2022 Four Continents: Men's Free Skate | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2022 Four Continents: Men's Free Skate

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jimmy Ma

(on his season overall) Generally speaking it was an upward spiral. The general direction of (my) skating is going up and I’m already very proud of that. Making it to a Championship level event - that was a goal for this year - so that was successful. In future seasons I’ll know how to pace myself a little better. This season was extremely exhausting, albeit extremely rewarding - even on the crap days like this - and I’m nothing but grateful for the opportunity.

(on skating to his anime music, Attack on Titan) First of all it’s a bomb ass show. Second of all it’s got really beautifully haunting music and it’s something that I’ve always wanted to skate to. Nikolai (Morozov, his choreographer, finally) agreed to it because it’s pretty damn good music!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mikhail Shaidorov

A very good skate today, in the end I got a bit confused with the element I didn’t practice much - decided to jump it but it was a bit off. I did the flip Axel a while ago and at the end of the program it was a bit off.

(on the music) My coach Alexei Urmanov chose this music and choreographed with our choreographer, I love the program, the music.

(on not performing much) I don’t always get a chance to go competing and even when I do since it happens so seldom somethings things don’t go as it should. The competitions this season went well. (on future plans) The senior worlds, I will try to do my best there.

(on the levels of spins and steps) It happened, in the program I can’t always do what I plan, I have to work on the technique, presentation and do the steps. But it’s not bad. As for the future we want to add more technical content, to add more quads. I had tried and landed a Sal, Lutz and flip in the practice but integrating that into the programs is harder, I’ll keep working.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tomoki Hiwatashi

(on his performance today) Not the best, obviously. I could have done a lot better on (my quad) toe and on (triple) Axel for sure, too.

(on his immediate goal) For now it’s a good time to rest, take in the good things that I did, and reflect on the things that I wasn’t able to do. I’ve been talking about consistency a lot, not just this season but throughout the past seasons too, and I really feel like that’s the part where I really need to get better at and I’ll continue to work on that.

(on his future) I would still like to compete next season and do the best I can. In terms of the next four years... I think it’s really up to how my relationship goes with skating - it goes on and off sometimes. I feel like continuing is the goal for now and doing what I can, reaching the goals that I wasn’t able to this season and these (past) 4 years.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sihyeong Lee

Obviously the time was quite short in between the Four Continents and Beijing 2022. I decided to come here because it’s a great chance to compete for myself before the Olympics. Through the free skating and short program, I learned a lot from the mistakes and I’ll do better in Beijing. I’m looking forward to it!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sena Miyake

(on today's program) In my last steps and spins I made some mistakes, but I was able to land all jumps at the Four Continents, so I'm satisfied.

(on his learning experience) Most skaters who are going to Beijing are not here, but top skaters from Asia came to compete at Four Continents, so it was a very good experience. In practicing together, I learned what I need to work on to compete on this high level.

(on going to Four Continents with Daisuke Takahashi) It was an honor and I was happy to be on the same team. I watched their (Muramoto/Takahashi’s) free dance and learned what kind of skating I want to achieve. It was amazing to see them on the podium.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Brendan Kerry

(on his performance and competition overall) This event has been unlike the others and it was really frustrating having to trying to compete for the Olympic spot I earned again, a week and a half ahead of the Olympic Games. Unfortunately, that was a stressful factor, I mean, I felt really confident, but you never know what anyone can do on the day. Unfortunately, as far as this event is concerned, a lot of focus is wasted. You go out to do the best you can, unfortunately I had it in my mind and my focus was to come here and to do a certain job.

(on his injury) It’s been happening for a few years. I withdrew from the Worlds last year because I had a really bad bone stress injury. About a week ago my left leg started to really, really hurting. I spoke to the coaches, and we went to see a doctor, we did an x-ray and they kind of gave me an ultimatum “listen, we are not saying it will break, but it certainly could at any moment, so you can either stop competing now, rest the leg or we going to have to change how we’ve been training and to be very, very careful”. We pulled back on practicing quads, I’m on the ice for no more than 20 minutes at a time now, and lots of ice (for the leg), I walk around, I don’t do anything, I go to the rink, I warm-up, I skate, that’s it.

(on competing here as preparations for the Olympics) On one hand, it’s good because you get into the rhythm of things, but on the other hand it’s really irritating when you have to compete back-to-back, because nobody wants to go to a competition and not trying to do their best.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kao Miura

In yesterday's training I pulled a muscle, it hurt so much that at first I didn't know how it would turn out. But it turned out well and I am satisfied.

(on his injury) It hurt a lot. I had it checked out by the doctor, but he told me it wasn't going to get worse. It made me feel a little lighter. I had a good short program, so I wanted to do a good free skate. In the second half my left foot didn't move, but because of the adrenaline I was able to jump the toeloop on the warm-up, which I didn't do in training.

