2021-2022 Russian Men's Figure Skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 Russian Men's Figure Skating

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess... although elsewhere I read a Jewish fan's opinion, which was basically if you're not Jewish you have no right to "use" their history to create emotion in your program. I mean this is just one opinion that I read, but I'm seriously risk-adverse and if I was Misha that would certainly be enough to make me "Nope" right out of it. I mean it's the Olympic season, who needs to "poke the bear" as it were?

Exactly! And it didn't get much exposure so it's not like it's stale or something...I'll even take the weird black shirt from Worlds over the possible backlash SL could cause.
I regret Misha's choice of SL, but it has nothing to do with it being a "Jewish" piece of music. I decline to accept a definition of art that limits or excludes, except for hypothetical art that is dangerous to the viewer or denigrates humanity (I'd not support the use of a corpse in an installation, for example). Aside from that, the Holocaust had many non-Jewish victims.

While the movie SL focused on the plight of the Jews, the Nazi regime murdered millions of other ethnicities, religious believers, gay men and women, Romani (or gypsies, as I thought was the correct term until recently), the mentally challenged, and political opponents. Catholic Poles, expecially priests and nuns, were singled out, to cite one example. There was even a "Priest Barracks" at Dachau.

This is NOT to say that the Jews were not, by far, the most numerous of the victims, only that there were many others, too. The Holocaust was a crime against all humanity.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That's a good point @TontoK , I tend to over-react to things. I probably shouldn't give the Figure Skating Reddit so much credit. I just popped over there and was reminded why I avoid it. :laugh:

It just seems like a weird decision for Misha and/or Mishin to make. I can understand wanting to change programs, but why that music? It's a warhorse...might as well gone with PoTO.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@JustSomeGuy I get that. There seems to be no shortage of online participants who thrive on stirring up "controversy" where none really exists.

I generally just ignore them.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyway, any chance of us getting a master list of this season's programs added to the OP at all?

Amei

Record Breaker
It just seems like a weird decision for Misha and/or Mishin to make. I can understand wanting to change programs, but why that music? It's a warhorse...might as well gone with PoTO.

The whole Schindler's List soundtrack is quite beautiful, its a shame that so many people stick with just the 'theme' from the soundtrack.

With the exception of 1 other song, Yeroushalaim Chel Zahav, they could even leave it as a composition by John Williams and avoid controversy of being "manipulative" by some of using music related to a Holocaust themed movie.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well, setting aside Kolyada’s choices, I am actually looking forward to Samarin’s Matrix. There is something that makes sense to me about this pick. Good speed to him!
Ooo I missed this announcement! Sounds interesting indeed. Can't wait to see the costume 😉

Whenever someone announces the Matrix, I can't help but think about Brian Joubert.
I miss Brian J, is he still coaching I wonder... 🤔

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Whenever someone announces the Matrix, I can't help but think about Brian Joubert.
Well, that was before my times, so I just think about Sakomoto. But Samarin had that same kindda lanky and slightly awkward build as Reeves, so let’s see.

Amei

Record Breaker
Well, that was before my times, so I just think about Sakomoto. But Samarin had that same kindda lanky and slightly awkward build as Reeves, so let’s see.

He did a Matrix program multiple seasons like 3 or 4

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I miss Brian J, is he still coaching I wonder... 🤔
Yes, I think I spotted him at Tallink Hotels Cup with Lea Serna this past season, but it's hard to tell with the mask and the hat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKLN0EP-R5E

And to get this thread somewhat back on topic, my favourite figure skating rivalry will always be Brian J. and Plushenko in 2004 - those were great times! The step sequences, to die for! :drama:

Last edited:

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I sincerely hope not. Warhorse status aside, we already know that Brown is doing Schindler's List for the Olympic year, it's a program that's well liked by both the fans and the judges, I don't see Kolyada justifiably beating brown on PCS unless Brown makes a lot of mistakes and if he can get the 4T stable enough for both programs Kolyada won't be able to rely on TES to beat him either. Honestly it's not a comparison I would be looking to invite if I were him.
Especially as it wasn't that long ago that Yulia did her Schindler's List program..

