2021 JGP Austria: Women's Short Program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2021 JGP Austria: Women's Short Program

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Agree with this. Sofia and Isabeau are my two newfound loves this season. Everything about Isabeau's SP is perfect (except her combo) and I hate Sofia's SP but she is so wonderful that she makes me tolerate it.

I appreciate Zinina and she has a lovely smile, but Isabeau and Sofia are just in another class performance-wise
I think she will get there. This year she (Zinina) had incredible growth from where she was, and not just the 4T attempts.

In the free through, i am curious to see if Levito’s team worked on that second part, because Murav’yeva’s in my eyes was just spot on already. yes, I know people don’t like the lyrics and the gunshot, but her performance was so on, and on each darn word of the lyrics last time… it was just fab. Well, we’ll see.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
It looks right now that the only way the Alternate List will come into play, is if Levito wins tomorrow and Zhilina wd.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think she will get there. This year she (Zinina) had incredible growth from where she was, and not just the 4T attempts.

In the free through, i am curious to see if Levito’s team worked on that second part, because Murav’yeva’s in my eyes was just spot on already. yes, I know people don’t like the lyrics and the gunshot, but her performance was so on, and on each darn word of the lyrics last time… it was just fab. Well, we’ll see.
Sofia's FS really works for her, she makes me accept the music and voiceovers. She sells it so well.

I think Zinina shows more personality in the FS, despite having to focus on the quad at the beginning. This SP is pretty, but I remember the FS more.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
To me, Levito should have won the SP today. Looking at Muravieva’s combo that -3T was arguably UR or was a q at best (certainly this wasn’t a PB performance for me).

Both Levito and Muravieva were overscored on their combos though with all those +3s for combos that were barely eked out and had tightness/form break on the 3Z.

Climb

Rinkside
Country
Russia
To me, Levito should have won the SP today. Looking at Muravieva’s combo that -3T was arguably UR or was a q at best (certainly this wasn’t a PB performance for me).

Both Levito and Muravieva were overscored on their combos though with all those +3s for combos that were barely eked out and had tightness/form break on the 3Z.
But you have no problem with that 3Lze-3T< from Levito :laugh2:

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I just got back from work and watched the skates of the first three. What can I say? :) It's bad when you're already too well versed in figure skating - I feel ashamed of the judges.
They could at least call 3Lz! to Levito and Lz+3Tq to Sonya.

The technical team, dears, it was really awkward, come on :) And then there is talk about strong federations infringing on the rights of small federations. Because of such an undisguised disgrace. Girls are good without lying.

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
Sorry, but no. I agree that judging was a joke as always - and Muravieva's 3T was definitely URed. But the real clownery were Levito's PCS in relation to Russians. You see, I watched Linz SP not in real time - but skipping majority of weak skaters - since they weren't interesting to me. So as the result it happens that I saw Levito skate just after Russians. And while she looked very advantageously on the backgroung of various low-level skaters (of which majority of this event consisted) - I just thought for a moment that I accidently forgot to restore video from slo-mo speed when checked jumps just before. Levito is no match to Russians in terms of speed and easiness of movements on ice - all her moves were slow and cautious (she reminded me somewhat Wang in that aspect - of course she is much better than Wang, but still). Yet she received PCS practically equal to Muravieva's. That's what I call judging bias/incompetence.
So I would place them like this:
1) Zinina
2) Muravieva
3) Levito

P.S.: also, Varvara Kisel was underscored as always. She definitely wasn't THAT bad in PCS.

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sofia 😍! Good job. Skating is more than just 3A and quad jumps. I hope she hangs on in the free. If Zinina lands her two 4T, there might be nothing she can do to make up that technical deficit. But, at least she skates last and can adjust her program layout depending on what happens prior to her free skate. She may have to pull out a 4S, she has never landed before, just to have a chance. I have a feeling Levito is going to attempt a 4T. She has nothing to lose as she has already qualified to the finals and she might as well attempt this jump here. Overall, I agree, judges were too lenient with their calls.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Sorry, but no. I agree that judging was a joke as always - and Muravieva's 3T was definitely URed. But the real clownery were Levito's PCS in relation to Russians. You see, I watched Linz SP not in real time - but skipping majority of weak skaters - since they weren't interesting to me. So as the result it happens that I saw Levito skate just after Russians. And while she looked very advantageously on the backgroung of various low-level skaters (of which majority of this event consisted) - I just thought for a moment that I accidently forgot to restore video from slo-mo speed when checked jumps just before. Levito is no match to Russians in terms of speed and easiness of movements on ice - all her moves were slow and cautious (she reminded me somewhat Wang in that aspect - of course she is much better than Wang, but still). Yet she received PCS practically equal to Muravieva's. That's what I call judging bias/incompetence.
So I would place them like this:
1) Zinina
2) Muravieva
3) Levito

P.S.: also, Varvara Kisel was underscored as always. She definitely wasn't THAT bad in PCS.
To each their own but Zinina doesn't do it for me. There's still an awkwardness about her and her posture really needs improvement. She barely smiled until her jumps were out of the way, and she also very noticeably finished well behind the music. And the program itself was a snoozefest and felt quite generic. Levito has much nicer carriage, very elegant arms, the best flexibility of the top 3, hits her spin positions faster (needs work on centering though) and there's a softness and ease to her skating, and a level of polish (I get the Cohen parallels) - her SP is divine, really, and a perfect example of playing to a skater's strengths. Muravieva I actually really liked too - great expression and maintaining the character of the music, and there's complexity in her program. NMQP is a hard piece to do justice (especially after Kostner), but Muravieva did. Like the judges, I'd have Muravieva slightly ahead on PCS, but slightly behind overall based on the combo UR. But I'm sorry, just because Levito isn't Russian doesn't mean her choreography/skating ability/presentation/etc. aren't on par or better in certain areas. If she were Russian, some of y'all would want her to be in first. Zhilina is just not there yet - I know she'll bring the quads in the FS and likely move up, but she's not a 30 PCS/70+ SP skater yet and her PCS in relation to Muravieva/Levito is exactly where it should have been. If not for the quads I wouldn't say Zinina is even a 200+ total score skater yet.

