2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 182 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating

Climb

Rinkside
Country
Russia
Hmmmm, when was the last time Sasha won anything major? Junior Worlds? Her competitors for Olympics have proven themselves more stable under pressure and actually capable of performing well at RusNats, Euros and Worlds. Speaking about future, anyone who jumps quads like crazy with this kind of body is asking for trouble, I'm afraid...
Who are those competitors that won over her ? Kostornaya is not even close to her top form, Shcherbakova doesn't have a single quad right now and even if she recovers there are 3 spots available. Tuktamysheva, who still jumps +SEQ combos and has low base value ? Khromykh is inconsistent and has lower tech poterntial. Usacheva without any ultra-c.
Trusova on the other hand showed that she can land 5 quads this season. Yes she can bomb, but her scoring potential is extremely high.

LiamV426

On the Ice
Country
Scotland
And some thing on sashas dress, which I can't believe they actually let her go out with this , or any of the othe2r girls. I mean not one dress screams Olympic season, rather the opposite, the dresses are bad, compared to 4 years ago, . Why didn't they just go with a better version of sashas unstobbable dress ? Because when I saw her hair and the dress in 2019 I actually at first thought she would do soemthing that has to do with cruella .

I'm thinking at this point that none of the dresses are the final versions for the Eteri group, and whoever makes the Olympics will get new dresses worthy of the event. At least... that's what I'll be telling myself right up to Europeans. 😅

Medvedeva had 3 different FS dresses during her Olympic season if I remember correctly... the Leftovers dress, the black Anna Karenina (I *loved* this one!), and the final AK dress. Honestly all 3 of them were great, how can we not even have ONE good costume for 6 different girls this season but Zhenya can serve a whole runway collection by herself?? 😭

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Medvedeva had 3 different FS dresses during her Olympic season if I remember correctly... the Leftovers dress, the black Anna Karenina (I *loved* this one!), and the final AK dress. Honestly all 3 of them were great, how can we not even have ONE good costume for 6 different girls this season but Zhenya can serve a whole runway collection by herself?? 😭
There was also red Anna Karenina from Japan Open, I liked that one a lot! And I agree that last Olympic season's dresses in general were just better, both of Alina's were beautiful too.

LiamV426

On the Ice
Country
Scotland
There was also red Anna Karenina from Japan Open, I liked that one a lot! And I agree that last Olympic season's dresses in general were just better, both of Alina's were beautiful too.

Oh yeah I forgot that one! It was also lovely even though I prefer the other 2 (more unique imo). And yes Alina's Black Swan dress in particular was a stunner.

Fluture

Record Breaker
how can we not even have ONE good costume for 6 different girls this season but Zhenya can serve a whole runway collection by herself?? 😭

Because Olga‘s budget has been cut and now she makes all costumes out of the same three batches of fabrics. Salmon for Kamila and Daria, red for literally everyone and blue for Kosto that she recycled out of Akatieva‘s SP. :laugh:

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Because Olga‘s budget has been cut and now she makes all costumes out of the same three batches of fabrics. Salmon for Kamila and Daria, red for literally everyone and blue for Kosto that she recycled out of Akatieva‘s SP. :laugh:
I am SO glad I'm not the only one that noticed that, they basically have the same dress 😅

Maybe it's just me, but Daria's new dress kinda reminds me of Akatieva's Seven Nation Army dress. Same color and similar black accents on the one side.

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Someone on Reddit said she'd be disqualified for doing that
I always heard it was illegal to practice on official ice, but I hadn’t heard anything about other rinks, which Vegas area should have. Don’t know how they would track that either. Maybe just taking a day to rest the injury before competing too.

Hopefully no surprises like with the men’s lol. Her SP dress actually is nice! Haven’t seen any of the others yet, just a snapshot on insta. Really looking the most forward to seeing Daria.

EDIT: just saw Daria’s dress. They really are all cut from the same cloth, quite literally, lol. I think these two and Anna’s SP dress both look so much nicer than the rest… maybe Olga just needed time to get back into it and we’ll see her changing up the initial set that we saw. It looks like this orange is way more suited to Daria than Kamila so hopefully they just needed fabric for her dress and will swap it to more appropriately match her skin tone/hair color and the chasing butterflies theme. Same with Aliona’s.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
At this point, I‘m not even sure what the best strategy is for Sasha. On the one hand, she can still land triples quite well (though the landings looked harder than usually) and would win a medal with a clean triples layout, maybe even Gold. On the other hand, I‘m always worried about ankle injuries during the Olympic season. I know the situations aren‘t comparable but when Medvedeva pushed through in 2018 to skate at her GP events, she ended up with a broken bone that forced her out of Nationals entirely. For Sasha, that would be the end. Medvedeva made onto the team because of her reputation and the fact that only Zagitova was on the same level. But the field is just so stacked now that if Sasha doesn‘t skate at Nationals, she misses the Olympics. Period. So, with that being said, it might be better to give up on the GPF and take the hit in momentum but ensure that she‘s 100% fit for Nats. Idk. The whole situation sucks. I want her (and/or Aliona) to make the Olympics… :(
Skating at least the SP would be a good idea to make sure she fulfills the criteria for Nationals. But those landings looked rather uncomfortable for her.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Skating at least the SP would be a good idea to make sure she fulfills the criteria for Nationals. But those landings looked rather uncomfortable for her.
She has already fulfilled the criteria for Nationals. All you need is an GP assignment. You don't actually have to compete at the GPs.