(on winning a medal) The day before yesterday I said I didn't want to think about the ranking, but after I got a good score in the short program, I worked more on the ranking. The result was good.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kazuki Tomono

I had a few mistakes. This time I tried hard to win, but there were components that I didn't succeed in. Junhwan (Cha) was really amazing and during the training, I felt his aura. Accordingly I lost and I think I also still lack the experience.

(Pressure) I was under a lot of pressure. Since this morning I was a bit immobile, but I could make a good performance and I gave everything. This time I am very satisfied. I have regrets that I haven't felt before, but the fact that I have persevered on a new stage makes me very happy.

(on his development) In terms of technique, I've come a long way this year and it was very fun. I was able to do my best again after four years of stagnation and this is a successful year for me.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Juhwan Cha

I was a little nervous, but I tried to enjoy the competition and my free skating. There were little mistakes, but I am still pleased. I was happy to perform here for the audience and give my energy. When coming here, I did not think about medals and placements, for me it was another step towards the Olympic. I’ll go in two and a half weeks and I will train hard to be better.

(on Four Continents) This is my third Four Continents. I was in the USA and Korea, now for the third one I went to Tallinn. This experience is more fresh, feels better. I think this is the first time the Four Continents are in Europe so it’s special. I’m happy to be able to come to Tallinn.

(on this training) I was training in Canada and because of Covid I came to Korea. I keep trying and just keep working hard while in Korea. I have a lot of fans and my family in Korea and a lot of Koreans were helping me. The Covid pandemic is hard time but I kept trying training hard and trying to improve more by myself.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So so competition for me. The men kind of drive me crazy with the ups and downs of the programs.

Cha and Tomono are the most balanced programs in terms to TES and PCS. Cha’s 3Lz-3Lo is what made the difference. This combo is a beauty and I wish more men and women attempted these loop combos. Just with this jump, I rooted for Cha.

Kao, I missed his performance at Japanese Nationals. The speed he gets when going into his quads is wow! But, he is so unpolished. His spins are so wonky and his step sequence is all over the place. Also, his combos are -2T twice and eu-2S, he just leaves so many points off the table. His PCS is just too frantic. Im disappointed because I expected more from a Japanese skater. I will be rooting for Ilia at Junior Worlds. Sena is similar too….don’t like his artistry, at all. So, I only liked Tomono out of the Japanese skaters.

Last note was that I thought Joseph Phan was under scored. He was terrific and I liked his performance despite no quads. Would have put him at number 6, overall.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
He had to skate clean at previous Worlds to get an Olympic spot, but he didn't even qualify for the free 😭
There was pressure then. No pressure of Olympics now, and no one counts him as favourite. Plus, I'm sure he improved since last season.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm kind of over LLL programs, but Kazuki's is special. He skates with joy and energy. Just love watching him.

I'm sorry to hear that the Australian fed made Brendan skate here with an injury so close to the Olympics. So ridiculous. Reminds me of the French fed making Kevin Aymoz skate at SA when he clearly wasn't in shape.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Both Joseph and Corey earned Personal Best scores for the free skate! 👏 There are no individual YouTube vids of the Canadian guys' long programs, so for those of you who don't want to search hours of footage, I provide these links for your convenience.

2022 Joseph Phan 4CC LP (ISU 1080p):

2022 Corey Circelli 4CC LP (ISU 1080p); as always, Dailymotion hates Corey's music choices.

Last edited:

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I’m here, just in time for a long-legged Canadian man in pink who is not Roman Sadovsky

ETA: he has a very different vibe from Roman, though, and fabulous hair

Roman has Jeffrey Buttle vibes (who was his hero growing up), while Corey carries the vibes of a young Emanuel Sandhu (@anonymoose_au and @4everchan have backed me up this).

And I 100% agree that Corey's hair is stunning! 👨‍🦱

That was so good! Especially after hearing all about Jo's struggles getting here.

Good job, I am a Phan ;)

Here's another pun you might appreciate; I coined it for Joseph when I first met him in Aug. 2017: Phan-tastic! :biggrin:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Jimmy Ma

(on his season overall) Generally speaking it was an upward spiral. The general direction of (my) skating is going up and I’m already very proud of that. Making it to a Championship level event - that was a goal for this year - so that was successful. In future seasons I’ll know how to pace myself a little better. This season was extremely exhausting, albeit extremely rewarding - even on the crap days like this - and I’m nothing but grateful for the opportunity.

(on skating to his anime music, Attack on Titan) First of all it’s a bomb ass show. Second of all it’s got really beautifully haunting music and it’s something that I’ve always wanted to skate to. Nikolai (Morozov, his choreographer, finally) agreed to it because it’s pretty damn good music!
Love to hear some skaters likes to watch anime! And a lot of anime has great music :)