2020-21 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2020-21 South Korean Figure Skating

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's basically decided, I don't think KSU is going to do something as radical as differ from tradition. Yelim, Haein, and Junhwan will be the singles team. Min/Eaton as our only ID team automatically get the spot but I have no idea what's going on with them.

I don't want to assume anything but after almost completely missing last season because of boot issues then not being able to train because of the pandemic... I'd have to think that she's semi-retired now. I say semi-retired because she may appear in events like the WSF when they get to happen again, we'll have to wait and see.

As for videos on YT, I haven't actively searched for them but my tesoro Younghyun's fanpage has a Youtube channel with his two performances (SP and FS), and my darling Junhwan's FS is here.

Edit: @surimi, check out gabb's channel(the one with my darling's FS), she has done great work by uploading all videos of the seniors
I found some individual performances on YT from these two posters. Between them I found most of the top skates except for Ah Sun Yun's short program...

These links probably won't last long as these posters tend to do a quick hit and then remove their skates.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
But Cha doesn't need the Taenung rink if he goes to Canada. Is it a recent change? I would think Cha has enough sponsporship money anyway. The CS comps are different, because Kim never needed those, but Cha does I guess. Or maybe the rules have changed, IDK.
Cha’s in a position to tell KFed that their idiocy is none of his business. This cockroach of a pandemic aside, he trains in Canada, not Korea. He’s also the only internationally competitive dude the country has. Call em bluff and say the hell with the ranking malarkey. Seriously . That’s what I would do if I were him. What are they even going to do about it? Not name him to the National team? Not give him international assignments? No, because they have no one else. Their idiocy has limits.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Cha’s in a position to tell KFed that their idiocy is none of his business. This cockroach of a pandemic aside, he trains in Canada, not Korea. He’s also the only internationally competitive dude the country has. Call em bluff and say the hell with the ranking malarkey. Seriously . That’s what I would do if I were him. What are they even going to do about it? Not name him to the National team? Not give him international assignments? No, because they have no one else. Their idiocy has limits.
Never underestimate the idiocy of KSU, that's all I can say

Briananing

On the Ice
I think elite athletes are exempt from those days of isolation.

Skaters & coaching team have to have negative PCR test 48 hours prior to arrival in Stockholm, and they all have to arrive on March 20, or 21 at the latest. Yes, those exact dates as listed on ISU guidelines. The event starts on March 24.
Wow i didn't know it would be this casual. Sweden covid cases must be relatively low then.

@Ichatdelune is there any news regarding You Young going full time training in Japan for the next season ? I m worried about her and still can't believe we wouldn't see her on Worlds. It's forseenable of course, but still just can't get around my head yet.

How do you guys think regarding Korea taking 3 spots for OG ? Is it possible ?

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
@Ichatdelune is there any news regarding You Young going full time training in Japan for the next season ? I m worried about her and still can't believe we wouldn't see her on Worlds. It's forseenable of course, but still just can't get around my head yet.

How do you guys think regarding Korea taking 3 spots for OG ? Is it possible ?
No news on Young so far, I'll post if I see news about changes to her training situation. And if you had asked me about 3 spots for ladies this time last year I'd have been quite hopeful, but now everything's changed thanks to the pandemic and I honestly don't know. But if you ask me our ladies do deserve 3 spots.

Dawn825

Medalist
Seems unlikely they'll get them. Yelim and Haein are both very inexperienced. I'm still assuming 3 Russians, RIka, Kaori, and Bradie have a decent lock on top six. That means the most Yelim could hope for at her best would be 7th, which wouldn't be enough.

Dawn825

Medalist
Has Young You been working with anyone this whole time she's been in Korea, or was she training herself? Also, I know she was supposed to be with Hamada this year, but when/why did she leave Tom Z?

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Has Young You been working with anyone this whole time she's been in Korea, or was she training herself? Also, I know she was supposed to be with Hamada this year, but when/why did she leave Tom Z?
I think earlier in the thread it was revealed that she's been alone, and not working with a coach except on video calls.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
As Skatesocs said she's been basically training alone except for the help of coach Jung Bokyung(Korean assistant coach with relations to Hamada Mie). She officially left Tom Z last season to the Hamada-Gambil teamup, and I'm not Young but I'd suspect that getting that 3A was a big reason in changing coaches.

Dawn825

Medalist
As Skatesocs said she's been basically training alone except for the help of coach Jung Bokyung(Korean assistant coach with relations to Hamada Mie). She officially left Tom Z last season to the Hamada-Gambil teamup, and I'm not Young but I'd suspect that getting that 3A was a big reason in changing coaches.
Meaning she went only for the triple axel and felt secure enough with it to leave? That's a little weird, why couldn't he teach her a quad too? Hamada wouldn't be able to, and I bet she could do one. Anyway, I don't know anything about Korean coaches or rinks, but is there a reason she can't train with Yelim's coach or Eunsoo's or someone, just for the interim?

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Meaning she went only for the triple axel and felt secure enough with it to leave? That's a little weird, why couldn't he teach her a quad too? Hamada wouldn't be able to, and I bet she could do one. Anyway, I don't know anything about Korean coaches or rinks, but is there a reason she can't train with Yelim's coach or Eunsoo's or someone, just for the interim?
Sorry, let me clarify: Tom Z wasn't getting her 3A rotated so she went to Hamada Mie, who indeed did get her 3A rotated. Tom Z once uploaded a video of Young trying a 4Lz so he was teaching her quads, but they weren't getting rotated either as far as I know. And Young was training quads before the pandemic hit so I don't know about Hamada Mie not being able to teach quads. Besides, there must've been other reasons, I'm not Young and I don't pretend to know her thought process. And she does have coach Jung for the moment, to train with other coaches you'd have to do paperwork and make it a transfer. It's the same situation as my darling Junhwan.

Dawn825

Medalist
Ok now I understand, thanks. I know it would be very difficult, but seeing as the pandemic has no clear end in sight, can she go to Japan and just stay there? She was able to fly for NHK. Obviously she couldn't go back and forth to see her family, but is there a reason she couldn't go back to living where she was and training with Hamada? Is Hamada even still coaching, between the pandemic and the allegations and whatnot? (Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate you lchatdelune ❤️ )

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Ok now I understand, thanks. I know it would be very difficult, but seeing as the pandemic has no clear end in sight, can she go to Japan and just stay there? She was able to fly for NHK. Obviously she couldn't go back and forth to see her family, but is there a reason she couldn't go back to living where she was and training with Hamada? Is Hamada even still coaching, between the pandemic and the allegations and whatnot? (Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate you lchatdelune ❤️ )
So this is speculation on my part but I don't think Young's coaching situation is like my darling Junhwan's, as in she doesn't belong fully in the Hamada Mie team like my darling does in TCC. She still lists Tammy Gambil along with Hamada Mie as her primary coaches, and most importantly her living situation is based in Korea. She flew between Colorado, Japan, and Korea throughout last season but she still lived with her family. Now I don't know the reason for that, it could be financial reasons, school reasons, or something completely different, but as far as I know she doesn't have a residence in Japan. Combine all this and it makes her living and training in Japan full-time quite unlikely, and that's not even taking the pandemic into account. NHK was a special case scenario, and besides before it was moved to the current idiotic date of now thanks to the pandemic fans were so worried that she might not have enough time to train for the Ranking Competition after she returned from NHK. As in, she had to come back to Korea anyway. And I think Hamada Mie is still coaching, but you'd be better off asking the Japanese ladies' thread to get better info on her situation. I do have to deal with real life so I'm not up-to-date on that issue.

Last edited:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Seems unlikely they'll get them. Yelim and Haein are both very inexperienced. I'm still assuming 3 Russians, RIka, Kaori, and Bradie have a decent lock on top six. That means the most Yelim could hope for at her best would be 7th, which wouldn't be enough.
Never underestimate the effects of quarantine and covid season! Could go a million ways. Yelim has a chance, but she has to be squeaky clean.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I would’ve sent Young You, and I would’ve gone lenient on her, were I in KSU‘s place.
Sending Haein and Yelim is fair, but at the same time, Young You is the only female skater in Korea, which has a potential to go for an Olympic podium. She’s got 3A - super weapon, which puts her among the tops in SP, she‘s landed 4Lo, I believe 4Lz too. They need to build her up, they need her to be considered an unbeatable #1 Korean lady going into Olympic season.
She’s been already building a momentum herself, by getting 4CC silver and a GP Canada medal. Keep building on this momentum KSU, instead of tearing her down.
This would not be fair to Yelim and Haein, but right now both don’t stand a chance for a podium at Olympics, and Young You does.
Have others shown the capability to land those jumps - no question. So far only Young You and Soyeon Ji showed they can.

Briananing

On the Ice
I would’ve sent Young You, and I would’ve gone lenient on her, were I in KSU‘s place.
Sending Haein and Yelim is fair, but at the same time, Young You is the only female skater in Korea, which has a potential to go for an Olympic podium. She’s got 3A - super weapon, which puts her among the tops in SP, she‘s landed 4Lo, I believe 4Lz too. They need to build her up, they need her to be considered an unbeatable #1 Korean lady going into Olympic season.
She’s been already building a momentum herself, by getting 4CC silver and a GP Canada medal. Keep building on this momentum KSU, instead of tearing her down.
This would not be fair to Yelim and Haein, but right now both don’t stand a chance for a podium at Olympics, and Young You does.
Have others shown the capability to land those jumps - no question. So far only Young You and Soyeon Ji showed they can.
I think even KSU wanted to send her, I mean YY waited quite a long time for her FS score. But then again, there is no predecessor of YY situation in Korea skating history (correct me if I m wrong though). To do that, they have to change the regulation first (meaning paperwork and all ), so it can not be done by this year World event. Even Junhwan, the only competitive International senior male skater they have, had to compete in so many domestic competitions to collect points for his Pyeongchang entry despite still recovering from injuries and had his training base in the other part of the world. This regulation was probably given because they don't want to give any privilege for any of their skater, but still it needs to be revised and study more as Korean skaters continue to grow. It s time for KSU to use their brain smh.

I just hope that YY would grow from this experience and sort out her training situation right after the ranking competition. This is a proof that she needs more than her jumps just like sasha. Both yelim and haein hopefully would do well and bring 3 spots for Korea next year. Eunsoo though, she needs to do everything that she could do to be accepted by Lambiel team then get a good PR team. NA coach doesn't seem to be possible at this point honestly. Girl is talented, but she would be passed down if she doesn't get it together quickly enough.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
As previously mentioned the Ranking Competition will be held March 12-14, and as 4CCs were cancelled this season it's only being held to determine who gets in the National Team. NT members are decided by combining the results of Nats and the Ranking Competition, the main team consists of 8 ladies and 4 men and the reserve team 9 ladies and 3 men. As always the distinction between seniors and juniors is domestic, i.e. not taking age into account.

KSU has announced that this time they'll livestream the competition, which should be on the KSU Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQiP3r1IkJ674-wDljllcpw
As I said I'd do for Nats (which ended up as it did), I'll post the individual stream links when they appear.

The following are the starting orders and the time schedule (all times KST, +9 UTC). Just as a FYI, the participants are more or less the same as Nats. And I've said enough about how opportune (not) this is so I'll refrain from saying anything further.

Starting Orders

Senior Men

G1
1 Kim Hyungyeom
2 Kim Hangil
3 Park Geonwoo
4 Lee Jaekeun

G2
5 Kyeong Jaeseok
6 Cha Junhwan
7 Jeong Deokhoon
8 Cha Younghyun
9 Lee Sihyeong

