have ranked the Ladies in this SP as:

1. Alexandra Trusova
2. Kamila Valieva
3. Daria Usacheva
4. Anna Shcherbakova
5. Elizaveta Nugumanova
6. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

Fluture

Record Breaker
But to what extent, and who actually gets listened to? And when it fair or not? Russia has a big political machine and gets a lot of undeserved gifts.

Anyway, I would have ranked the Ladies in this SP as:

1. Alexandra Trusova
2. Kamila Valieva
3. Daria Usacheva
4. Anna Shcherbakova
5. Elizaveta Nugumanova
6. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
That‘s interesting, why do you have Anna so low? :scratch2:

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
Missing 3A does not influence PCS, she did not actually fall out of her spin. YOU say she didn't perform as well. What happened is huge PCS reduction for Aliona and PCS records for the favoured skaters. Anna truly MESSED up her 3Lz-3Lo in Stage 3, had a bad flying camel like today, and still got *higher* PCS than her record at Stage 1. Even between programs for Anna alone there is a disconnect.
That's why I'm not comparing between different competitions. I used the same competitions for all three because of that reason.

Also do you really think Aliona deserved her peak PCS at her first outing this year? I don't think Anna did at hers btw but that's why I'm not comparing across competitions. Ugh. That. Is. Literally. The. Point. There are discrepancies between competitions so when I compared PCS and scores for Anna, Sasha, Alena, and Liza (1) compared at competitions they were all at and (2) directly compared their short program results for all three. It's why i didn't compare with Liza's Golden Spin results and didn't include Russian Cup results. Because those are all different competitions and at different points of the season (so different levels of preparation and mindsets) with different judges. It's disingenuous.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
That‘s interesting, why do you have Anna so low? :scratch2:
Because she messed up her flying camel, doesn't deserve higher than +3 GOE on any tech element (I'd just give +2 for the 3Flip and step sequence), and Valieva/Usacheva are the more captivating performers.