Kolyada is stunning but...so is Brown.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I didn’t spot Gumennik at all, so I am glad he got one. Honestly, all three has higher level of accomplishment than Samsonov. So either Samsonov has made a miraculous recovery and strides toward stability, or Mozalev and Gumennik are both still injured (and I am praying they are not) and Kondartyuk just can’t confirm his break out results? I mean, RusFed is as savvy as it gets in selecting. But still, Samsonov over Mozalev, let alone Boyang? Pretty much everywhere Samsonov did well, Mozalev did better. I am seriously curious now to see where Samsonov is at to get this ticket.
I'm not sure what Boyang has to do with Samsonov's spots. It's not the RusFed's fault that Boyang is criminally underrated by his OWN federation.

Kittosuni

Medalist
I get that Rusfed is powerful but I don't think Feds like Canada will just bow down to what Rusfed dictates.

Samsonov getting 2 invitations is more likely because they think he is less threat compared to his country men.

Samsonov is an amazing skater but lets get real,being first year senior with his injuries and consistency getting down hill, he is perceived as less threat compared to the likes of Mozalev or Gumennik. The likes of Canada can see right thru that.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I get that Rusfed is powerful but I don't think Feds like Canada will just bow down to what Rusfed dictates.

Samsonov getting 2 invitations is more likely because they think he is less threat compared to his country men.

Samsonov is an amazing skater but lets get real,being first year senior with his injuries and consistency getting down hill, he is perceived as less threat compared to the likes of Mozalev or Gumennik. The likes of Canada can see right thru that.
That's not the case. Quite simply, Skate Canada doesn't do that. Even Meagan has said that Canada doesn't try to "protect" their skaters from "threats". For pairs, while D/R were a top pairs team, Canada would invite all the other top pairs skaters too. They actually would prefer to have a competition where top talent is showcased, then try to ensure better rankings for their own skaters.

I mean look at the men's field at Skate Canada this year. Nathan Chen and Jason Brown are there. Now, Nathan Chen is seeded and could pick. However, no one trying to protect their own skaters would invite Jason Brown. Also, that's completely ridiculous as Daniil isn't even there. Furthermore, look at the ladies field!! It's arguably the most stacked field on the entire GP.

And looking at where Daniil DID get assigned, neither the USFed or JapanFed did that haha. Shoma Uno is going to Skate America (and he wasn't seeded.) The ladies at Skate America is one of the most stacked fields on the GP with Sasha, Daria, Kaori, and Young, etc all of whom can beat Bradie and Amber. As for NHK, Japan themselves chose to have Shoma and Yuzuru AND Rika and Kaori face each other there. For ladies, they also have Sasha, Daria, Young, Amber, and Alysa. (They've invited - other than Sasha who was seeded - 4 skaters with 3As as well as Kaori as a challenge to their OWN top skater - Rika.)

Finally, as for the "being a first year senior with his injuries" and "compared to the likes of Mozalev and Gumennik", that makes even less sense. First of all, all three are first year international seniors - they all competed on the junior circuit in 2019-2020. Second of all, Petr has had his own injuries and consistency issues last year. In fact, those back injuries, resulted in him placing 7th at Russian Nationals.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@chasingneverland You've made a good point about "protecting" skaters in GP events... or rather "not protecting" them.

I think particularly in an Olympic year, the skaters are keeping their eyes on the prize... and the prize for the top skaters is not GP Medals.

I don't think it's any surprise that Nathan Chen, who presumably had first pick of all men, chose the two events that have the least amount of travel, will cause the least disruption to his training plans, and which will be over early in the season so he can focus on more important matters down the homestretch.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
The latest rumours are Russian Junior Test Skates will take place from 3rd to 4th August in Novogorsk and JGP spots will be assigned shortly after. I wonder how many of the young Russian men we'll see there and who'll get the earliest JGPs in France. :unsure: