2022 U.S. Championships: Senior Women's Short Program | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Championships: Senior Women's Short Program

labgoat

Thinking about art & life...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I totally get that. :) (I'm suffering from it a bit right this minute!) I may have been a bit school-teacher-ish in my response. It's just that honestly, so many people -- especially Americans -- acted as if Ashley Wagner's accomplishments were illusory, or flukes, or ... I don't know what they thought, but they denigrated her accomplishments. But her competitive record is unmatched since Kwan retired. And I am not about to let people forget about it. It was very important to her to compete at a high level internationally.
I loved Ashley Wagner. She had spunk and worked hard to get where she was. She was always interesting, never boring. I though about her La La Land skate and how beautiful it was while watching another Ashley like skater Jill Heiner. I wondered how good could Ashley have been had she been able to learn from someone like Malinina for jumps.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rest assured, I was all set to swoop in like a Valkyrie and set my keyboard on fire with a hot defense of Ashley -- only to cool off instantly when I saw you had already beat me to it, and did a much better job than I would have, too. :rofl::biggrin::thank:

I question that -- you did a beautiful job, just with your allusion to swooping in "like a Valkyrie" :rock: Very appropriate. Ashley belongs in the Halls.

ETA: I cannot, cannot let this opportunity go by without telling you that within a half hour's drive of my home (where many Swedes and Danish were the original immigrant-settlers) there's a town consisting of a few intersections, as far as I can tell -- called Walhalla. And the locals pronounce it like "wall" not "val." Drives me a bit crazy. :tantrum:

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I wouldn’t put too much stock into what she says (although I do find that last statement kind of odd coming from a competitor of her level - why WOULDN’T she?)

Maybe that is just her way to handle pressure (to have skating as a hobby, etc.)?

skatingiscool

On the Ice
Maybe that is just her way to handle pressure (to have skating as a hobby, etc.)?
May be it's just her true teens personality? I guess we are all too old to understand nowadays teenager's logic. Why we have to analyze every word and every sentence what she says on Instagram? Let kids be kids. :rock:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
May be it's just her true teens personality? I guess we are all too old to understand nowadays teenager's logic. Why we have to analyze every word and every sentence what she says on Instagram? Let kids be kids. :rock:
It wasn’t on IG. It was in an interview. I mean she’s not just a kid. She’s the top US women’s skater and Olympic team member.