2020-21 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2020-21 South Korean Figure Skating

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
When does the competition start? I put in my calendar March 12th. I can’t wait to watch the Koreans skate again, one more time.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
When does the competition start? I put in my calendar March 12th. I can’t wait to watch the Koreans skate again, one more time.
I have no idea which time zone you're in so I'm using KST(Korean Standard Time), but on the 12th(which is today for me currently) it's the juniors' SP, the 13th seniors' SP and juniors' FS, the 14th seniors' FS. I posted the specific time schedule and starting orders here and on the Ranking Competition thread.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ok. Perfect! So, I was right with March 12th. I’m in Canada, so, I usually watch at night. I will only watch Senior Ladies this time around. I’m excited!

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
So I've already posted this on the Ranking Competition thread, but just in case I'm posting how day 2 of the Ranking Competition can be watched:

The first three groups of ladies (G1, G2, G3) will be livestreamed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbeVyyqapFI

The last two groups of ladies (G4, G5) and the senior men (both G1 and G2) will be broadcasted on SPOTV Golf & Health: https://www.spotvnow.co.kr/ (probably not geoblocked, and if needed I'll post the specifics of accessing the stream on the website)

The juniors' FS will be livestreamed on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbv6DHUTdaQ

Videos of individual performances will be uploaded on the KSU blog, I'll be posting direct links to the blog posts on the Ranking Competition thread.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
A live results page next, KSU! :cheer2:

Not that it makes sense that they're doing the early groups on YT instead of the later ones :laugh:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
A live results page next, KSU! :cheer2:

Not that it makes sense that they're doing the early groups on YT instead of the later ones :laugh:
It's actually one of the rare few things that do make sense, they sold the broadcasting rights for the later groups to SPOTV and therefore legally can't livestream those skaters. Last season KBS Sports did the same thing with Nats (the Ranking Competition was neither broadcasted nor livestreamed back then, videos were uploaded on their KakaoTV channel which had geoblock smh)

And I'm never going to get my hopes up with KSU, but damn if they have gathered enough working braincells to do a livestream why can't they strive for a live results page

Skatesocs

Final Flight
It's actually one of the rare few things that do make sense, they sold the broadcasting rights for the later groups to SPOTV and therefore legally can't livestream those skaters. Last season KBS Sports did the same thing with Nats (the Ranking Competition was neither broadcasted nor livestreamed back then, videos were uploaded on their KakaoTV channel which had geoblock smh)
That's all well and good, but it still makes less sense to broadcast groups containing skaters we might never encounter internationally on an internationally known platform like YT. Hopefully, they can get to a better settlement next season.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
That's all well and good, but it still makes less sense to broadcast groups containing skaters we might never encounter internationally on an internationally known platform like YT. Hopefully, they can get to a better settlement next season.
So the thing is that the YT livestream isn't about promoting our skaters to a foreign audience, it's happening mainly because there aren't any spectators. They aren't earning revenue from the livestream, like it's not like Youtube pays them for it. And I'd like to point out that less recognized skaters also have a right to be shown to an international audience. I get that you're frustrated that the skaters you're interested in aren't livestreamed on Youtube, but it honestly feels like you're dismissing the skaters in the earlier flights as 'not worthy' and I wholeheartedly disagree with that. If I was reading your words crookedly I apologize.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I'm not "frustrated" lol, I'm not even going to watch Worlds. But it does make less sense to me to broadcast early groups and not the later groups on a YT stream. Maybe everyone does deserve recognition, but it's still true that the top flights are watched more often, and people will be vying for them more than the early ones :shrug: Just reality, IMO - how many people slog through the local comps vs national comps vs B series vs GP series vs 4CCs/Euros vs WCs vs Olympics? That will give you a hint.

It's OK if the KSU doesn't want to do it like that for whichever reason, but I don't agree with it, and it does make less sense to me.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I'm not "frustrated" lol, I'm not even going to watch Worlds. But it does make less sense to me to broadcast early groups and not the later groups on a YT stream. Maybe everyone does deserve recognition, but it's still true that the top flights are watched more often, and people will be vying for them more than the early ones :shrug: Just reality, IMO - how many people slog through the local comps vs national comps vs B series vs GP series vs 4CCs/Euros vs WCs vs Olympics? That will give you a hint.

It's OK if the KSU doesn't want to do it like that for whichever reason, but I don't agree with it, and it does make less sense to me.
But that's exactly why KSU sold the broadcasting rights for the later groups and not the earlier ones. Like, there is a demand for broadcasting rights for the later flights, i.e. revenue to be earned, so they sold the rights to SPOTV. Youtube doesn't pay KSU for the stream and neither do the viewers of the stream. Cable channels like SPOTV do. Bottom line, it's about money, not viewership (especially foreign viewership that KSU probably doesn't realize exists). You can think less of KSU as much as you want and I'd encourage you to do so but this is simple economics.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I'm not even going to watch Worlds.

wNmAdXG.jpg

katymay

Medalist
But that's exactly why KSU sold the broadcasting rights for the later groups and not the earlier ones. Like, there is a demand for broadcasting rights for the later flights, i.e. revenue to be earned, so they sold the rights to SPOTV. Youtube doesn't pay KSU for the stream and neither do the viewers of the stream. Cable channels like SPOTV do. Bottom line, it's about money, not viewership (especially foreign viewership that KSU probably doesn't realize exists). You can think less of KSU as much as you want and I'd encourage you to do so but this is simple economics.
Right now am I watching the juniors? You've worked very hard to clarify this for us, but I'm still confused. lol

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
No, my link says (23) 20/21 (KB)? So i'm on the wrong link. But the skaters were pretty good! They are resurfacing the link I"m watching. I think I was going by the schedule that it is Juniors right now. (Korea is a day ahead I know)
I'm distracted so I'm not quite sure I got your situation but I hope you're watching the right stream