Last edited:

Fluture

Record Breaker
To each their own but Zinina doesn't do it for me. There's still an awkwardness about her and her posture really needs improvement. She barely smiled until her jumps were out of the way, and she also very noticeably finished well behind the music. And the program itself was a snoozefest and felt quite generic. Levito has much nicer carriage, very elegant arms, the best flexibility of the top 3, hits her spin positions faster (needs work on centering though) and there's a softness and ease to her skating, and a level of polish (I get the Cohen parallels) - her SP is divine, really, and a perfect example of playing to a skater's strengths. Muravieva I actually really liked too - great expression and maintaining the character of the music, and there's complexity in her program. NMQP is a hard piece to do justice (especially after Kostner), but Muravieva did. Like the judges, I'd have Muravieva slightly ahead on PCS, but slightly behind overall based on the combo UR. But I'm sorry, just because Levito isn't Russian doesn't mean her choreography/skating ability/presentation/etc. aren't on par or better in certain areas. If she were Russian, some of y'all would want her to be in first. Zhilina is just not there yet - I know she'll bring the quads in the FS and likely move up, but she's not a 30 PCS/70+ SP skater yet and her PCS in relation to Muravieva/Levito is exactly where it should have been. If not for the quads I wouldn't say Zinina is even a 200+ total score skater yet.
But Levito had at least as bad a combo and she has a noticeable flutz, too…. I actually really liked her a lot (her and Sofia were my favorites) but her 3Lz+3T definitely wasn‘t better or more rotated than Muravieva's.

Agree about Zinina, though. Good for her for doing well and she'll likely win tomorrow due to the quads but she‘s not yet on the level of Sofia and Isabeau in terms of performance and movement quality.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Agree about Zinina, though. Good for her for doing well and she'll likely win tomorrow due to the quads but she‘s not yet on the level of Sofia and Isabeau in terms of performance and movement quality.
Zinina’s quads are not of the stellar quality. She will not necessarily land them. I would wait till tomorrow to see who (if anyone) nabs the last assignment. The three way competition is exciting to watch.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
But Levito had at least as bad a combo and she has a noticeable flutz, too…. I actually really liked her a lot (her and Sofia were my favorites) but her 3Lz+3T definitely wasn‘t better or more rotated than Muravieva's.

Noticeable flutz? She hasn't been called on it. In fact, she was given a ! on her flip at Courchevel which suggests she's more lutzy than flippy.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Honestly i don't see what is so special about Muravieva. I was "who's this girl?!" the first time i saw Kostornaia and Sinitsyna. Not with Muravieva.
Yes she's vivacious and she matches the drama of this music (or rather the choreo, but she delivers it well). But that's all?
I don't get a score that high for that skate. I would have had the top 3 at 68-69. All within a point.

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Rushes in to watch Sofia M and Nastya Z.

Sofia's artistry is truly beautiful! Although is her costume new? I kind of liked the purple one.

But her transitions out of the flip are really lovely! She has a way of making them look organic rather than "Better put these in to up that score". She gets an SB! :cheer:

Onto Nastya! I love her SP music.

I wonder if Dima M gets a crink in his neck from the way he watches his students ;)

And I love that Nastya finishes on a step sequence! Wonderfully done!! 🥰

Now I wonder...there won't be 7 different winners so are both Sofia and Nastya likely to make the final? As long as they come in 1st and 2nd here? I think that's right.

Time zone permitting I have my fingers crossed I can catch the top 3 live at least. :)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I appreciate Zinina and she has a lovely smile, but Isabeau and Sofia are just in another class performance-wise

It's interesting, to me they were very comparable. I remember Zinina from Ice Age Russia, she was on team Navka and known for her performance qualities.

Isabeau holds more her positions and has more transitions (probably the transitions are why she is ahead), great knee bend in the combination to pull off that 3toe, but Anastasia skates faster and i think she has a better jumping technique.

While Sofia skates very big with that great speed and musicality so she kind is best of both worlds in the second mark.

The quads in the free will decide the medals as always.

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
...because Murav’yeva’s in my eyes was just spot on already. yes, I know people don’t like the lyrics and the gunshot, but her performance was so on, and on each darn word of the lyrics last time… it was just fab
Good news I'm pretty sure they took the gunshot out, at least I don't remember hearing it in Kosice. The voice overs are still there but I found them easier to deal with...

But yes it'll be exciting to see how it goes in the FS.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I wonder if Dima M gets a crink in his neck from the way he watches his students
I was waiting for someone else to notice that too :laugh: Dima has the best voodoo eyes since Morozombie...
IIRC the gunshot was still there in Kosice, but she was less in a hurry to finish than at test skates, so it fitted in better. I don't mind either way, I love the programme :D

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was waiting for someone else to notice that too :laugh:
Sometimes I notice the weirdest things...like the next skater warming up in the background or someone in a weird hat.

I decided to go easier on Morozombie after really getting into a program and doing basically the same swaying thing he does :laugh2: and I'm not even a coach!

IIRC the gunshot was still there in Kosice, but she was less in a hurry to finish than at test skates, so it fitted in better. I don't mind either way, I love the programme :D
Interesting I might go and check, perhaps I was too busy cheering to notice it at the time.

I'm a bit sad though, I thought the girls were starting around the same time as the boys so hoped the final group would be up at around 7am, but alas it'll be 4am. So I'll probably miss it. Booo.