Senior Ladies

G1
1 Kang Eunsoo
2 Choi Hyunsoo
3 Kim Seoyoung
4 To Jihun
5 Yook Jungmin

G2
6 Lee Siwon
7 Jung Yean
8 Seo Yeeun
9 Lee Hyunsoo
10 Jeon Subeen

G3
11 Hwang Chaebin
12 Mo Jiwon
13 Moon Boin
14 Kang Jooha
15 Kim Haneul

G4
16 Park Yeonjeong
17 Kim Minchae
18 Ji Seoyeon
19 Lim Eunsoo
20 Kim Chaeyeon

G5
21 You Young
22 Wi Seoyoung
23 Lee Haein
24 Kim Yelim
25 Yun Ahsun

Junior Men

G1
1 Kim Yesung
2 Lee Junhyuk
3 Park Hyeonseo

Junior Ladies

G1
1 Son Gain
2 Lee Sebin
3 Yeon Chaeju
4 Lee Yeonwoo
5 Yeon Cheayi

G2
6 Shin Yoonjin
7 Jeong Minji
8 Kim Gyuri
9 Jeong Subin
10 Faith Shim Dallao
11 Cho Hayeon

G3
12 Lee Haena
13 Baek Kumgyung
14 Lim Chaeryeong
15 Choi Jian
16 Oh Dayeon
17 Jeon Yeonsoo

G4
18 Hwang Jiyoung
19 Cha Jungin
20 Lim Jiyoon
21 Kim Heaseo
22 Kang Yeonwoo
23 Shim Soi

G5
24 Jeon Seoyoung
25 Shin Jia
26 Cho Yubin
27 Song Siwoo
28 Lee Yelin
29 Han Heesue

Time Schedule

3/12

9:00-9:21 Junior Men SP
9:21-9:55 Junior Ladies G1
9:55-10:10 Ice resurfacing
10:10-10:46 Junior Ladies SP G2
10:46-11:22 Junior Ladies SP G3
11:22-11:37 Ice resurfacing
11:37-12:13 Junior Ladies SP G4
12:13-12:49 Junior Ladies SP G5

3/13

9:05-9:37 Senior Ladies SP G1
9:37-10:09 Senior Ladies SP G2
10:09-10:24 Ice Resurfacing
10:24-10:56 Senior Ladies SP G3
10:56-11:28 Senior Ladies SP G4
11:28-11:43 Ice resurfacing
11:43-12:15 Senior Ladies SP G5
12:15-12:43 Senior Men SP G1
12:43-12:58 Ice resurfacing
12:58-13:30 Senior Men SP G2
13:30-13:55 Junior Men FS
13:55-14:10 Ice resurfacing
14:10-14:54 Junior Ladies FS G1
14:54-15:38 Junior Ladies FS G2
15:38-15:53 Ice resurfacing
15:53-16:37 Junior Ladies FS G3
16:37-17:21 Junior Ladies FS G4

3/14

12:45-13:31 Senior Ladies FS G1
13:31-14:17 Senior Ladies FS G2
14:17-14:32 Ice resurfacing
14:32-15:18 Senior Ladies FS G3
15:18-16:04 Senior Ladies FS G4
16:04-16:19 Ice resurfacing
16:19-16:53 Senior Men FS G1
16:53-17:35 Senior Men FS G2

Last edited:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
So they’re indeed going with it, Jesus Christ. For some reason I was hoping not to see them on the entries list.
Good way to exhaust Jun and girls before worlds by having 3 competitions within 1 month.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
NT members are decided by combining the results of Nats and the Ranking Competition, the main team consists of 8 ladies and 4 men and the reserve team 9 ladies and 3 men.
It looks like the KSU grabbed one reserve spot from men in favour of ladies because of a deeper field there. So they are not as much stupid as Ichatdelune believes and have some sense. :biggrin: ;)

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
It looks like the KSU grabbed one reserve spot from men in favour of ladies because of a deeper field there. So they are not as much stupid as Ichatdelune believes and have some sense. :biggrin: ;)
While it's true that our ladies' field is deeper than the men's, you do have to take into account that we don't have much male skaters to begin with. Currently we only have two men in the reserve team because Sunghoon gave up skating to be an idol, that should tell you something. So no, KSU's stupidity knows no bounds and I'll have to die on that hill. Like, I desperately want to be wrong every time I proclaim the empty-headedness of KSU, but I've been let down so many times that I'll soon be going through the earth's mantle