2022 Olympics Team Event Day1: Rhythm Dance | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event Day1: Rhythm Dance

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am sure a lot of people would like the costumes to go away :) Ok.. easy joke... but yes. I agree with your comment. I am fine with costumes being used : i cannot imagine figure skaters just wearing speed skating like outfits like it's been attempted before ;) I also don't think the ISU wants to add rules to the sport... all I am asking is that skaters do not get bashed because they have a daring orange fashion sense :)
I like their costumes. Orange is not my favourite color but I think it shows originality.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am quoting your post but I could have quoted so many others who have mentioned the orange costumes. Nothing personal.

I think the costumes are fun. I like them. Yes, they are not accurate but I am not sure we needed another fuchsia or suit costume... these were in your face, lighthearted and quirky !

My point though : figure skating while being entertaining, using music, themes and costumes, is a sport... not a fashion show. Skaters should not be judged differently because of what they wear... This is not just about Piper and Paul. It gets tiring that this is all people write about.

What about their blades? Their leg extension? Their deep knees? Their very impressive twizzles that covered so much ice and were so in synch (yet only scored level 3s?) I feel that a lot of people are happy to blast some skaters on their costumes because they cannot fault them for their skating. (not saying you did that at all)

Also, after having a second look at PCS : judges liked Piper and Paul. They didn't get their levels here... though Carol Lane said it was their best skate of that RD this year, they were perhaps a bit stiff or cautious.

I am not sure we will see Canada in the FD and if so, who knows if they will skate or be replaced to rest.. but I certainly hope that their skating will be appreciated and valued, no matter what they wear or what music they chose. They offer something very special and have not been rewarded easily like some other teams.

As you noticed, I didn't comment on their skating, I love their skating and their quirky personalities. I was critical of the packaging and theme of their program. While packaging or costumes is not something that is on a PCS scoresheet, it can influence the judges and how they score the overall program. I personally think that not only are the costumes not relevant to the music and era they were skating to, they are downright distracting, especially the new one Piper was sporting.

I also noticed that they were behind G/F - who were skating to another musical icon - Michael Jackson. Marco's costume is instantly recognizable as 80s/90s MJ and right on target. Like I said, the orange jumpsuits looked like Abba or Elvis, straight out of the mid 1970s. I stand by my opinion and yes, it's just that - an opinion shaped by my growing up at the time and seeing these images on MTV.

And if you think I'm only picking on PnP, I think the other major Elton costume - the Vera Wang top for Nathan's Rocketman is terrible. He looks like a bag of Cheetos. I still love Nathan as a skater though.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As you noticed, I didn't comment on their skating, I love their skating and their quirky personalities. I was critical of the packaging and theme of their program. While packaging or costumes is not something that is on a PCS scoresheet, it can influence the judges and how they score the overall program. I personally think that not only are the costumes not relevant to the music and era they were skating to, they are downright distracting, especially the new one Piper was sporting.

I also noticed that they were behind G/F - who were skating to another musical icon - Michael Jackson. Marco's costume is instantly recognizable as 80s/90s MJ and right on target. Like I said, the orange jumpsuits looked like Abba or Elvis, straight out of the mid 1970s. I stand by my opinion and yes, it's just that - an opinion shaped by my growing up at the time and seeing these images on MTV.

And if you think I'm only picking on PnP, I think the other major Elton costume - the Vera Wang top for Nathan's Rocketman is terrible. He looks like a bag of Cheetos. I still love Nathan as a skater though.
Too bad that Marco's moves looked nothing like Michael Jackson's moves though ;) I was much more convinced by Piper and Paul's blues than some other interpretations we saw of this RD's theme. Honestly, it's one of my least favourite themes for ice dance..Very few people can nail it and please me... PS I know you were not discussing the skating. We all have our pet peeves ... but I think i had an orangitis :)

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So many letters with zero proof of corruption. No court will hold it.
Well, you have an issue with comprehension apparently. As I said, this has nothing to do with conspiracy. Corruption, eh! Like I said, these ingrained practices are part of the sport. None of these practices are ever going to come before a court of law, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. LOL!

speed100

Spectator
Well, you have an issue with comprehension apparently. As I said, this has nothing to do with conspiracy. Corruption, eh! Like I said, these ingrained practices are part of the sport. None of these practices are ever going to come before a court of law, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. LOL!
Much ado about nothing. No material proof of wrongdoing.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Much ado about nothing. No material proof of wrongdoing.
Yep, so no need for your making a big OTT legalese deal out of the fact that scoring is routinely impacted by behind-the-scenes politicking. It's business as usual in this sport. ;)

Ice Diva

On the Ice

Each to his/her own but I disagree. Dance is interpretative, not literal and G/P + team are masters of interpretation/thinking outside the box, which is sometimes risky. I don't think they're targeting any era - too obvious - but setting an atmosphere. IMO their costumes are loosely based on Taron Egerton's orange "Rocketman devil suit" that he wears in the opening scenes of the 2019 "Rocketman" movie, a biopic of Elton John's life. Without the wings and hood with horns of course. LOL

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Each to his/her own but I disagree. Dance is interpretative, not literal and G/P + team are masters of interpretation/thinking outside the box, which is sometimes risky. I don't think they're targeting any era - too obvious - but setting an atmosphere. IMO their costumes are loosely based on Taron Egerton's orange "Rocketman devil suit" that he wears in the opening scenes of the 2019 "Rocketman" movie, a biopic of Elton John's life. Without the wings and hood with horns of course. LOL
I did not see Rocketman, so thank you for visual reference. I still see a disconnect between the costumes and music, but again it's my opinion and YMMV.