2021 Autumn Classic: Free Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2021 Autumn Classic: Free Dance

skatemd1

On the Ice
Wow, Caroline and Michael! Love their choice of music, going slow and dramatic (when much of ice dance is speedy and frenetic).

Wow. that was riveting. Every movement, every moment. I enjoyed their unison moves too.
Totally agree. Loved how this program built in intensity from beginning to end. This was by far the best, most interesting (in fact mesmerizing) program I've seen so far this year (or last). The big takeaway I got from this event: G/P are for real. So refreshing, so different from the usual. Just loved it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry, but I hate that version of Long and Winding Road. I don't like Beatles covers much, but this one really rubbed me the wrong way. It was a song that meant I lot to me, and this rendition is just.....vile. The words are important, but you could barely hear what they were given the delivery and the over-orchestration.

rain

Record Breaker
The New Zealand team looked new in this program. The lifts and some of the other moves looked careful. But a good start.

Sales/Wamsteeker: This is a real quality pair now. They have beautiful lines, smooth lifts, smooth skating with what looked like good speed. This is now an example of a team I think who's a bit stuck by being behind so many other outstanding pairs in Canada. I was really impressed with them here. My one criticism is that I don't know that the generic ballad is helping them to stand out. They skated the heck out of it, the choreography was good, their expression was good, but the music choice just isn't special. I think if the expected retirements take place post-Olympics this team is poised to really move up. I thought they were very underscored.

Soucisse/Firus: I loved this program. Utterly charming. It fit them so well. Their choreographic slide was all the points. I thought their speed looked great throughout. This team is on the upward climb. Once again, I thought it was underscored. This is one I'm looking forward to seeing again. I think this can really help to build their reputation up again. Carolane once again rocking the really trendy costumes, this time the lingerie-inspired trend with the lace and satin.

Lajoie/Lagha: I really like this program. I will always and forever love the flying lift that they open the program with. I thought they can work on building the program a little more towards the end (I'm sure it's exhausting). I thought the twizzles looked maybe a little off today.

Green/Parsons: I didn't like their short dance. I found their hip hop totally unconvincing. But this I loved. I loved the choreography and quiet of this dance. Their lines were stunning. The costumes are perfect, I hope they don't change them. This should make them stand out in the crowded U.S. dance field. There were a few tiny moments where I thought they still need to work in finishing the movement and connecting it to the next, but that will come through the season. I really look forward to seeing this again. So unique. Loved the stationary life. Loved all of the arm movement — very effective.

Smart/Diaz: Opposite of Green and Parsons, I loved S/D's RD, but didn't like this overall. There were good moments, and it was well skated for the most part, but it loses me when the lyrics kick in. The faux sword-fighting can definitely go — too on the nose.

Gilles/Poirier: Well, I think I love it. I'll have to watch it a few more times to catch all of the choreographic nuances. I'm glad they did a cover of this song, because I don't think the original would work at all. A few things to work on — I'm sure they'll take a look at how that lift with her clinging to his back looks and make some adjustments — though I love that first position with her leg up, though of course it needs to be smoothed out a bit. Also I think they should look at the end lift again. Love the sliding moves. The one foot footwork section was incredible — so fast, so smooth, so perfect, great edges. The phrasing of the twizzles was amazing. The expression will only get better as the season goes. I approve.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why did Lajoie/Lagha repeat last year's FD? They skated it at Worlds 2021. Why repeat going into the Olympic season?? Seems strange to me. They should consider that while Chock/Bates' snake FD was well received in its first year, but the following year, it was old news and had lost its originality.

A young team like L/L should be showing the judges artistic growth, not playing the safety card.

rain

Record Breaker
Why did Lajoie/Lagha repeat last year's FD? They skated it at Worlds 2021. Why repeat going into the Olympic season?? Seems strange to me. They should consider that while Chock/Bates' snake FD was well received in its first year, but the following year, it was old news and had lost its originality.

A young team like L/L should be showing the judges artistic growth, not playing the safety card.
I'd normally agree with you, but I think you have to consider just how little the Canadian skaters got to skate during the 2020 COVID season. They maybe got to perform this program one other time besides worlds. I don't blame them for wanting to hang on to it. It's not like we saw it 10 times competed during the season.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But they DID perform it at Worlds! ISU judges have seen it, and unless it's a lot different (which it isn't) it's a risk to do it again at both Olympics and Worlds.

The bird idea was a novelty last year, but now it isn't. It's a do-over.

ALL the ice dancers had to deal with CoVID and lost skating opportunities---but so far I haven't seen repeat FDs, except L/L's.

rain

Record Breaker
But they DID perform it at Worlds! ISU judges have seen it, and unless it's a lot different (which it isn't) it's a risk to do it again at both Olympics and Worlds.

ALL the ice dancers had to deal with CoVID and lost skating opportunities---but so far I haven't seen repeat FDs, except L/L's.
So international judges have seen it exactly one time, and never with a live audience. I don't think it's that big of a risk. What I think this program has going for it is that it stands out from the crowd.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight

FB/S also Canadian and also using their same free dance for the exact same reason as rain said. The Canadians did not get a lot of mileage on any new programmes last year. I don’t think there is anything wrong considering that at last year’s worlds tons of teams (S|K, C/B, G/P, S/B, F/G) kept their FDs from the previous year, which were all seen a lot more in competition apart from the cancelled world championships. I barely feel like I’ve seen LaLa’s or the Danadians FD’s from last year so still feels fresh IMO.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It made sense that a bunch of skaters kept their FDs after Worlds 2020 was cancelled, because they wanted to perform them at a World Championship, which they did at W2021.

L/L got to perform their bird-themed FD at Worlds 2021. Maybe Guignard / Fabbri are repeating their FD, but they are a well-established top-6 team. L/L are top echelon wannabes, and repeating a program they used at their very first WC is far more risky.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Isn't it interesting how some people complain that Skate Canada was not able to hold skating competitions last year, and then, some others complain when skaters repeat their free dance. I believe that it makes perfect sense : Lala and the Canes didn't get to skate in a real competition until worlds last year.... where there was no audience. On top of that, Lala are a very young team achieving high base values but looking to earn their GOE and PCS points.. Not only they had barely any mileage with it, but it's a great vehicle for them, with an established high BV, to work on refinement that will get them to score higher. Many teams repeat programs. It used to be a taboo in ice dance, but it isn't anymore.

viennaskater

Medalist
Kaitlyn Weaver mentioned that Green/Parsons' FD made her think she was watching a dance on stage. I know just what she means. It was like a contemporary dance and absolutely smooth and innovative. It reminded me that ice is a special medium by which you can perform amazing things, but if you can reproduce ballet, ballroom and contemporary dance on it to an extent that the onlooker almost forget it's on ice, then that is a great achievement. Ice is slippery stuff - the smoother you can make the program look, the better, whether it's dance OR single skating. But this particularly applies to ice dance, when you are often showcasing dance genres.