icybear

Medalist
So Alexandra is just freshly injured, Anna has been having injuries issues this summer and had neck tape, Daria was injured and stopped her 3a training, Alena is having stamina and mentality issues. Anything for Maia and Kamila?
This season should have been the crowning jewel year for Team Eteri with her 6 elite skaters battling for the olympics but now what looked like definite 3 Eteri olympics spots are wobbling.
I guess the bad technique and relentless run through training really choose the year to pounce.

Artemisa

Final Flight
I'm thinking at this point that none of the dresses are the final versions for the Eteri group, and whoever makes the Olympics will get new dresses worthy of the event. At least... that's what I'll be telling myself right up to Europeans. 😅

You are right (.. maybe because they don't know who is going to the olympics or considering that some program aren't olympic enough maybe praying for a change of programs before doing a new dress.

P.S. In the other hand ... they can borrow the alegria dress from her ( because that is a program and a costume that smells olympic .. and it's pitty that she isn't in mix right now)

Fluture

Record Breaker
So Alexandra is just freshly injured, Anna has been having injuries issues this summer and had neck tape, Daria was injured and stopped her 3a training, Alena is having stamina and mentality issues. Anything for Maia and Kamila?
This season should have been the crowning jewel year for Team Eteri with her 6 elite skaters battling for the olympics but now what looked like definite 3 Eteri olympics spots are wobbling.
I guess the bad technique and relentless run through training really choose the year to pounce.

Wishful thinking. TeamTut skaters will occupy all three team spots and they‘ll medal at the Olympics. It might just be a completely new set, rather than the "old guard". Valieva, Khromykh and Usacheva are 15 - prime age. The heavy injuries caused by overworking and bad technique tend to happen later.

P.S. In the other hand ... they can borrow the alegria dress from her ( because that is a program and a costume that smells olympic .. and it's pitty that she isn't in mix right now)

Excuse me? Zhenya paid for that program and that dress. They're hers and hers alone. So, no she can't "borrow" it to someone else just because the supposedly greatest team in the history of the sport can't be bothered to create great costumes/choreography for their top Olympic contenders.

Anyway, I like Daria‘s dress. Not sure how it relates in any way to her program but at least it‘s pretty. Shame Kamila has like the exact same shade and colour for her SP.

ruga

Final Flight
Maiia's problem seems to be that her quads aren't that stable and without them she has little chances to break out. Kamila does 4-5 ultraC elements across 2 programs, which is risky, and she seems to be a bit of nervous competitor. Although I believe many problems we're seeing now will disappear by the time Olympics come. Can't even imagine what kind of dramatic season we're about to see...

Artemisa

Final Flight
Excuse me? Zhenya paid for that program and that dress. They're hers and hers alone. So, no she can't "borrow" it to someone else just because the supposedly greatest team in the history of the sport can't be bothered to create great costumes/choreography for their top Olympic contenders.

Anyway, I like Daria‘s dress. Not sure how it relates in any way to her program but at least it‘s pretty. Shame Kamila has like the exact same shade and colour for her SP.
I'm being ironic ... it's a way of saying the only dress that is true olympic isn't in the mix ... that they should learn form her

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Wishful thinking. TeamTut skaters will occupy all three team spots and they‘ll medal at the Olympics. It might just be a completely new set, rather than the "old guard". Valieva, Khromykh and Usacheva are 15 - prime age. The heavy injuries caused by overworking and bad technique tend to happen later.

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed with how things are starting this season for the Russians. I really like Anna, Alena, and Sasha the most. For whatever reason, Kamila just isn't connecting with me. Daria is my favorite of the new seniors.

Amei

Record Breaker
Who are those competitors that won over her ? Kostornaya is not even close to her top form, Shcherbakova doesn't have a single quad right now and even if she recovers there are 3 spots available. Tuktamysheva, who still jumps +SEQ combos and has low base value ? Khromykh is inconsistent and has lower tech poterntial. Usacheva without any ultra-c.
Trusova on the other hand showed that she can land 5 quads this season. Yes she can bomb, but her scoring potential is extremely high.

Trusova's high score-ability is definitely an asset to her being put on the team, but she has a knack for bombing in big competitions and the Olympics is a pretty big competition. It wouldn't surprise me if she got left off the team in favor of a skater that's more consistent with less quads when it comes to team selection time.

Well I think its a little early to be pouncing on doom and gloom, after all today is the first day of ladies competition for the first competition of the Grand Prix series. But I think we've said it in the past the benefit that the Japanese and American ladies have over the Russians is that they don't have near the bloodbath to go through to even get to the Olympics/Worlds.